Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

would you care to share?

Please do Urban Planner. We tried to get the 3rd floor allowed under sustainability and offered every sustainable feature under the sun but they still said over developed and no sustainable enough.

I decided this morning after sleeping on it that I wanted to fight some more for the 3rd floor rather than go back to the drawing board again. I wanted to know how much power DAC had and who to escalate to.

Then after telling Aaron that, they contacted him for a meeting to discuss my development.

I think the 10 minute constraints of DAC really hamper a collaborative working relationship between developer and Council. I'm happy to work with them and take onboard their guidance but there are situations where I need to justidy my case and all that cannot be done in 10mins.

Not sure that there's a great deal to share TBH. We went to DAC (actually the very first DAC meeting last year), they completely hated it but all of their comments were opinionated more than anything so we provided a written response to that effect and made some minor mods to the plans and relodged with Vincent who got the ball rolling with their planners.

We were staring down the barrell of a refusal based on height, and so we arranged a meeting with Alannah, Carlie and the planner dealing with it and Alannah was all for it, being aged care apartments. She had no issue whatsoever with the height but wanted more landscaping so we did. And the Officers had been assessing it against the old MD policy and not the new version which allows for 3 storeys plus loft (size is R80, over 1000sqm), and then an additional storey under the discretion policy if you satisfy x,y,z. We managed to convince them that we satisfy the criteria to get the extra storey and will be going to Council at the end of the month with a recommendation for approval.

The Client is Department of Housing which you would think would make it easier as the WAPC is the determining authority with Vincent only making a recommendation but DoH is adamant on getting a recommendation for approval Vincent first. And I think being DoH made it harder as Vincent have been burnt by DoH in the past with some fairly poor designs and so they're taking a very cautious approach to this one. But we'll get there.

Who's the planner dealing with yours? Initials will do if you dont want to name names? :D

Not sure that there's a great deal to share TBH. We went to DAC (actually the very first DAC meeting last year), they completely hated it but all of their comments were opinionated more than anything so we provided a written response to that effect and made some minor mods to the plans and relodged with Vincent who got the ball rolling with their planners.

We were staring down the barrell of a refusal based on height, and so we arranged a meeting with Alannah, Carlie and the planner dealing with it and Alannah was all for it, being aged care apartments. She had no issue whatsoever with the height but wanted more landscaping so we did. And the Officers had been assessing it against the old MD policy and not the new version which allows for 3 storeys plus loft (size is R80, over 1000sqm), and then an additional storey under the discretion policy if you satisfy x,y,z. We managed to convince them that we satisfy the criteria to get the extra storey and will be going to Council at the end of the month with a recommendation for approval.

The Client is Department of Housing which you would think would make it easier as the WAPC is the determining authority with Vincent only making a recommendation but DoH is adamant on getting a recommendation for approval Vincent first. And I think being DoH made it harder as Vincent have been burnt by DoH in the past with some fairly poor designs and so they're taking a very cautious approach to this one. But we'll get there.

Who's the planner dealing with yours? Initials will do if you dont want to name names? :D

If this is the one I'm thinking of, it was deferred at last weeks meeting?

carlie asked for a meeting, assessor is AD (not wanting to name civil servants publicly, but im sure you know those initials).

meeting with ms mctiernan as well, i believe.

Latest update:
Aaron met with ToV last week and we are now a test case for Sustainability and working directly with them instead of DAC.
More modifications to the plan are happening but I think they are good for the project.
It has some serious Sustainability features and should be 8 star compliant at the end.
It will even have cactus vertical gardens and a veggie patch. :D

Latest update:
Aaron met with ToV last week and we are now a test case for Sustainability and working directly with them instead of DAC.
More modifications to the plan are happening but I think they are good for the project.
It has some serious Sustainability features and should be 8 star compliant at the end.
It will even have cactus vertical gardens and a veggie patch. :D

Hey Myf, what's the latest with this one? Hopefully all these modifications aren't costing you a packet! :p

Oscar

Hey Myf, what's the latest with this one? Hopefully all these modifications aren't costing you a packet! :p

Oscar

Not going to cost me a cent if I don't get approval :cool:

Umm where are we at? Aaron resubmitted on Friday plan revision G

We've taken off some things, added some things but over all it's not too much different. I'm not getting it repriced until it's approved for DA.

Then if it's really overpriced then I'll give the local streetwalkers a place to serve their customers and turn it into a baby apartment block of ill repute :rolleyes:

I don't think it will differ much from orig pricing.

Carlie back on board tomorrow so I will have a firmer idea after speaking to her.

speaking to the neighbours as well, ahead of advertising.

final DAC tonight.

neighbours are better than most - only concern is any overlooking.

cross fingers we get an approval from them - not that we need it, it just makes life a lot easier.

Final DAC? NOT!!

However our most positive DAC to date. Looks like we'll be going back for a 4th DAC too. The architects on the panel came up with some really constructive ideas this time and are going to provide some examples of what they are envisaging.

Aaron and I had a chat afterwards and seem to be on the same page in regards to our interpretation of the panel members comments.

Revision H will incorporate some 'loft like' elements like some sloping external walls/roof on the 3rd floor

So sorry for butting in but I Can't believe I have come to the end already....have just read every single post in one sitting and am loving it! So much involved...wow...have to know what happens, good luck with it all :) M.

So sorry for butting in but I Can't believe I have come to the end already....have just read every single post in one sitting and am loving it! So much involved...wow...have to know what happens, good luck with it all :) M.

10 pages and what has changed - well I own it now and that's it lol! still not approved :) Gotta love it :rolleyes:

I think the positive thing tonight was

1) they accepted the fact you aren't backing down when it comes to three stories.
2) asked us to 'sculpt' the design into the streetscape more.
3) drew a ring around what they want to see.
4) are providing examples of what they want to see.
5) all three members present were on the same page, and so was Carlie.
6) Carlie ceded the fact that wall heights will be somewhere between 7m and 10.5m because of the sought concessions and if it's at the lower end of that scale it seems to have a better chance for approval. Impact on the neighbour re wall height was less of an issue than street scape.

as discussed, myf and I understand what they are after and I think that not backing down was a good move, even if it did cost a month (not my money, I know).

I do not believe we will need to go back for a fourth shot. I will talk to Carlie and see if we can get it sent out for informal comment as I have done previously. I will be on the phone to Joe Chindarsi before the week is out and have a concept in front of him, if he will accept it.

the DAC have accepted the third storey on condition of minor upper floor changes that dont affect what we can do with the site and allow Myf to maximise what is possible.

I think Myf was well placed to argue for more and it's good to know that we have come back to my aforementioned fall back position.

Mwahahahaha - thankfully he didn't quote by the revision! He did mention a mental breakdown if we get to K.

never.

like I said, all inclusive.

when people see how much work goes into these things, especially after hours and in forums like this, the value of the "all in one" pricing structure becomes apparent.

I'm just sorry it takes so long. :eek:

Back