High Court rules against apartmnet owners

An interesting High Court decision is being reported in todays media.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/high-court-decision-bad-news-for-apartment-owners-20141008-10rw0e.html

HC appears to have determined that the Builder (Brookfield Multiplex) has no duty of care to owners or the strata to repair defects in common areas - Only apartments. One might imagine a shortfall in levies is now apparent in many newly completed projects across Australia.

This poses a major concern. I'm also personally questioning the practices of this builder to fight claims for defects...I might imagine many owners and investors may shy away from a Brookfield Multiplex built job if that's their attitude to correcting defects.

Indeed concerning. The builder should have the responsibility of meeting the scope of work and standards. But that said, I think most builders will try to skimp on anything they can and just meet the minimum :mad:

An interesting outcome as it is foreseeable that the common areas would be controlled by a BC however as the BC cannot exist until the building has been subdivided by the developers, it is accepted that the builder cannot contract with an entity which doesn't exist until the construction contract has been completed.

An interesting outcome as it is foreseeable that the common areas would be controlled by a BC however as the BC cannot exist until the building has been subdivided by the developers, it is accepted that the builder cannot contract with an entity which doesn't exist until the construction contract has been completed.

This case is one for all those SS posts that ask if they should invest in managed hotel leased-apartment ventures. The key issue in this case appears to revolve around that issue. Brookfield Multiplex has no duty of care to Holiday Inn. The owners who paid for units may yet meet the cost of the defects and legal costs etc incurred by Holiday Inn.

The owners who paid for units may yet meet the cost of the defects and legal costs etc incurred by Holiday Inn.

Long term managed investments sound good with great returns and fixed annual increases until you realise all the things that management can, and ultimately will, include in its fees.

An interesting High Court decision is being reported in todays media.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/high-court-decision-bad-news-for-apartment-owners-20141008-10rw0e.html

HC appears to have determined that the Builder (Brookfield Multiplex) has no duty of care to owners or the strata to repair defects in common areas - Only apartments. One might imagine a shortfall in levies is now apparent in many newly completed projects across Australia.

This poses a major concern. I'm also personally questioning the practices of this builder to fight claims for defects...I might imagine many owners and investors may shy away from a Brookfield Multiplex built job if that's their attitude to correcting defects.

agreed, although my understanding is that the high court ruled in regards to the serviced apartments, not the residential apartments of the building.

Since the serviced apartments comprise of investors, then they should enter with buyer beware.

Still concerning.

Long term managed investments sound good with great returns and fixed annual increases until you realise all the things that management can, and ultimately will, include in its fees.

oh it can get far far worse than this.

I was the unsuccessful bidder on a repossessed service apartment recently.
It was sold 'off the plan' to a na?ve investor for around $550k.
Apartment itself quite ok, good position, large (2bed around 90sqm).
But the devil was in the details.
A residential lease agreement yet 5 years with two options of 5 years. (but last option being excercised when I participated)

No rent increase for the first two years, followed by CPI for the remaining 3 years.
At the end of 5 years, owner has to replace all furniture at his own cost (around $11k every 5 years)
Rent was just standard residential, around $530 per week.
Owner to pay all outgoings.

I was interested at around $280k mark, ended up selling for $380k.

My understanding of this was that the builder got out of fixing the common areas because the contract wasn't with the Body Corporate? Is this correct?

Do you think it will have a big impact on off-the-plan sales? I know that investors who do the DD will know about the reputation of the builder, but many people (investors and owner occupiers) don't do the necessary research.

I will be curious to see what this means for OTP prices.

My understanding of this was that the builder got out of fixing the common areas because the contract wasn't with the Body Corporate? Is this correct?
Qualifier: I am not a lawyer, but I am a law student, and I'm just finishing this very subject right now (negligence actions based on PEL, pure economic loss).

There are several issues combined in this judgment, and yes, that's one of the issues.

If you buy a home, you have a contract with the builder for the whole home, and are protected by contractual (and statutory) warranties for the whole home. As stated, the body corporate didn't exist when the construction contract was entered into, so there's no contract between the body corporate and the builder that the body corporate could seek to enforce.

Therefore, being no contract between the parties, the body corporate had to rely on tort law, specifically negligence. (Tort law is sometimes called the "law of wrongs", and is usually resorted to when there is no contract. e.g. You and I don't have a contract that you won't mow me down with your car while I'm out walking my dog, but tort law imposes a duty on you, in the absence of contract, to take reasonable care not to mow me down. :) The other main types of tort law, besides negligence - the biggie - are trespass and defamation.)

In negligence, the first question any court will ask is whether the aggrieved party (body corporate) was owed a duty of care by the builder, and the High Court has decided in the negative in this case.

If the defects alleged had actually resulted in damage to property or people - e.g. if a ceiling collapsed and damaged personal property within an apartment, or hurt a person in the apartment - then it's likely to be a very different scenario and a duty is much more likely to have been found. Economic losses that flow from damage - e.g. damage to property or injury - are much easier to establish, e.g. loss of earnings if you're in a car accident and can't work.

But in this instance, there was no damage or injury: the defects just mean that the defective items aren't worth as much, and need money spent on them to bring them up to standard, and to prevent future damage.

This makes the body corporate's claim a claim for "pure economic loss" - loss in the absence of damage/injury, i.e. they've suffered financial losses only - and for a lot of reasons, courts are very reluctant to impose liability for PEL. (It used to be even harder until the last couple of decades.)

There are about half-a-dozen factors that a court considers when deciding whether they'll impose liability for PEL, one of which is the vulnerability of the aggrieved party. So they ask: "is there anything the body corporate could have done to protect itself from this loss?", and the answer of the High Court seems to be yes.

The original developer (Chelsea) could have included contractual provisions in the construction contract that required the developer to provide a warranty for latent defects. (There was some coverage for latent defects, but I believe the period had expired by the time these defects were discovered.) Had Chelsea included a clause for latent defects that covered the discovery of the defects at issue, the body corporate may have been able to argue that they - as a subsequent owner to the party who contracted for construction - relied on such a contractual warranty.

But Chelsea had no such coverage in their contract, and the Court appears to suggest that not even Chelsea would have had an action in negligence against the builder, if Chelsea had still owned the common property at the time these defects were identified.

That being the case, a subsequent owner - the body corporate - can't have more rights than the party who negotiated the construction contract, and thus there's no duty of care and the body corporate lost.

What will be the consequences? Well, on the contractual side, I imagine the solicitors of OTP purchasers will be advising them to look hard at the original construction contract with respect to latent defects warranties.

If there's enough outcry, there may be statutory reform, i.e. Laws might be made that developers have to provide latent defects coverage for a certain number of years to body corporates.

The judgment is here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2014/36.html

Of particular note are paras 31-36 and 55-58 regarding a duty of care, and para 186 (suggesting that High Court considers legislative reform more appropriate than extension of negligence PEL claims to resolve this issue).

Last edited:
Thanks Perp!

That was clear and I could understand that. Appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Great, thank you. That was the goal. :)

It was good revision for me. The judgment is actually incredibly good exam preparation, as it goes over the applicability or otherwise of all the most prominent cases we've been studying, and explains precisely the distinctions between them.

Back