Has Somersoft changed or have I?

Ach. I can't believe this thread got so messy.

So many displeased forumites... so many deleted posts... RIP shuggy

And for those who think property/economic/political/social dissenters are unwelcome here, why is it so many contrarians have loads of kudos? Could it be because, you know, their posts are actually appreciated?

There's a non-cookie-cutter exodus. It's a shame.

One thing to be clear on.

Posts were not deleted because they expressed a contrarian view. They were deleted because of language- expressed in a way which belittled the poster they were responding to.

A well reasoned opinion, kept on topic, with respectful responses will not be badly regarded by the mods or (generally) by the forum members.

Posts were not deleted because they expressed a contrarian view. They were deleted because of language- expressed in a way which belittled the poster they were responding to.

A well reasoned opinion, kept on topic, with respectful responses will not be badly regarded by the mods or (generally) by the forum members.

Understood. I didn't for a moment believe posts were deleted because they presented opposing views. I was on two separate tangents.

And, yes, I realise the above clarification wasn't only for my benefit.

If those green dots went up to twenty, i'd have twenty seven of them :)

A lot of kudos is given to me by people who disagree with things privately but would never state it publicly on here. They're mostly scared of getting hammered by the majority group of the forum who sort of dont like being disagreed with.

For one, look at the reaction to most of Jaycees posts. :rolleyes:

Ach. I can't believe this thread got so messy.

So many displeased forumites... so many deleted posts... RIP shuggy

And for those who think property/economic/political/social dissenters are unwelcome here, why is it so many contrarians have loads of kudos? Could it be because, you know, their posts are actually appreciated?

There's a non-cookie-cutter exodus. It's a shame.

Not quite true Geoff. That's not the ONLY reason posts (or whole threads) are deleted. Or kept.

A lot of kudos is given to me by people who disagree with things privately but would never state it publicly on here. They're mostly scared of getting hammered by the majority group of the forum who sort of dont like being disagreed with.

This is true of kudos given to other posters too, those with opposing views to you. I'm sure you realise that, but thought it worth mentioning.

I agree with evand, this place has become pretty boring.

When property is booming it's an exciting prospect to discuss, how to go from rags to riches, become a property millionaire on minimum wage, flip a property in a week for a years salary, etc.

When property is initially turning (from bull to bear) it's an exciting time due to the lively debates that occur about the future direction of property and the driving factors (many of the best debates I can recall on this forum were 2009/2010).

When property prices are correcting, fewer are making money so excitement wears off and it's pretty pointless for the bears to rub it in. This is the rut SS is in now IMHO. If the decline starts to accelerate (IMO possible, but not likely) then things may start to get heated again.

Many recent negatively geared property buyers are now getting the 1-2 blow from falling prices as well as having to shell out $ each week to hold the depreciating asset. Is it any wonder things have gotten less lively around these parts.

Hobo and I are still considered kooks because of our belief in the metals. Don't know about Hobo, but my thoughts on the miners have changed markedly in the last six months, but nobody could know.
What a pitiful 12 months the Gold miners have had! I certainly wouldn't have expected them to have performed so poorly with the price of Gold where it is today. That said most of the exploration and mining sector seems to be full of boneheads and leaches. Companies who have spent more on administration than on exploration, who have mined resources that weren't at grades expected, who have bought on directors who don't have the right skills and experience... it really is a minefield out there.

I think what has happened is the bear camp who thought property will fall 40% based on their research seemed to have got it wrong so they have disappeared/quietened. Whereas the bull camp who thought property will continue to do what it did over last few years (ie. grow at 10%+) haven't had much luck either with property mostly going sideways over past few years with few gains and few loses here and there in between.
I think this is a bit of a cop out. Sure we've seen some of the "40% price fall club" pass through here from time to time, I've found few of them stay for long... most of the short/medium term bears (who've had less extreme positions) are probably quieter because the market is playing out as expected and there is little point in rubbing it in.

