Have you studied Think and Grow Rich?

I studied the book for years.
It took me a long while to realise it is "snake oil".

etc etc etc

While I can see some benefit in reading these books concerning motivation and belief, and I have read my fair share of them, I essentially agree with markpatrick.

There are too many other topics (some self-help, some technical, some others) I would prefer to learn and read about.

All the "believe it and it will be" comes across as something you'd hear at an MLM seminar, or as mentioned previously, too much like "The Secret".

I found that part of the book, the bleeive and it will be bits, distracting from the defining a purpose / having people involved that you can talk with etc etc etc bits....

If you persist, things happen, sometimes becuase of a new discovery or invention, but sometimes thta you just see something you never saw before, or it accidentally directs you onto something else - i dont know if you can put much more into that occuring than having a good run on the freeway on the way to work on a day you're running late. So many things ahppne at the sme time, some coiincide positivley with our plans, some negatively and most don't at all

In a perfect world what you say is true of course but do you really believe that?, I don`t, it has a lot more to do with what your priorities/skills/physical appearance/mental mindset and any given combination of one or more intanglibles.
If you have a city of ten people they cannot all be rich and successful.

I really believe that.

And you agreed with me in the bold section of your post. All of those factors can be changed by choice.

priorities - my 8 year old son's priority is to be the best Halo player in the world. His friend's priority is to play for Essendon. Both of these boys can change this if they wish.

skills - I chose to become very skilled at golf and worked very, very hard to do it. Then I chose to become skilled in property investing and retiring early (still working on those two :D). I had no desire to become a skilled lawyer, however.

physical appearance - we all know about what is happening out there in obeseville. But there are still many who can get off the couch and go to the gym or go for a run etc.

mental mindset - we all put whatever thoughts we want into our heads. In my experience, the people who don't succeed constantly put neg thoughts into their heads about all sorts of topics, while the successful people fill their world with positive thoughts and actions.

I remember a very good ad on the teev a few years ago; it was a superannuation/managed fund investing ad and you see the 3 year old boy running towards the water, with the Dad running along behind him, cursing that the little boy won't stop, and how annoying it all is - the neg person.

Then, you see in the next scenario the same boy and dad, but the Dad is laughing at his son, and enjoying his energy levels and exuberance....the positive person.

I'm not saying it's all "believe it and it will be", I'm saying if you set your mind on a goal and learn what the steps are to achieve it, then do the work required, you'll usually get there.

I often think of the black ghettos in the USA on this topic; the overwhelming majority of them simply fall into the pattern of all the others they live amongst. But there are always a few who think "I'm not living like this" and they find ways to get out.

Exactly the same environment and upbringing, but one becomes a gang member, the other becomes a doctor, or school teacher or whatever.

I really believe that.

And you agreed with me in the bold section of your post. All of those factors can be changed by choice.

priorities - my 8 year old son's priority is to be the best Halo player in the world. His friend's priority is to play for Essendon. Both of these boys can change this if they wish.

skills - I chose to become very skilled at golf and worked very, very hard to do it. Then I chose to become skilled in property investing and retiring early (still working on those two :D). I had no desire to become a skilled lawyer, however.

physical appearance - we all know about what is happening out there in obeseville. But there are still many who can get off the couch and go to the gym or go for a run etc.

mental mindset - we all put whatever thoughts we want into our heads. In my experience, the people who don't succeed constantly put neg thoughts into their heads about all sorts of topics, while the successful people fill their world with positive thoughts and actions.

I remember a very good ad on the teev a few years ago; it was a superannuation/managed fund investing ad and you see the 3 year old boy running towards the water, with the Dad running along behind him, cursing that the little boy won't stop, and how annoying it all is - the neg person.

Then, you see in the next scenario the same boy and dad, but the Dad is laughing at his son, and enjoying his energy levels and exuberance....the positive person.

I'm not saying it's all "believe it and it will be", I'm saying if you set your mind on a goal and learn what the steps are to achieve it, then do the work required, you'll usually get there.

I often think of the black ghettos in the USA on this topic; the overwhelming majority of them simply fall into the pattern of all the others they live amongst. But there are always a few who think "I'm not living like this" and they find ways to get out.

Exactly the same environment and upbringing, but one becomes a gang member, the other becomes a doctor, or school teacher or whatever.

