heating an IP

Hi

I have ips in a cold climate which need heaters replaced. What are your recommendations for heating either the living room or the whole house. These are small 3 bed properties, nothing fancy.

Cathy

I have heard that oid filled radiators are safe and efficient. They use them in the student renters here because the students tend to leave heaters on all the time and these are cheaper. The last thing you want is them using those $20 fan radiator jobs from Kmart. They are quite dangerous I believe!

But this sort of thing is probably a tenant responsibility isn't it?

Cheers,

Simon

Unfortunately a basic (for landlords) for renting houses here. I'm interested in what others do in similar houses in cold climates say Orange, Bathrust, Cooma, Cbr, Blue Mountains.

Cathy

Hi Cath,

Assuming the houses are already insulated with good quality insulation the cheapest is oil filled radiators, best is air conditioning, medium is gas heaters.

I have a small IP in Canberra (apx 100 sq meters). It is important to heat the living areas at night. It has a gas wall furnace on the wall dividing the lounge and family room. heats up all living areas quite well. Not sure of the cost but probably $1k - 2k.

Ducted gas heating is the best option but is probably around $3k - $5k. It should get more rent and is something else to depreciate.

Gast ducted heating may also be seen as a waste of money from the tenants perspective if they are heating areas of their house that they feel is unnecessary.

Typically only the living rooms and perhaps kitchen need heating in my opinion. Whether the bedrooms need heating depends on whether people spend time in them of a day, or just sleep in them. They may need to be heated at night in very cold climates.

We have gas ducted heating in our PPOR with a switch that lets us heat downstairs only (living areas) or whole of house (inc. bedrooms/bathroom). 99.9% of the time it is set for downstairs only. The switch also reduces the gas consumption of the heater since it is not heating such a large area (brand is Brivis)

Kevmeister,

How cold does Falker get in the middle of winter ?

I agree that living areas are the most important but young families with kids don't want their kids to freeze.

Ducted heating will generally get you more rent and possibly keep out 'tight' tennants that think it is a waste to heat other bedrooms. Keeping the vents closed and bedroom doors closed will give you the same effect as turning it off in that room.

Back in my (sordid) youth, I group housed in a place on Sydney's north shore with no heating.

So on one occasion we tore down bits of the fence & burnt it instead.

Whatever you do, make sure you provide heating for the tenants - even in so-called warm areas ;)

(BTW: there was no issue with this, one of the girls in the house had photos of the managing agent doing rude things with his secretary in the alley behind our house - & he was married-with-kids & a councillor on the local council).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

The best heating solution, IMHO, is hydronic
heating. Similar to the oil filled radiators
I guess but it uses a gas kettle and circulates
hot water through all the radiators in the
house.

It may be on the more expensive side so
not appropriate for a house that someone
else is going to live in.

If you are going for one of the cheaper
solutions (read: less efficient) perhaps you
should look into double glazing. Most
of the heat loss will be going straight through
your standard 3mm single glazed glass pane.

andy

My preference is for GAS heating.

Electricity based heaters can give nightmare bills for tenants.

Typically, the good old Vulcan wall furnace does a good job. Even better if you can situate it so you can use a rear register to heat out both sides. eg, Lounge/meals (front) during the day, then flick the lever later to heat the hallway (rear) to the bedrooms (and hence bedrooms).

I've lived in my rental house setup like this, with young kids, and it worked a treat. We left it split 60/40 to the front.

Heater (reconditioned - like new) cost around $800 including rear register + install.

Cheers

Simon.

Thanks for your replies and i agree that hydronic heating is absolutely the best having had it a previous home but very expensive. However I don't think I should be spending
around 10% of the value of the property on heating!

Funny no-one has mentioned wood heating, it is very popular here (despite the local council having funding to get rid of them!) and nearly every tenant I've had has requested a wood heater.

PM agrees that heating living areas is all that is necessary so I purchased large Rinnai gas heaters for 2 of the IPs and instructed the PM to have the oil heater in another house (which is so small that it will heat the whole thing) serviced and the tenant taught how to use it efficiently and as heating oil is expensive I am contributing to the purchase of some oil. This is a much cheaper alternative to ripping out the old oil heater and flue, having gas installed and buying a new heater that will not heat any more than the living areas. I think the tenant will be better off.

Cathy

Back