Hong Kong & Australia tax treaties = null?

I did a search and couldn't find any tax treaties between Hong Kong and Australia?

So if one were to work in Hong Kong, her salary would be taxed by Hong Kong and Australia's ATO?

not sure if this is what I am looking for?

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/legal-advice/threads/130261/australia-hong-kong-tax/

Quoted:
larrakya, the first year we were here we submitted our tax return for the period we worked and had an Aussie income to the Aust IR. On the tax return we included our HK address and contact details. There after we commenced paying HK tax.

We do submit a tax return in Aust each year as we have investment properties there but only state the income earned on the properties in the return. Since we pay HK tax on our HK earned income we do not state that income in our Aust tax return.

If I was in your position I would definitely get an 'expert' in Australian tax to sort out the tax returns you have submitted whist working and earning in HK. You would probably then have to 'backpay' any taxes due in HK for that same period - I am not sure.

just marking the departure card as "leaving Australia permanently" does not make her a non resident in and of itself. she needs to work through

1. resides test
2. domicile test
3. 183 day test
4. superannuation test

once she passes all of these tests she will then be classified as a non resident for tax purposes in Australia.

The advice given on that forum may have been relevant at the time but changes to Section 23AG changed the whole game for expats.

just marking the departure card as "leaving Australia permanently" does not make her a non resident in and of itself. she needs to work through

1. resides test
2. domicile test
3. 183 day test
4. superannuation test

once she passes all of these tests she will then be classified as a non resident for tax purposes in Australia.

Cool! Thanks!! Some of the items are sort of related, example, once getting a job in Hong Kong, she will not contribute to the super; and I wouldn't expect her to have a job in Hong Kong and be able to be in Aussie for 183 days........so I guess it's okay! :)

Thanks guys! :)

Back