All true of course.
Yes you can do extraordinary things, but......you can`t do everything........of course, this can be construed as a negative but it is as plain as the nose on our face.
A great example is the fact that many overacheivers have terrible personal relationships due to a lack of time or the millions of successful people who fall from grace, take Tiger Woods for example.
Did he want his life to run off a cliff?, I doubt it but maybe he did, maybe it was self sabotage but could he have changed that, if he read TAGR would it have changed that, nope, can he change it now yes he can, but he can`t change the past.

Last edited:
All true of course.
Yes you can do extraordinary things, but......you can`t do everything........of course, this can be construed as a negative but it is as plain as the nose on our face.
I agree; can't do everything, but the context of this discussion is becoming rich, and in my view anyone can do that. Some people just simply don't do it for many reasons; but if they wanted to they could.

I see it every day; the person who is living week to week and resenting the "rich", while they suck on 20 cigs per day and spend every spare moment at the pub, never save any money, but own a plasma.

Now, very basically, imagine what would happen if you got that person to give up the fags, stop drinking, stop spending what little money they have on expensive toys (buy the very cheap ones). Then, start them on a basic savings plan of $50 per week into even an ING account, and get them to read a few property investing books (or come on here for a year or so).
It's not the quickest way for them to get rich, but they would do quite well over a 10 year period.

We are all the same in regards to money; we can all work and earn money (even disabled people), we can all spend and save, we can all learn about investing. No one has an advantage really; it's about the willingness. Even poor people in ghettos can go to a public library nearby. You could argue that some really poor areas in places like India etc might not have access, but you get where I'm going with this.
TAGR also applies to your whole life as we know, and from my experiences most people who are successful have good relationships.

A great example is the fact that many overacheivers have terrible personal relationships due to a lack of time or the millions of successful people who fall from grace
I don't believe this is really the case. Many underachievers and unsuccessful people have the same problems, but no-one ever hears about them. It's just not newsworthy - unless you area producer from ACA. :eek:

take Tiger Woods for example.
Did he want his life to run off a cliff?, I doubt it but maybe he did, maybe it was self sabotage but could he have changed that, if he read TAGR would it have changed that, nope, can he change it now yes he can, but he can`t change the past.
Do really believe that someone with his life would deliberately self-sabotage?
Tiger Woods did make some bad choices in his personal activities, but as for TAGR, he was living that book in Golf. He has been thinking of nothing else but becoming the greatest golfer that ever lived since he was about 3 years old, and he did it (Jack Nicklaus' record notwithstanding).

And, talking of golf, and overachievers who don't fall from grace; there's two examples right there; Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. Gary Player is another one you could throw in.

Last edited:
Are Jack Nicklaus and the others still at the top of thier game, if not why not?.
Is there no area of thier life that they are disappointed with?.
If these golfers have great lifes imo it is due to the fact that they do the things that work for them, which may all be completely different paths, some may have involved years of hard work and negative thoughts in order to build up their desire for the life they have, it would not always involve "brainwashing" themselves to becoming positive thinkers, it could take varying degrees of self interest, varying degrees of persistance, depending on your mindset and abilities, along with who you know, who inspires you etc etc intangible things.
A golfer could go all the way through a golf game believing he can`t win only to win the the final washup, negative thoughts can actually help you win in many cases.
So the book in this respect would be pointless.
A lot of public speakers or actor for example struggle with low self esteem or jitters before a performance but almost all say that it is necessary for them in order to perform at thier best, so the negative thoughts actually benefit them, without the negative side thier performance would lack "heart".
Understanding how to control your negative thoughts is a good thing but to try to completely rid yourself of them is pointless and will most likely work against you in the end.

Are Jack Nicklaus and the others still at the top of thier game, if not why not?.
Jack, Arnie and Gary are retired - too old to be competitive anymore on the tours.
Is there no area of thier life that they are disappointed with?.
I'm sure there are.

