Have you considered where your Somersoft threads go when you die?

Have you considered where your SS threads go when you die?

• No, I'll be dead

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • No, I just assumed spouse would get them

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes, I've bequeathed mine in my Will

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes, I've written instructions to Sim for reincarnation of my account

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Continuing on from the 'Have you... ' series is a question about your Somersoft threads which are arguably valuable.

Not really a concern.

Now that you mention it, I know a couple of SS members that have passed away, their threads are still revived from time to time. I guess they are not too worried about what happens.;)

I actually had a Facebook friend in the us who hadn't appeared on a forum I frequented for a few weeks. Some people tried to phone, but I co tacted some of his Facebook friends. One was also friends with his son- the son went to check and found he had died from a heart attack.

The FB account was used by his son to announce his death, so presumably there were instructions.

Should we be lead to feel dread for said death bed thread?
Are tears to be shed once we've read what was said?
Have we bred fear in our head? Has courage been shred?
I guess once we're dead, our cares will have fled.
Instead, let's break bread, fear not the journey ahead.

Interesting question which I'm currently giving a fair bit of thought to.

To me the threads haven't got value. . . . but the backlinks, such as my signature, do as part of my whole web footprint.

My digital footprint helps my website.

I run an entirely digital hobby business from my website which generates several thousand dollars a year through book sales which would have an ongoing value to my estate.

I guess a post is 'property' and could have value which could be left in a will - the copyright ownership could be left to someone.

Interesting question which I'm currently giving a fair bit of thought to.

To me the threads haven't got value. . . . but the backlinks, such as my signature, do as part of my whole web footprint.

My digital footprint helps my website.

I run an entirely digital hobby business from my website which generates several thousand dollars a year through book sales which would have an ongoing value to my estate.

You should be more concerned about your loved ones being able to continue renewing your domain name and hosting your site when you die.

I guess a post is 'property' and could have value which could be left in a will - the copyright ownership could be left to someone.

I think you sign away all your rights when you join up and your posts are owned by the forum. That's why Sim and other admins won't remove posts if someone spits the dummy and says they want all their posts deleted after they've been banned or don't want to partake anymore.

I think you sign away all your rights when you join up and your posts are owned by the forum. That's why Sim and other admins won't remove posts if someone spits the dummy and says they want all their posts deleted after they've been banned or don't want to partake anymore.

No, you still "own" the copyright to your posts, you merely grant us a world-wide non-revocable royalty-free right to publish your posts. That's because this is what a forum does - it publishes posts so that anyone in the world can view them. By posting here, you agree to let us do what the forum is intended to do.

The non-revocable part is the anti-dummy spit clause, because once you have posted and other people have replied - your content no longer stands alone and is part of a wider community effort. Removing posts from threads can damage the context and meaning of the threads that other people have contributed to. It's not fair on everyone else who has contributed if you arbitrarily decide to remove content without consideration of the impact it might have to the community.

That being said - if specific posts cause problems for people (eg too much personal information, potential legal issues, etc), we're always happy to assess them on a case-by-case basis and take action to edit or remove as necessary.

We also grant a 48 hour window where you can edit or remove your own posts after you first published them - kind of like a "cooling off" period in case you change your mind.

It's also important to note that we do not claim any exclusive rights to the content you post. You are free to re-use your own content in whatever way you choose.

We also grant a 48 hour window where you can edit or remove your own posts after you first published them - kind of like a "cooling off" period in case you change your mind.

I've always been curious as to whether mods see all iterations of an edited post.

I've always been curious as to whether mods see all iterations of an edited post.

Yes, we do have post edit history turned on - primarily so that we can undo any moderation actions that we change our mind about.

I've set everything as much as possible to prevent destructive edits. Mods can't permanently delete posts and post edit history is kept for all changes.

This way, if we decide that a particular course of action was unnecessary (or perhaps the decision was made without all the facts being apparent), we can reverse the decision.

I have heaps of memberships and accounts to many different sites of interest. It does cross my mind from time to time that I am creating/collecting a large amount of digital debris. I wondered if I should create a master list of web sites, user names and passwords which could be locked in my safe with my will so that someone can close the accounts when I pass on. Probably not necessary though.

Hmm. Maybe someone could create that as a service. Register your accounts with a service provider and they can close them all at the time of your death.

I have heaps of memberships and accounts to many different sites of interest. It does cross my mind from time to time that I am creating/collecting a large amount of digital debris. I wondered if I should create a master list of web sites, user names and passwords which could be locked in my safe with my will so that someone can close the accounts when I pass on. Probably not necessary though.

Hmm. Maybe someone could create that as a service. Register your accounts with a service provider and they can close them all at the time of your death.

The trouble is we all need to keep updating pass words to some sites

You should be more concerned about your loved ones being able to continue renewing your domain name and hosting your site when you die.

Understanding the security, accessing my paypal account, understanding how the sales cart works, accessing digital files etc, etc.

There is a lot to consider, including who should get the information? . . . It needs to be someone who understands how to manage it otherwise its worthless.

I don't know about anybody else, but I've clicked a few older threads that have been brought up in the past month or so, and seen PennyK's name and get an immediate reaction of shock, followed by sadness.

If I look back at some of my old threads, some are threadbare, some from a larger period of my life and others just way too big for hand-me-downs.

Back