Help please - Tiles vs Carpet in my bedrooms in BNE

I have an IP.
I am getting the lounge, dining, kitchen tiled.
I have been quoted 1200 to get the 3 bedrooms tiled too.
This actually isnt a huge amount more than what it would be to carpet the rooms (the existing carpet has to go).

I see the advantages of tiling the rooms that it all can get done in one go and I wont need to replace the tiles hopefully for a long time.

But a few people have said people prefer carpet in the bedrooms. In Cairns or Darwin tiles are preferred but BNE can get a bit cold in winter (so some people say) and therefore people prefer the comfort of carpet. Also carpet is noise dampening.

Please help as I am finding it difficult to make a decision about this.

Thanks
Jesse

Hrm, where I am I'd take carpet over anything in the bedroom. Sure tiles are lower maintainence, but carpet is so much warmer!

Disclaimer: I live somewhere with Canberra weather.

Go tiles - you don't have to live there, no stains, bulletproof, easy to clean, no issues with bond. If they don't like it thay can buy a rug.

Louise

Definitely carpet in the bedrooms! Several years ago, we rented a house in Brisbane with tiles everywhere and it was absolutely freezing cold in winter! Needless to say, we did not renew the lease! :(

Cheers
LynnH

divided issue

Good ideas from everybody.
I need more posts please because it seems 50/50.
Any other Brisbanites out there? Property managers?
Half i talk to say tiles are too cold and not cosy in the bedroom. (I had also thought about depreciation).
The other half say tile it because of low maintenance and yes let the tenants buy a rug.
I posted on a renovation forum and overwhelmingly they said carpet. BUT they were all from VIC, NSW.
Thanks

Go tiles and a "50% off" Rugs a million rug :)

Best of both worlds.

Cheers
Sue

...and if you pay cash, you will get an extra 51.5% off, but only on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sundays...we're closing down, everything must go, our storeman has purchased too many sea containers full of rugs...what a doozey!...:D

Definitely carpet in the bedroom and tiles everwhere else. The tenants won't want to be buying rugs they might not need at the next place!

Flying Carpet

I would definately go carpet.

Tiles can be so cold and also hard on feet. They can date somewhat quick and you cannot just pull them up in a day and re-carpet. (Though you could carpet over.)

Carpet gives a soft warm feeling to bedrooms. not a clinical cold feeling:eek:

It can be depreciated. Tiles can often crack with movement in concrete slab or floor base. I have actually seen large tiles lift up like a pyramid when expansion joints have not been used:(

Carpet can quickly be replaced to give a property a new clean look. Along with a quick paint and your back in business.:)

Gee Cee

Greg

We have polished floors everywhere except the bedrooms (in Brisbane). If you want something that is not cold and clinical like tiles in a bedroom :eek: why not look at cheap(ish) carpet or laminate click flooring.

We have polished timber in our rentals which are not clinical like tiles, but for me they show too much dust. Tiles would be the same (but you are not living there, so dust won't bother you). Our carpeted bedrooms are probably dusty under the beds where the vacuum doesn't easily reach, but we don't see it :D.

I couldn't imagine having tiles in a bedroom.

hi jesse

i was in a similar situation about 5 mths ago, when i had to decide what to do with the flooring of my place. Main difference is that my place is in Canberra, so experiences eskimo weather in the winter.

My final decision was to get tiles in all the common areas, as these are the most likely to get trashed from spilt food, muddy footprints, etc. and to have carpets in the bedrooms. It was surprising how much of a difference the new carpets made (replaced 10 year old carpets) to the feel of the place - made it more homely and somehow warmer/more comfortable?!? My thinking is that hopefully the carpet wont get trashed too quickly, as people dont eat too much in bedrooms, although makeup......i hope not.

Also, my thinking is that expecting tenants to buy a few rugs for the common areas is no big deal, but to buy rugs for the bedrooms (and getting right size and not tripping over edges, etc.) is pushing it a bit....

So my vote is for tiled everywhere but bedrooms.

I should add - when I said tile the bedroom I would supply the throw rugs with it.

I would not expect the tenant to buy their own rugs.

Tiles and carpeted bedrooms.
If you need a guy to carpet your brissie place pm me and I'll give you his details.

Carpet Vs Tiles

Here in Brisbane, we prefer a combo, carpet and tiles!

Carpet in the bedrooms and tiles everywhere else.

Low maintenance for the tiles for the tenants and the landlord, bedrooms with carpet for convenience & comfort for the tenants.

This house I purchased and currently live in has carpet floors in the bedrooms, but also the living room (this is not good for maintenance).

When I moved in, the carpet floor in the living room was so filthy and lots of stains here and there, but in the bedrooms the carpet looks fine.

So go for the Carpet and Tiles combo :D

Back