Help with Construction, Damaged Neighbours Property

We're building a second floor to our house, and after much trouble we finally got it approved. While we were building our roof however, we damaged theirs. They asked for money, whereas we wanted to hire our own builders and fix it (the amount they asked for was much more than the usual quota). Eventually they let us, and we had an inspector ok it (but turns out this inspector was really new and basically his report doesn't count as a legal document). It cost a lot more money at the time than we originally thought, because the problem got worse during the time they wouldn't let us fix it. Now we've got a letter asking for even more money from their insurance company, along with photos. However we're suspecting that the photos may be staged, since we fixed it properly, and that the insurance company may have been duped by them. A solicitor doesn't seem cost worthy at the moment, and they won't let us get an inspector into their house. What should we do?

Last edited:
Thanks for the message. I'm sorry I cannot help but my comment that this is just too vague was meant to prompt some more information so that someone else reading it (and there are lawyers who post here) could give you some help.

With the amount of information in your initial post (and I understand you are concerned with privacy) I don't think you will get any answers here, but perhaps someone who can help you may private message you.

If the neighbours wouldn't let you fix it and wanted money instead, why did you go ahead and fix it anyway?

If you handed it over as an insurance claim at that time, it should be out of your hands now.

Bit late now, but need more details for anybody to assist you.

Were you using a builder to do your work? Surely their insurance would have covered them damaging your neighbours.

Even if you were owner builder there should have been some sort of insurance involved.

If they are claiming on their insurance that should have been done before you fixed it. This sounds like a very complicated situation where you will be out of pocket substantially

Their insurance company should send an inspector. If it's been fixed appropriately then you should be ok.

The story about insurance is really long but basically we can't use our insurance or the builder's. Their insurance company has checked up on it, and has photo evidence, however we're almost 100% positive that we fixed it properly....we suspect foul play although we're not too sure

Back