If these golfers have great lifes imo it is due to the fact that they do the things that work for them, which may all be completely different paths, some may have involved years of hard work and negative thoughts in order to build up their desire for the life they have, it would not always involve "brainwashing" themselves to becoming positive thinkers, it could take varying degrees of self interest, varying degrees of persistance, depending on your mindset and abilities, along with who you know, who inspires you etc etc intangible things.
A golfer could go all the way through a golf game believing he can`t win only to win the the final washup, negative thoughts can actually help you win in many cases.
So the book in this respect would be pointless.
A lot of public speakers or actor for example struggle with low self esteem or jitters before a performance but almost all say that it is necessary for them in order to perform at thier best, so the negative thoughts actually benefit them, without the negative side thier performance would lack "heart".
Understanding how to control your negative thoughts is a good thing but to try to completely rid yourself of them is pointless and will most likely work against you in the end.
100% agree on these points. I reckon the successful people are those who recognise their shortcomings and limitations and recognise their strengths.

They then play (live life) to their strengths and work on improving their weaknesses.

For me, it was realising that my spending was a bad type and approaching 40 had not done as well as I should have. There was no negative thinking as such before this; just an ignorance of what I was doing that was counter-productive.

Yes, I also wondering how do you people find about those four books especially the TGR Cashflow and the TGR Property ?

The seminar is ON this weekend.
As for me I've read my copy of TGR Property from the Home Buyer seminar few months back in Sydney and I reckon that the TGR property book is very great book which summarize the whole idea of Property investment so it is a recommended and MUST read for a serious investor.

I keep wondering, what is the connection between the classic book Think and Grow Rich and people flogging property? did someone buy the naming rights, ala "I own the Happy Birthday song?"

I keep wondering, what is the connection between the classic book Think and Grow Rich and people flogging property? "

There is none. Except that in the minds of the spruikers themselves.

In respectable scientific/research/intellectual terms it's called standing on the shoulders of the great masters. Building on preceding work to make new discoveries. All well and good.

But in sales terms it's seeking to use others to lend credibility to your product.

In other words 'leveraging off them'.

Just like the promoter encourages you to do off him (cue mention '7 Habits of Highly Effective People').

Though some salient information or mention of different circumstances may be omitted. Monkey see Monkey do.

The technique is that the promoter connects with their audience by referring to something well-known or time-tested.

When doing this stuff it's best to use dead people. Why?

1. They can't sue or contradict latter-day shysters who misrepresent them,
2. Their stuff may be out of copyright so can be photocopied at will,
3. There's a certain mystique about the ancient and timeless wisdom imparted (waffle about long-lost secrets which have been 'rediscovered', makes our year-ten school dropout ex-insurance spruiker look learned)

'Success by association' means that you don't actually make claims about your product (thus keeping you in the clear with ASIC etc), but if you say that 'most doctors agree that... ' or 'successful people .... ' you're implying these things ('if doctors use it, it must be good!').

Whether promoters refer to Think and Grow Rich, Winning Friends and Influencing People or Jan Somers is immaterial.

What counts is they're manipulating the audience by using respectable people and books to foist their pathetic offerings on a gullible public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep wondering, what is the connection between the classic book Think and Grow Rich and people flogging property? did someone buy the naming rights, ala "I own the Happy Birthday song?"

I think someone did actually. I can't quite remember where I read it but there was some dispute and I think it may have had something to do with Jamie McIntyre. Sorry I'll look for it but I am sure I read that someone bought the Aus rights to use the name and I think it was a spruiker in a new reincarnation.

Ahhh here it is
http://www.thinkandgrowrich.com.au/jamie-mcintyre

Last edited:
Whether promoters refer to Think and Grow Rich, Winning Friends and Influencing People or Jan Somers is immaterial.

What counts is they're manipulating the audience by using respectable people and books to foist their pathetic offerings on a gullible public.

I confess I found Napolean Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" to be a particularly flakey book, with its distinctive undercurrent of crypto-religious psychobabble owing more to the wacko mysticism of William James than anything approaching lucid rationality.

All the more humorous then to see the spruikers Joan references above dueling over its naming rights -

"I'm the only true heir to this cracker!"

"No you're not. The nutcase intended me to keep his message alive."

"That's preposterous. I was channeling his divine spirit only yesterday."

"You imposter. His spirit took up exclusive residence inside my brain last January!"

Think And Grow Rich Pty Ltd ~ Stuart Zadel

Vs

Napoleon Hill Australia Pty Ltd ~ Jamie McIntyre

Zadel has thinkandgrowrich.com.au McIntyre has thinkandgrowricher.com.au

Positive Mental Attitudes :confused:

Back