has your isp cut your download threshold recently?

Mine actually increased value in a number of plans recently, though they did retire some old ($ losing) plans. I have been with them for several years and have always had a rock solid connection.

aanet.com.au

David

PS Feel free to add my referrer code if you do decide to sign up: AANET988 ;):D

Last edited:
Winstonwolfe said:
nice of internode to annouce cutting all their download thresholds this week.... i.e. 8GB to 5GB....that's 35% inflation in one year....

Well, it's only 35% inflation if you exceed 5GB per month. But then again, I don't do half the stuff the kiddies are doing these days...

But seriously, how else do you expect Internode to pay for their G9 membership?:D

nice of internode to annouce cutting all their download thresholds this week.... i.e. 8GB to 5GB....that's 35% inflation in one year....

Don't you hate that?
I was with iinet and they dropped my speed so I looked around and found a better ISP
(more generous downloads for the same $)
I Tried Netspace for 6 months but then my son found exetel
on ADSL2 was much better value.
Check them out. www.exetel.com.au
If they are in your area their phone line rental and calls are great value as well.
Cheers

Internode are always more expensive than other ISP's. We are with another ISP but in the last few days I have noticed some slowing down of their service. They say 'not their fault' and blame everyone from Telstra to the Milkman, but I think they are doing this instead of raising their prices, or openly stating they have reduced the download limits.

Mine went up $20 from 99.95 to 119.95! 20%... I really think they stuffed up big time..

Problem is that by the time you factor in the cost of changing you need to be on a stable plan with another ISP for over a year to recoup the costs.

Big potential for damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Yes, I was with Internode. I got a $10 increase as well.

Now I'm with TPG (I was churning to get ADSL2+ anwyay).

I must say, Internode customer support was excellent. TPG has a Manillan call centre. Nothing against Manillians, but the line to them was very crackly and the service was very 'script based'. Any issues outside the box could not be handled easily.

What's G9?

You guys are squabbling over a $10/$20 a month increase? Are you for real? Over the last few years, Internode had been putting up the d/l limits on their plans whilst staying at the same price. They up the prices and suddenly you all complain!

Internode has by far the best customer service around in my experience. They have staff in Australia who know what they're talking about and they do a fantastic job. Just so youse know, my plan went up too, but I didn't blink as I'm very very happy with the service.

Would I have preferred to not have a price rise? Sure, but I'm happy to pay a little extra to know that when I use the internet, I'm not going to have any issues and if any do come up, they are resolved very quickly and efficiently.

Mark

Mark,

You're right. I could care less about $20.. I think the problem here is that internode have done themselves a disservice by being so good in the past.

Having gone through the same price reduction, bandwidth increases, talked to real support people over the years it was a huge shock to be whacked with a 20% increase (+ the loss of the usenet service recently).

I guess no one likes diminished value and in most cases IT product generally does decrease in price over time.

People also look at the net as an essential service. I doubt people would be happy with a 20% increase in phone, electricity or gas bills so perhaps the method of implementation was a little harsh.

Cheers,

Arkay.

been on unlimited downloads with TPG for over 3 years... so no

TPG is looking to get the business of the high usage 'node customers that got peeved about the $40 price hike.... rumours of $69.95 ADSL2+ plan with 150GB of DL limit (40gig peak, 110gig offpeak)

my 10GB SOHO 512/128 went up by $5.00.
oh well.

if i could get a 5GB plan for 15.00 less than my current plan, then i'd get it. I almost never use the full 10GB.

Yes, I was with Internode. I got a $10 increase as well.

Now I'm with TPG (I was churning to get ADSL2+ anwyay).

I must say, Internode customer support was excellent.

Good Customer service comes at a cost.
Unless they are running a business, most people will have little use for customer service / support.

I spoke to a customer service guy from Optus a few weeks back
and the thing is they are only trained to cover the usual problems.
Anything out of the ordinary, they have no idea what to do.

I noticed that Exetel don't have a phone number to call
Everything is done online so they can afford to drop their fees.
Those ISP's that attract people who download a lot they have no need
for large number of customer support staff as the internet users will be experienced
and will be resolving any issues with their PC or modem themselves.

cheers

Anyone got a fibre optic connection? Optus has just run a cable past my house to connect to a big call centre but I'm told the connection and modem would still be expensive. True?

It's a bit of a non sequitur for everyone to be going on about Internode being a great ISP based on their great support.

I judge a great ISP on not needing support. I just want the service up time maximised. And an email advising of impending downtime or outages, and when they are likely to be fixed...

As for whacking their service cost up by 38% in one hit, and using excuses that should see every other provider doing the same, go figure...

I am going to give aanet a go.

I judge a great ISP on not needing support. I just want the service up time maximised.

My point exactly. I have had to use their customer support maybe three times in two years and I'm a very heavy user (on the net pretty much from when I get home to when I go to bed). Not necessarily actually sitting front of the computer, but d/ling and such things.

Compare that to the twelve months I was forced to use Telstra (oy vey!) where it was a good week if we didn't have to call them.

When I joined, I was on 15 gig a month. They then upped that to 20 gig a month. It's funny how everyone seems happy when they up the d/l limit by 25 or 30% but when they put the price up accordingly everyone screams bloody murder.

Then people wonder why tenants bit.ch about rent rises....

Mark

I should add that I only joined Internode 3 mths ago. I chose them because whirlpool forums talked highly of their service, and they were competitive with other ISPs' d/l thresholds.

I relied on the whirlpool comparison website heavily to choose a new ISP. I feel Internode falsely represented their ranking on the site by offering d/l thresholds they knew they could not deliver a 1-2 months later..

Maybe Internode is run by Gen Y's, who think that's smart business.... :eek:

Back