help ideas needed

i all i have just spent the weekend ripping out a bathroom in 1 day ,,and today i have just done the plumbing {well not me but hubby ,,,i was the go and get it person } and now we have a problem with putting in the new bath ,my hubbys not good at keeping straight so the wood frame went out the window ,and he dare not try and brick it {not brikkie either } we put in our corner spa years ago and we cant remember how we did it ha ha old age i think its called ,any way the corner of the wall is not level ,,as one would expect ,,we put bricks under the bath to get it level but the corner still drops ,its just not stable the whole lot and the frame was a waste of time ,,,,so now he wants to call a brick layer in,, to set the bath in ,,but we are trying not to spend to much money ,,as one does,,,, we have spent over 1,000 already for the items so has any one got any other ideas :(

Set the bath on a bed of sand & cement (premix is ok), mix it pretty dry so it doesnt shrink when it dries. Spread the cement out and place the bath on it. With a 1 metre level on the bath and you wearing a pair of socks , get in the bath and walk around and level the bath while your husband pushes the cement around under it till its level.

If you are placing the bath against a stud wall, check the studs out about 10-20 mm so the edge of the bath is recessed into the wall a bit. This allows your villaboard and tiles to come down over the lip of the bath for effective waterproffing.

You'll still need to build a frame on the outside edge of the bath and possible the end to support it.

Another way its done is to build a wall around the bath (all 4 sides) in Hebel bricks and set the bath on it, this way is more common these days but i like the old way.

Bathroom renovations can be tricky (especially installing the bath and water proofing) and you might need a tradesman or someone who has done it before to help you.

BTW Is it legal in most states to install the bath and connect all the taps, waste pipes etc? In victoria I was fixing a rusted/damaged down pipe for the gutters and my neighbore told me I had to get a plumber to do the job or he would call the council (neighbore was a tradesman)

Brains has got it.

May I just add that if the sand cement mix has to make up some height just add some bricks to boost the height.

HA HA
I learnt that years ago when fixing our house
there is more ruble under that cement than,,,,,,,,cement
sure saves you alot in$$$$$$$$
thanks cosmo :D

Once you've thown all the cement underneath, 3/4 full the bath with water. That'll

a) ensure it stays put with the weight

- and -

b) make sure it's level (ie - look to see if the water's higher on one side or even).

Jas

Those Hebel blocks are fantastic to work with should you go down that track. I used them to support an unusually shaped rectangle spa bath last weekend. I shaped them with a saw and wood rasp. Glued them in and finished with the aforementioned cement slurry. They were a great solution to a difficult problem.

If you do need to build a timber frame then just make it as square as you can and if the floor isn't level just insert the required shims/spacers into or under the frame where necessary. They come in the form of inexpensive strips sold at all hardware stores

Kel

thanks denkel for your advice
its amazing how their is so many great ideas coming from you guys ,
thanks all for you GREAT IDEAS :)
hubby is going tomorrow ,{i cant go im working }
so we will see if we fixed the problem
the tenants must smell by now hehehehehehehe:p

I think a slurry is too wet for the bath, you need it much dryer than that. It will shrink as it dries.
Also i used bits of broken villaboard with liquid nails to level an uneven floor.

Originally posted by Denkel
Those Hebel blocks are fantastic to work with should you go down that track. I used them to support an unusually shaped rectangle spa bath last weekend. I shaped them with a saw and wood rasp. Glued them in and finished with the aforementioned cement slurry. They were a great solution to a difficult problem.

If you do need to build a timber frame then just make it as square as you can and if the floor isn't level just insert the required shims/spacers into or under the frame where necessary. They come in the form of inexpensive strips sold at all hardware stores

Kel

Back