Health Therapy Paperwork

Hi all,

A friend of mine wants to set up a health therapy business that includes services like kinesiology, massage therapies, Chinese fire cupping, hypnotherapy and counselling. She has been in small business before so she is cool with running a small business.

What she wants to find out is what kind of paperwork is required to set up a *new* health therapy business such as this?

eg. Council requirement? Health department requirement? etc?

I would suggest that it will vary from Council to Council and state to state so that is where she starts.

Go to the local council and ask, then the state govt and ask or spend some time on the relevant web sites and do some digging.

Remind her to get the right insurance policies as well :)

A degree in medicine?

hypnotherapy... you'd need paperwork showing you're a member of an accredited professional body, degree 'paperwork' and malpractice insurance. If you haven't got the first 2 you probably wouldn't qualify for the third.

I think the rest all comes under unregulated, although 'invasive' practices may need special insurance and may not be covered.

I'd imagine the rest would be like other standard businesses that require the usual council approvals.

Hey! Call me a square. I just like my health therapies based on the empirical sciences. And that's all I'm happy to have my taxes pay for too. Kookie, eh?

Hi all,

A friend of mine wants to set up a health therapy business that includes services like kinesiology, massage therapies, Chinese fire cupping, hypnotherapy and counselling. She has been in small business before so she is cool with running a small business.

What she wants to find out is what kind of paperwork is required to set up a *new* health therapy business such as this?

eg. Council requirement? Health department requirement? etc?

I'd be a bit concerned about them setting up if they really dont know what requirements there are.
There are likely to be professional requirements, as well as insurance requirements (professional indemnity etc). There must be a peak body that she could contact to find out.
But first of all I'd be asking whether she has the experience/ qualifications etc to run a practice like this. I would imagine that a peak body/ association would be able to tell her.

Back