Well sort of. The difference is i'm usually a minority dissenter who normally disagrees with the majority. So its not quite the same.

This is true of kudos given to other posters too, those with opposing views to you. I'm sure you realise that, but thought it worth mentioning.

Firstly, let's get something straight: I've never been moderated for posting a dissenting view.

But anyone who says differing opinions are welcome here is not speaking for that dozen or so raging bulls, most of whom are in "the industry", who act like a pack of dogs. This group changes nearly as often as the 40% bears do BTW. There are another group of posters though who have been here for some time, some from the start, who know their stuff and generally make their case with manners and good humour. We can discuss without rancor.

But even they seem quiet.

Reactions: weg
I think some of us that "are" doing are just keeping quiet about it, as we don't want to wake the dissenters. Only need to be attacked, mocked or belittled a couple of times over successful (or not) projects to learn to keep quiet.

On the other side, one does find a reluctance to share to much information - or information becomes general and bland - as you realise the eyes that are reading are not necessarily people you want to know about your current position and business.

Personally, we've been busy on many fronts (heck, so many fronts!) and tend to share a bit - but not too much.

In last 4 weeks - sold PPOR, bought two new IP's, negotiating new PPOR land on which to build, researching what we want in our new PPOR/acreage, huge manufacturing leaps in my new business, finding rental for ourselves to live in, moved jobs/city/schools (and all the angst that goes along with having kids in that situation) ... oh ... and buried our much loved cat this morning after he played chicken with a car.

Been a rather busy month ... just haven't posted it all in nitty gritty detail.

Its as much about communicating and entertainment as it is about information.

That's where we disagree so we can leave it at that. For me the information is primarily the reason I come on here and thus much more important than surfing for entertainment.

1st, the saying i quoted (and which you referenced) is not about property investing, its about general behaviour. As this thread is, about behavior on the forum. Nothing to do with PI.

You seem to assuming a lot about other posters lives. How do you know they don't deviate from the norm? And even if they do, why is that progressive? If a group of people are helpful to each other, grateful for each others assistance, support each other in a common pursuit, and do a bit of back slapping, do you think that they can't be progressive?

Online forums all have a certain character, a culture as it were. And this one has decidedly has become full of newbies, christian conservatives and spruikers.

:confused: Thanks for letting me know this fact. I was totally oblivious to this.

Also, i think it has become a microcosm of society at large in the sense that people think its bad to disagree.

I disagree.

lizzie,
sorry to hear about your cat :(

Thanks - Junior was devastated. Very sad as he had been my purring shadow for 8 years. Just glad it was quick (head injury), and that neighbour saw him minutes after it happened and let us know, so he wasn't lying on the road all night.

I am required by law to keep my dog [about the size of a cat] inside my fence. She doesn't get out so she will not be run over.

A born hunter but she is bluffed by anything bigger than a gecko, but she is deemed potentially dangerous. She certainly can't catch birds.

Contain your cat!

That said most of the exploration and mining sector seems to be full of boneheads and leaches. Companies who have spent more on administration than on exploration, who have mined resources that weren't at grades expected, who have bought on directors who don't have the right skills and experience... it really is a minefield out there.

Pretty Standard for many smaller Goldies.

Back in my day as an exploration and mining geo, youd fight for funds to fully delineate your orebody before going after it, AND in the process also get a much better statistically balanced data set for your grades, especially useful in high grade suphide ore bodies, where 3\10 holes may show you are on a HUGE winner, but 30 holes would show you needed to do a whole lot more work to prove up viability.

DUnno what its like these days, but what makes common sense on the ground dont work so in the boardroom.

ta
rolf

Shuggy you just don't get it.

As stated earlier opinions are welcome if well argued and polite.

A personal attack on a poster is not acceptable behaviour.

I get it fine. I made several well reasoned arguments to that post (which is a personal attack) but they were deleted. You also singled out my post for swearing at a poster who swore at me but i'm sure no infractions were given to him. Poor judgement in my opinion and another example of bad moderating.

Back