Home Surround Sound Systems

May want to also checkout videopro.com.au

They usually have sales which are cheaper than the store. Look at the clearence corner section on the site.

All solutions above are two expensive, not worth the dollar.

Try a pair of Bose? Companion? 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers. Plug to your TV, and You will be amazed by its sound. and it only cost a little over $100. Best ever investment I had.:D

All solutions above are two expensive, not worth the dollar.

Try a pair of Bose? Companion? 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers. Plug to your TV, and You will be amazed by its sound. and it only cost a little over $100. Best ever investment I had.:D

Ok, I just had a look at bose website, the budget here is around 4k mark
http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/5.1_surround_systems/page.html

Unless your talking about these computer speaker? 99 bucks?
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...mputer_speakers/companion_2/companion2_s3.jsp

Just make sure whatever you get suits your usage.

For instance, a lot of those blu-ray player based systems might only have 1 x HDMI input. This is alright if you only have the TV going in - but useless for xbox, laptops, streaming players etc.

I am a cheapskate & have got one like this that has 4 x HDMI
http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/HTP-072/print.html
JB have them for $497. Of course, you'd have to buy a blu-ray player.

I use for streaming netflix via a WDTV Live, streaming anything else thru Laptop, watching/recording using a PVR, and playing music by mobile etc.

Also use for Xbox when we have the son's friends around for the night, so multiple inputs are important for us.

The sound is good enough for movies for me. I have the rear speakers on stands right behind the lounge.

[added]
BTW - I do not use my TV speakers any more, purely thru the system. I also use a Logitech Harmony 300 remote to control everything (which was cheap at the time).

Bose is not as good as the price tag suggests. Be very careful.

This is what I went through when deciding upon what brand and specs to buy.

Many tech heads simply dismiss Bose as way over priced for the performance output.

I cant complain about the system we put together after many months of research.

Like bbmick said above, get what YOU want, not what the shiny adverts suggest. Do a bit of research, then go and listen to the systems in action.

But Bose is a no go zone when on a budget.

Looks crap. I would stay away from "all in one" systems in general.
One component breaks, everything is useless.

With sound systems, the important part is speakers. The amp is the cheapest component.

These All-In-one systems speakers in most cases cannot be reused elsewhere and aren't crash hot to begin with.

To put things into perspective, my speakers cost $1,000 (and they were considered "entry level"). They are smaller than the LG ones, but I can crank it way louder without any distortion.

The even more awesome part is that I can feel the subwoofer rumble on an explosion scene without any distortion.

And Bose are pretty good in my opinion - just not worth the money. You can buy something better for what Bose is priced at.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your feedback :rolleyes:

In summary
- JB sales dont know jack, no need to chat to them
- Need good speaker, indeed
- Bose is good, but not worth the money
- Buy depending on usage
- SONOS is a good buy, also comes with a nice price tag
- Sound Bars can be considered as an alternative
- They need to look good lol

I will probably head into stores this weekend with all of the above in mind, and see what I can find

I have this set up in one of our living rooms, with a Samsung Smart 3D TV. I bought it more for the fact the rear speakers are wireless as we have a wireless HDD that stores all our movies and all our multimedia at homes is connected via wifi so you don't need to plug anything in, just turn the TV on and pick your movie, music or whatever off the HDD.

That said, they do sound very good for the average Joe who probably wouldn't appreciate the difference between that and a $10k system. And because we have a Samsung TV all devices speak to each other and can share remotes etc

Back