help. waiting for former tenant to clean the unmoved stuff before new tenant move in

My former tenant moved out the week before. Agent call me yesterday she got a new tenant application which looks good.

But she said we need arrange they move in the next week because there are some stuff left by former tenant.

I am surprised . is it normal the owner have to keep the left over for former tenant even about two week after they moved out.

Thank u in advance.

Check with your PM. If it is rubbish you can dump it yourself rather than lose money waiting for them to come back to do it. If it is their property (clothing, furniture etc) you must follow the rules, store it etc. Check the rules for your state.

Agree with wylie.

Also confirm as to whether the bond has been released and when the outgoing tenant is paid to.

If the tenant still has items then they are still in occupancy and the rental should continue.

Agree with wylie.

Also confirm as to whether the bond has been released and when the outgoing tenant is paid to.

If the tenant still has items then they are still in occupancy and the rental should continue.

This brings up more problems though. It seems most PMs allow several days for the tenant to come back and clean. As we self-manage, we often have one tenant go out and another go in next day. That is because we are happy to pop over and do a final mop if required rather than wait for the tenant to come back and do it. That could take three days if they are in the middle of unpacking at the new place, at work etc.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but assuming they have not moved and therefore "should" still pay rent creates the problem that you have no right to enter the house and move their stuff.

We've had two times when we've had to bend the rules. We had some non-payers move out and leave the house a real mess. We cleaned up, but technically because they had not returned the keys, we had no legal right to enter the house and change the locks (which we did).

The other time was when personal things (clothing, jewellery etc) were left inside a house but the tenants stopped answering their mobiles when we tried to get a move out date. We had to go through the tedious effort of issuing notices, waiting the time limits etc. Much better to be able to get in quickly.

Thank u guys.

I am in Sydney.is there any limit of minimal/max days we need wait in NSW?

Bond is not released luckily. Could I charge them rental since it's the ninth day since official move out day.

Seriously, your property manager should be organising all of this. They should have the property in a state after last tenant so it is ready to rent again. if they don't know what they need to do to remove the belongings, charge it from the bond etc then you really need to find a new property manager.

My pm said we should wait and charge them removal fee if not replied still. But She don't think we can charge them rental. I am not completely convinced that is the way considering such a long period.that's why I ask here to get some idea.

My impression (just my guess) 3 days wait is reasonable, but 9 days is ridiculous.

If you have a forwarding address the easiest and fastest way to resolve this is to pack it all into a trailer and then place it on their front lawn of their new house for them.

My pm said we should wait and charge them removal fee if not replied still. But She don't think we can charge them rental. I am not completely convinced that is the way considering such a long period.that's why I ask here to get some idea.

My impression (just my guess) 3 days wait is reasonable, but 9 days is ridiculous.

Your PM should not be "thinking" about whether she can or cannot charge them rental. She should know what to do in these circumstances according to the rules or the act or whichever department is in charge of this in your state. In Queensland it is the Residential Tenancy Association and they know the answers to this stuff in Queensland. Whatever department looks after it in your state should be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Also, get your bond refund paperwork in. Not sure where your IP is, but here in Queensland (unless things have changed) whoever lodges the paperwork first is in a stronger position with the other party having to agree or pay to fight it.

Your PM sounds hopeless, so ask her to call the relevant authority yourself and find out for sure... and then find a new PM.

refer to residential tenancies act nsw Division 2 goods left on premises.
you can dispose of perishables but must issue a disposal notice to the person for their goods (14 days). personal documentation is kept for 90 days.
you can charge a storage fee but not exceeding the rent for 14 days.

Wait a minute... Your tenant moved out a week ago, and your PM *just* informed you there's goods still there?

Generally I will allow tenants to return once, within 24 hours to clean/remove things. By law (in Vic) you don't have to, but it is seen as favourable if the situation escalates to VCAT.

Back