Have we hit the peak of the market

re

In terms of demand side: this morning on ABC radio, it claimed that the immigration intake will halve to it's peak of 300000. The government have tighted the skills migration, and as a result, drying up of overseas students.

I have a university collegue, his wife just got laid off by a private migration firm. Less immigration = less demand for rental, which may lead to lowering of pressure on house prices. This will not become fully evident until start of the tertiary year in 2011.

Warrenkh.2010

Last edited:
melbourne = reassessmenet / correction. grew too fast, too quickly.

big correction? no, not in my opinion. maybe 5% or just a steadying of values for a while.

In terms of demand side: this morning on ABC radio, it claimed that the immigration intake will halve to it's peak of 300000.

FROM it's peak of or TO a peak of?

half of 300,000 is 150,000, which is 35,000 more than initial 2009 estimates of 114,000.

300,000 down from 600,000 is still a bucketload of people.

...and the analysis continues.

As always - every deal is different.

Markets, well if the basic fundamentals are there, and you're holding for the long-term, it doesn't matter.

the prices in my area are only now reselling for the off the plan prices of 03/04. Admittedly those prices were a bit ritch, but that was 7yrs ago.surely 10% growth in seven yrs isnt over the top

the prices in my area are only now reselling for the off the plan prices of 03/04. Admittedly those prices were a bit ritch, but that was 7yrs ago.surely 10% growth in seven yrs isnt over the top

but it's not a doubliong in 7 years and apparently there's a problem with this.

how exactly, i don't know......but your yield sounds amazing!

...and the analysis continues.

As always - every deal is different.

Markets, well if the basic fundamentals are there, and you're holding for the long-term, it doesn't matter.

It does if you've valued those "basic fundamentals" incorrectly and have less than a 20% equity buffer. You may not have a say in whether you hold for the long term.

I'm not saying our market is the same, but I know a guy in California who thought he bought on fundamentals, he had his $280K PPOR paid off and used the equity as downpayment for 30% of an IP $400K.
4 years later and his loan is the same value as his total property portfolio.
He admitted that he wished he had learned how to value property rather than relying on the catchphrases "good property can only go up" "people have to live somewhere", "there aren't enough houses being built" etc etc

Actually, the last one is interesting because there was plenty of research to show there was an undersupply of houses in California. So what is one to do when you can't even rely on reports proving there is an undersupply?

Well, it pays to look at and understand the importance of yield in determining values.

The point im trying to make is, the prices have a lot furfher to go , at least 15% in the next year. Also this is the newest and most anticipated areas of inner sydney, 4kms to cbd ,4.5 kms to eastern sub beaches. Whatch this space.

RBA says Australia does not have a speculative housing bubble

From: http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...nd-borrowers-to-be-prudent-20100518-vbft.html

......RBA head of financial stability Luci Ellis said in a speech that Australian house prices have recovered their small decline from 2008 to post increases of between about 12 to 15 per cent over the past year in capital cities, depending on the measure.

Ms Ellis said recent data suggested Australia does "not have a credit-fuelled speculative boom on our hands".

Ms Ellis goes on to say that supply is still sluggish and this will lead to higher prices and for higher rents.

All good news to investors - thank you Ms Ellis :)

...went to an open inspection recently, RE agent was willing to accept $45k under the advertised price.. Definitely signs of a peak or could just be a case of interest rates putting fear into everyone.

I think housing follows the old "A person climbing stairs playing with a Yoyo" adage. That is, the yoyo goes up and down somewhat unpredictably, but in the long term, the trend is always up. How can it not be with rising disposable incomes and increasing population?

While you can't predict the yoyo with reliability, you can rely on the stairs if you have that long a time frame.

My personal feel is that the market will be taking a breather, with FHB areas maybe going backwards. However, the inexorable step up continues, and one day, the yoyo will be back up again.

I like the analogy with the stairs and the yoyo.

Regarding the paragraph in bold, I agree.

With all these recent rate rises and the slowing down of the FHOG, the FHB's (who of which most don't save), there will be fewer of them buying - unless the lenders start giving out 95-100% lends again.

The larger companies who build the Edward Scissorhand estates will prop them up with incentives like low deposits and the like, but I reckon generally this end of the market will slow down.

It will never go backwards, because the cheaper end has the biggest pool of buyers and investors.

From: http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...nd-borrowers-to-be-prudent-20100518-vbft.html

Ms Ellis goes on to say that supply is still sluggish and this will lead to higher prices and for higher rents.

All good news to investors - thank you Ms Ellis :)

It really shites me when I hear the word "speculative" mentioned in property sales/trends.

The overwhelming majority of buyers are PPoR buyers - buying a place to LIVE in.

There is no speculation in that.

Speculation is the guy who buys and tries to on-sell it before settlement, or flips it within 12 months, or does a 4 unit development to sell off.

What percentage of any market would constitute this type of transaction?

It really shites me when I hear the word "speculative" mentioned in property sales/trends.

The overwhelming majority of buyers are PPoR buyers - buying a place to LIVE in.

Speculation is the guy who buys and tries to on-sell it before settlement, or flips it within 12 months, or does a 4 unit development to sell off.

1.7 million ip owners in australia

melbourne = reassessmenet / correction. grew too fast, too quickly.

big correction? no, not in my opinion. maybe 5% or just a steadying of values for a while.

Interesting, when the Melb market corrected in 2008 it dropped back about 10%, I think the inner city stuff was hit the hardest. Hope it is only 5%, I could live with that one.

Cheers, MTR

For a different view,
If a PPOR buyer can't afford to buy,
Has less than 20% deposit,
Could save a bigger deposit by waiting longer,
Is paying more than 30% of income in mortgage repayments
Bought due to fear of missing out.

They are speculating that house prices will keep going up which is why they are buying now, hence they are speculators! They may not realise it thats all.

This isn't every PPOR buyer, but it adds to the number of ip speculators.

Back