Hideous repair job by PM's tradesman

I'll be posting another thread about something else that's happened :-(

But to cut a long story short, my newly renovated in December unit had dirty marks on the walls courtesy of the ex-tenant.

PM said he would have it fixed along with some other repairs.

I've just inspected it today and it looks like the repairman has PAINTED OVER the dirty marks IN A DIFFERENT COLOUR!

The walls are a light yellow. The patches are darker yellow and very noticeable.

I have some spare paint left over but no one contacted me about the wall marks and that they were going to paint over them. I assumed they would wash them off as it's wash and wear paint.

I was going to move in there myself since I've had so many problems with tenants since December. Now I couldn't even rent it out for $195 per week which is the top end of the 1 bedroom unit market in the area and what I was getting with the ex-tenant. Who would want to live with patches on the walls? They're on 4 walls.

I stopped by the office afterwards but PM was out. I spoke to him on his mobile and he said he'd try to have a look this afternoon. I also left him a detailed note about what was still wrong with the unit, including the repairs.

What can I do now? It's certainly not worth paying for! The only problem is PM has the bond money which is going towards repairs. I certainly can't afford to pay for a professional paint job for the whole unit as ex-tenant owes me 6 weeks rent! :eek:

Because I would have to buy more paint to repaint it all and I've never painted before and want it to look good.

I don't see why I should have to do it when PM said he would get it repaired for me and repairman has done crappy job. I feel after everything that's happened to me with tenant it's up to PM to make good on it.

It sounds like your Pm organised the job ,but didn't go and check on it after it was done.

It was his tradesman so it is your PM's responsibility to correct things - I know what Pam would do at Metropole Property Management, as would most responsible PM's

She would get the tradesman to go back and paint all the walls so that they were one colour - the one you originally chose. The retail cost of this would be say $200, but the cost to the tradesman is much less so he would do it so he could get paid for teh original work and so he would get ongoing work from your PM.

Having said that, I hope we wouldn't employ tradesmen who were sloppy like this and if they were they wouldn't get another job.

Poor Jennyn's having a rough trot.
Michael is right - the PM is responsible for the appropriate expenditure of your funds, and is responsible for ensuring the quality of the finished job for the right price. If the job is not done properly, PM must withold payment and handle the situation, not rocket science for an average PM, and with a good one, you probably wouldn't even hear about the problem, you pay them to handle it for you and get the job done. Hope PM pulls up the socks.
cheers ;)
crest133

Must agree with Crest and Micheal. Your PM organised the job and should be checking the job before payment is made. Get you PM to do the job you are paying them for. Spot on Crest, it's not rocket science.

Jarrod
Jarrod Lane Real Estate :)

Maybe you should start learning some DIY at your PPOR. I know its not for everyone, but at least you know the level of care & the capabilities of the person doing the job! I suppose it depends on how critical tax deductions are to you as well.

Back