Help advice needed - adding value for future sale of rental property

Hi everyone,

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm updating the flooring in my IP but my circumstances have changed and I may be selling the property in the next 1-2 yrs.

I had decided on Bamboo floorboards but was advised by flooring experts & my architect friends that I should instead go for a laminate floorboards as they are more hard wearing and better for a rental property.

Given I am thinking of selling in the future, do you think that I should still consider laminate flooring or will this appear cheaper and therefore affect the sale price when it comes time to sell? I thought NO given this type of property would appeal to a first home buyer or investor, and the laminate may still be in better condition.

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice as I am stuck !

Thank you.

Do you need to update the flooring now? Could it wait until you are ready to sell then go Bamboo or something that will get a good sale price? No need to worry about scratches on it then.

What is the expectation in the area for similar type properties when selling?
If I wasn't selling I would put laminate as what guarantee you will have the tenants will look after the floor boards? Wt take the chance?
If you don't have to to then delay the flooring until prior to sell but it may be that you have commenced already?
I doubt you can ask for more rent for the floor boards so I would go with vinyl that looks like flooring for now...
Best of luck in your decision.

Do you need to update the flooring now? Could it wait until you are ready to sell then go Bamboo or something that will get a good sale price? No need to worry about scratches on it then.

Unfortunately it can't wait as the current carpet is pretty bad and I don't want it to become a hazard to my tenants so needs to be replaced. Also might not be selling right away, am waiting for market to improve.

What is the expectation in the area for similar type properties when selling?
If I wasn't selling I would put laminate as what guarantee you will have the tenants will look after the floor boards? Wt take the chance?
If you don't have to to then delay the flooring until prior to sell but it may be that you have commenced already?
I doubt you can ask for more rent for the floor boards so I would go with vinyl that looks like flooring for now...
Best of luck in your decision.

In the complex it's a combination of leaving carpet throughout (which I think looks worse than laminate floorboards). Other apartments have done a similar look of floorboards in living and carpet in bedroom.

To be honest I can't really tell if they have used laminate or bamboo or timber in the online postings. Will speak to some sales agents for their advice.

Back