Has your house been repossessed?

yes - but one does get tired of watching/reading about someone crying poor, that the bank repossessed their house because they owed $5,000 ... only to see a 2yr old car in the driveway, big screen plasma in the living room and a gold dog collar sized necklace on.

most of these people one see's has better furniture than i have!!

might i suggest all those items on hp or rented leased .

i know people in perth that have been forced to sell before the bank takes it .
due to job loss or their work hours cut

We had Commonwealth Bank savings accounts. The bank used to send someone to the school one morning every week and we would line up and give her our money (back then all bank tellers were female). Putting aside the fact that it was great marketing for the bank, I loved watching that balance go up. Didn't make me much of a saver, but it would have worked on other people I'm sure.

how times change no they don't even teach balancing a budget .
hey im waiting to hear about banks going to schools to sign kids up for credit cards

We bought a repossessed house in 2008. The owner had a debt under $60,000 and had the house rented for $300pw and STILL couldn't make the payments. Drug habits are good like that.

I've got two kids - girls aged 7 and 9. A mate of mine, who is younger than me but has kids the same age, asked me in January what games I got them for Christmas.
'Table tennis', I said.
He looked at me a bit confused. 'Is that on Wii?'
I said, 'No. It's a table. With little bats and a little net and little white balls.'
The kids love it. They would play computer games at other kids' places, and those kids do other stuff at our place.
We don't have a wii/nintendo/etc ... we do have half a dozen computers though. The Child has a quite a few older games on hers but she's prone to just drawing or writing or making movies on it. The game she plays the most she doesn't actually play the game, she spends all her time modding the character (all her characters now have long pink hair, wings and dresses). Then she draws princesses with long pink hair, wings and dresses on the computer, and then she draws princesses with long pink hair, wings and dresses on paper, and then she draws princesses with long pink hair, wings and dresses on the concrete outside. Sometimes we get modelling clay and she makes 3D princesses with long pink hair, wings and dresses.

Being outside or playing with friends is better than computer games. She likes to go riding her bike around the town after school, and sometimes makes little boats to sail in the creek with friends, or catch tadpoles. How quaint and old-fashioned. City parents would never dare let their kiddies out on their own (at least not with a subdermal GPS system)

Net result is I have a skinny kid with a tan and perpetually skun knees :)

Apart from my FT job, I teach a little maths class on the side at a school. I do try to squeeze in basic little nuggets such as the power of compound interest e.g. you can get ahead if you start earlier with smaller amounts than larger amounts later. .

My colleagues daughter came to work one day. my colleague had been "borrowing" money from her daughter's piggy bank. My boss took the opportunity to teach the daughter what compound interest was... so my colleague told the daughter that if she could work out the compound interest was, she would pay her the money back plus the interest.
Well, the daughter got the hang of it pretty quickly, and my colleague paid the money back extra fast, when she realised what it was going to cost her!

Kids just need some real-life situations to understand the value of money......

Pen

Kids just need some real-life situations to understand the value of money......
Mine understands all right. Doing jobs for money to save up for cool stuff is Too Hard. Asking her dad or extended family for cool stuff is Easy. She's also managed to get friends who *do* work for pocket money to buy stuff for her.

I've never managed to get her to save for what she wants as she has always, always, got what she wants by just asking someone else for it when I won't give it to her straight out :mad: This is a truly shocking habit to have as an adult, especially as a pretty girl, and one I'd really like to break while she's young.

She gets her job money as a tally on the fridge now - we've been doing it this way all year. You can't take a tally down to the supermarket and buy crap with it like you can a $5 note. Problem is, she's so excited that the tally is now up to $50 that I can't explain to her that we can pay her up to $11 a week base + extras for bigger jobs, and that $50 represents one $20 job and about 3 weeks of ordinary work. And its May. But she has $50!

Mine understands all right. Doing jobs for money to save up for cool stuff is Too Hard. Asking her dad or extended family for cool stuff is Easy. She's also managed to get friends who *do* work for pocket money to buy stuff for her.

I've never managed to get her to save for what she wants as she has always, always, got what she wants by just asking someone else for it when I won't give it to her straight out :mad: This is a truly shocking habit to have as an adult, especially as a pretty girl, and one I'd really like to break while she's young.

She gets her job money as a tally on the fridge now - we've been doing it this way all year. You can't take a tally down to the supermarket and buy crap with it like you can a $5 note. Problem is, she's so excited that the tally is now up to $50 that I can't explain to her that we can pay her up to $11 a week base + extras for bigger jobs, and that $50 represents one $20 job and about 3 weeks of ordinary work. And its May. But she has $50!

There is a problem. Everyone's little princess of a daughter is pretty. It isn't the childrens' fault, it is the parents' who think their children are more pretty or more special than they really are.

