Home Printer

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a printer, I don't need anything fancy, under $500, preferably laser printer.

At the moment I have a dud, constant paper jams.

Thanks
MTR

I would say go with a canon, any model will do that falls within your budget

Reason, its cheap to run with the ink cartridge available everywhere and it does the job well.

I buy my ink cartridge at local trash treasure market, from what i remember was around $10 / cartridge

ive had lots of luck with brother multifunction lasers

wont you need one for A3 printing/scanning too? i do also have an A3 brother multifunction (inkjet) 6910DW and it does the job but is not as reliable as the laser

We too have had good experiences with (and have at home currently) a Brother Multifunction Laser Printer/Scanner/Photocopier. Ours is B&W, I want to say the model number is something like 440?? ie MFC440-something. We've had it for 3 years or so and it's been great.

Hi hobo,

+ 1 brother...I have a Brother Multifunction MFC-295CN and get 15 ink cartridges off ebad for 23.90$....Just a quick scan on ebad hobo you can get 20 ink carts for 20$.

@MTR,be wary of some models,as there chipped and chipped to die as an eg:2yrs.
That said though,there is software to alter the date.

Cheers Spades.

I mainly use a Brother HL-2270DW (mono laser).
Decided I really didn't use that much colour anyway.

Previously (and still have) used a Brother MFC-440CN (colour inkjet) that scans, faxes etc. Decided the cartridges were costing me a fortune - bloody thing wouldn't print with an empty colour cartridge even though I wanted B&W. Felt ripped off when there was plenty of black still there. I think this is how they make their money. Still use it for scanning or fax if req'd but prefer the new wireless laser.

We got one of these from Office works for like $44 - unless you need scanning and colour printing. We have a separate inkjet for that which we mostly only use for scanning only.

http://www.printersupermarket.com.a...LaserPrinter?gclid=CM7Q2LOV47oCFQ1gpQod1U0A9Q

Yep, got this model from Officeworks for mum.

The insane thing is,the toner costs almost as much the entire unit! The drum definitely costs more - so if the drum needs replacing, turf the unit and buy a new one - so much for minimising waste :( :eek:

The Y-man

As an IT guy looking after businesses, I hate brother printers. Might be different in the home environment who knows.

Your budget is fairly generous. What features do you rate as actually need vs want?

I have very simple demands, something that prints, scans and does not cost me a fortune when replacing cartridges at the moment costing me $90 per cartridge. Also needs to be able to print 3A as Sanj mentioned, in past been able to get away with this but it would be ideal now.

Thanks everyone for feedback, will also review this on net.

I would say go with a canon, any model will do that falls within your budget

Reason, its cheap to run with the ink cartridge available everywhere and it does the job well.

I buy my ink cartridge at local trash treasure market, from what i remember was around $10 / cartridge

Thanks
I pa $90 per cartridge... :eek:

We got one of these from Office works for like $44 - unless you need scanning and colour printing. We have a separate inkjet for that which we mostly only use for scanning only.

http://www.printersupermarket.com.a...LaserPrinter?gclid=CM7Q2LOV47oCFQ1gpQod1U0A9Q

I used to do old style scanning until recently.
Now use I phone app, super quick to do multi pages, keep a record and print out if required.
Super quick to email as a PDF also.
No more scanning machine required, good for scanning A3 plans also, where a standard A4 scanner can't do it.

I've got a canon MP640. It scans, prints and it also has a cartridge so I can print on blank DVD's (I need this or work).

Cartridges are cheap (I get the no name ones). and it takes a fat black, a thin black and the 3 colours $6 each cartridge.

It's a few years old. There's probably a newer version now. The thing I find that is SUPER important is the cost of the cartridges. With some it is cheaper to get a new printer when the ink runs out.

I used to do old style scanning until recently.
Now use I phone app, super quick to do multi pages, keep a record and print out if required.
Super quick to email as a PDF also.
No more scanning machine required, good for scanning A3 plans also, where a standard A4 scanner can't do it.

EBay has some nice cheap tools for scanning. Can carry one of those in the pocket

Back