Help with selecting tenant

Hi

I have my tenant rent 5 weeks in arrears and had to bring them to tribunal

Is there a way to know if a tenant payment history is good and never brought to tribunal during tenant selection?

This is the first time happened to me and don't want to happen again, if anyone know the answer, can you please advise what is your strategy in selecting tenant with good history?

Thx

Get a PM. Post which suburb your IP is in and get referrals. If you plan on building a portfolio, get used to paying people to do things for you.
Alex

There are 2 tenant default databases that tenants can be listed on TICA and NTD. Private landlords usually cannot access them but may be able to through a private landlords association for a fee.

Property managers should always check tenants on BOTH databases. Make sure the PM that is looking after your property subscribes to both because alot of the time tenants are listed on either one or the other and rarely on both at the same time!

I do have a PM but they did not mention any about those two databases during tenant selection

My PM does not really advise me anything until the tenant were 5 weeks arrear.
I am not happy with my PM and the tenant and thinking to switch over

Any good recommendation in blacktown area?

Get a new PM NOW. If you have a tenant in arrears, they should be sent a notice to vacate after 14days. For a PM to allow it to get to 5 weeks, they are obviously NOT doing a good job. Is the IP in Blacktown itself, or further West.

As far as knowing if a tenant is good or not, you have to remember that even good tenants can sometimes go bad. We've just been through an eviction with a tenant that presented with good references. Unfortunately, it happens.

Back