Get over it. She is a child, like all others and because you think she is very pretty, does not mean that the rest of the world is going to think so. All little girls are pretty, but the world does not make special allowances for that.

Stop treating her like the princess, she isn't and she will have a lot better chance of getting on in the real world.

Stop treating her like the princess, she isn't and she will have a lot better chance of getting on in the real world.
*We* don't. EVERYONE else does. That's the problem - WE try and get her to work for things, or save, or attempt to solve problems by herself. She hates this and goes off in a snit and gets someone else to do it for her. She is the absolute queen of being helpless and getting other people to do things for her. She's even got her little sister doing things for her now. She's had a bloody great club of boys fawning over her and doing her bidding for YEARS and if one doesn't do her bidding well enough she gets one that will. Unfortunately she really *is* very pretty and she *is* top of the class academically and like it or not, this gets her special treatment. If she was bog standard average I don't think I'd have this problem. It was much worse when she was in a smaller class at school and was actually the top of the entire school not just her class - I was very glad to get her into a bigger class and some of the problems with her wrapping people around her fingers dropped off, but not completely. Her last teacher actually let slip she was #1 in her earshot. Bad move.

Drives me completely, utterly insane. And I can't stop other people doing it either, I don't find out until after the event. She tends to use the line "my mum won't let me ..." all the time. No, your mum said "that'll cost $100, that's 9 weeks of jobs but you can do X, Y and Z jobs for extra and you'll get there in no time". But she talks someone else into GIVING it to her in the meantime so who cares about doing jobs? Hell, I wouldn't buy her lunch at school at her old school because it is such a waste of money so she'd throw her lunch away, bat her eyelashes at the teachers that her horrible mum didn't give her lunch and they'd BUY HER THE LUNCH SHE WANTED. And she got away with it for half a year until I accidentally found out :mad: Turned out one of the teacher's aides was practically waiting on her hand and foot.

I did have one daycare provider actually work out what she was doing when she was smaller and started querying things and wouldn't let her get away with it, but that woman is the only person I've hit so far. Wish there were more like her :(

We have her pegged as either a supermodel or a lawyer when she grows up. Or some other role where you get to have minions, but I can't think of any others offhand.

ETA: her dad had (last time I checked - I didn't exactly date the man for long) similar entitlement issues, but the grownup version, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm so smart, I'm so good looking, everyone should do what I think they should, women should fall into my lap (admittedly it worked for me, briefly). It led to a very long police record of *dropped* charges. Sure, he's in Mensa, sure he's insanely good looking, but neither of those give the gift of common sense. And they are not attractive traits.

We had Commonwealth Bank savings accounts. The bank used to send someone to the school one morning every week and we would line up and give her our money (back then all bank tellers were female). Putting aside the fact that it was great marketing for the bank, I loved watching that balance go up. Didn't make me much of a saver, but it would have worked on other people I'm sure.

Those accounts were one of my earliest financial object lessons, but not the way CBA intended. I faithfully banked my weekly 30 cents, until I had a grand old total of $21 at the age of 11. By then we'd moved house. I tried to close the account and get the money out, only to find that I would have to go to the home branch. So I hopped on a train and did it. They charged me $15 to close it! I got $6! I didn't even cover the train fare and my lunch!

My other object lesson was with Advance Bank. I had an ATM card very early on, when they first came out. My mother gave me $2 every day (this was before the coins). I would stop at the ATM on the way to school and bank half of it. All went well for a while - I accumulated about $50. Then one of my deposits was missing (there was one for every schoolday, and one was missing from the statement). I queried the branch, who said the deposit envelope was empty. I said it wasn't, and pointed to my pattern of deposits, with all the self-righteousness that an overly-serious twelve year old could muster. Dude, I even went to head office to get my dollar back. Needless to say the schoolgirl didn't win.

Lessons learnt: Saving is all very well, but understand the systems you're putting your savings into.

I did have one daycare provider actually work out what she was doing when she was smaller and started querying things and wouldn't let her get away with it, but that woman is the only person I've hit so far. Wish there were more like her :(

LOL! She sounds a bit like Lil in her younger years (she will hate me for saying this BTW). Anyway, always very mature for her age and always very stubborn, Lil got her way with everyone except her parents, who used to cop nasty temper tantrums repeatedly when she misbehaved.

She went to daycare and all the kids AND the teachers would do whatever she wanted, that is until they hired Beryl. Beryl was just like us and provided tough love to her, which is exactly what she needed. The thing is, that Lil loved Beryl more than any of the teachers.

In her defence though, she was a very loving child, if not somewhat firey. After a good temper tantrum, she would always come for a big hug and say "I'm sorry, Mummy, I love you". Those cuddles were the best of all. :D

Those accounts were one of my earliest financial object lessons, but not the way CBA intended. I faithfully banked my weekly 30 cents, until I had a grand old total of $21 at the age of 11. By then we'd moved house. I tried to close the account and get the money out, only to find that I would have to go to the home branch. So I hopped on a train and did it. They charged me $15 to close it! I got $6! I didn't even cover the train fare and my lunch!

My other object lesson was with Advance Bank. I had an ATM card very early on, when they first came out. My mother gave me $2 every day (this was before the coins). I would stop at the ATM on the way to school and bank half of it. All went well for a while - I accumulated about $50. Then one of my deposits was missing (there was one for every schoolday, and one was missing from the statement). I queried the branch, who said the deposit envelope was empty. I said it wasn't, and pointed to my pattern of deposits, with all the self-righteousness that an overly-serious twelve year old could muster. Dude, I even went to head office to get my dollar back. Needless to say the schoolgirl didn't win.

Lessons learnt: Saving is all very well, but understand the systems you're putting your savings into.

Hi deejay,

Great post. Our kids are going through the same thing, although they weren't cluey enough to pick up on the CBA shafting them....I had to prompt them a few times before they saw what the Bank was really doing to them.

They all had over $ 900 deposited with them in one of their child accounts, which are marketed as "fee free". Yes it certainly is. Not a fee to be seen on any of the statements. Interest paid for the full year was $ 0.03.....yep, 3c was what they earnt from giving the Bank the use of that money for the full year.

We've subsequently decided not to play the CBA's game anymore, and instead bought some good dividend paying shares. The $ 900 worth of shares now pay about $ 81.00 a year, with a further $ 34.00 in imputation credits which get refunded back to them.

By leaving the Bank out of the equation, they've now gone from unearnt income of 3c up to $ 115.00 per annum, an improvement of some 383,333.00%.

Suffice to say, the kids are not too impressed with the CBA, and reckon they can stick their little free money boxes up where the sun don't shine.

Compound interest and all is all well and good, but the kids aren't stupid, they aren't too impressed when initially they have $ 900.00 in the bank and after one year's interest, they have $ 900.03. Concepts only go so far, and as I've always said, the raw numbers, if good enough, trump concepts every time.

She went to daycare and all the kids AND the teachers would do whatever she wanted, that is until they hired Beryl. Beryl was just like us and provided tough love to her, which is exactly what she needed. The thing is, that Lil loved Beryl more than any of the teachers.
Always good to know its not just me :D

Too many softies in the world today IMHO. In *every* area. Especially those guys that stick warning stickers on things to stop people suing them.

Great post. Our kids are going through the same thing, although they weren't cluey enough to pick up on the CBA shafting them....I had to prompt them a few times before they saw what the Bank was really doing to them.

They all had over $ 900 deposited with them in one of their child accounts, which are marketed as "fee free". Yes it certainly is. Not a fee to be seen on any of the statements. Interest paid for the full year was $ 0.03.....yep, 3c was what they earnt from giving the Bank the use of that money for the full year.

I also have kids with the fee-free accounts. As soon as the kids deposit money into these accounts I arrange a transfer to the kids' high interest internet accounts - leaving a minimal amount in the fee-free accounts.

SYD

Way off the topic but ....

The CBA used to come to my school with their 'dollamites' compaign which included 'cool' bank deposit book and money box. I loved seeing that balance increase every week.

Even though its clearly a marketing campaign i don't think it was a terrible idea - it certainly taught me early 'saving' skills.

Those with primary school aged kids, do schools still do this?

Way off the topic but ....

The CBA used to come to my school with their 'dollamites' compaign which included 'cool' bank deposit book and money box. I loved seeing that balance increase every week.

Even though its clearly a marketing campaign i don't think it was a terrible idea - it certainly taught me early 'saving' skills.

Those with primary school aged kids, do schools still do this?

Yep, they do. But the program is a bit "clunky", let's say. My wife helps out with the school banking.

Latest 'innovation' is for every deposit (no matter the amount) the kid gets a gold star on a chart. After 5 stars, they get a pencil, another 5 stars an eraser, or they can "save up" their stars and if they get, I don't know, 20 stars say, they get a pencil case that has both a pencil, eraser and sharpener in it!

It's created additional overhead for the volunteers who assist and created an additional manual system, when the bank could very easily and quickly determine the number of deposits for any particular period. :confused:

But it's at least good that there is still a bank that has a primary student program. But instead of the pencil bonus, they should maybe start paying the kids some interest!

RE .... a couple or woman who have had their house repossessed recently because they were unable to meet payment requirements.....

Should try contacting real estate agents.
A RE agent I know tells me, they get calls from time to time to sell repossessed houses...

Back