Trip to Hong Kong

I looooved how crowded it was. You can hip and shoulder everyone and no one says anything! :eek:

No such thing as personal space :) Same with Shaghai - there were a few times where I didn't manage to get off the train because it was physically impossible :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

That was annoying yes, and so sleazy :p

Shopping - fantastic! And had the best pork buns at Tim Ho Wan.

Can't wait to go back again.

+1 for Tim Ho Wan...best yum cha on earth. Well worth the wait. Make sure you try the osmanthus jelly

Just got back tonight. Rough trip home - my daughter and I couldn't get a seat together and then she threw up midflight on her pillow.:)

HK was much different than I expected - larger, beautiful harbour. Full of mainland chinese and Indian suit sellers.

It was hard to work out the currency for a first timer. I ended up with a huge pile of coins, most of which seem to be Macau currency - not sure how I acquired those.

Shopping was ok, not sure if it was cheap or not. I only bought some sox for myself. My daughter bought a lot of clothes and was happy.

Not sure I would go back again, unless as a stop over.

We are off to Hong Kong next week and I have spent that best part of last time trying to find a good restaurant in HK for a special occasion.

The problem is there are just so many resturants and they all seem to have a Micheleon star rating, I equate this to getting nothing on your plate and super super expensive. I did finally find something suitable however need to book 2 months in advance, I am too late for this one

I know a long shot, but anyone here who visits HK frequently, or TW, any suggestions?

Thanks
MTR:)

Tell me your needs and budget, I know too many, mail me

We are off to Hong Kong next week and I have spent that best part of last time trying to find a good restaurant in HK for a special occasion.

The problem is there are just so many resturants and they all seem to have a Micheleon star rating, I equate this to getting nothing on your plate and super super expensive. I did finally find something suitable however need to book 2 months in advance, I am too late for this one

I know a long shot, but anyone here who visits HK frequently, or TW, any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks

Depends if you want western or Chinese food. Sounds like you're after the Michelen-equivalents.

If western, maybe try Amber at Landmark. For Chinese, Tim's Kitchen is an old-school high ranking one, and kind of less pretentious than some of the other Michelen restaurants.

Would avoid their top rated restaurant Otto de Mezzo like a plague, unless you're there to drink cocktails. I've also had a lot of misses from the Michelen ones in HK.

There's also a lot of nice restaurants here and there that would never appear on the internet. If you walk past something and am unsure, use Openrice (equivalent of Urbanspoon) to check the rankings of a restaurant.

Thanks, great stuff, keep researching now.

I want traditional Chinese. We are foodies so we are up for a challenge.

Last time we went to HK, quite upsetting as we were probably the only westerners in the restaurant and we noticed that we were being ignored, or perhaps am getting paranoid?? hope this does not happen again.

Anyway, am so looking forward to HK, absolutely love the place

LW
Is $100 per head reasonable, or is that too cheap for HK for decent food/ambiance

Chinese food comes under an umbrella of different choices, and it is largely depends on your taste buds.

What is your kind of flavour MTR?

Thanks, great stuff, keep researching now.

I want traditional Chinese. We are foodies so we are up for a challenge.

Last time we went to HK, quite upsetting as we were probably the only westerners in the restaurant and we noticed that we were being ignored, or perhaps am getting paranoid?? hope this does not happen again.

Anyway, am so looking forward to HK, absolutely love the place

LW
Is $100 per head reasonable, or is that too cheap for HK for decent food/ambiance

Thanks

You do realise they don't sell fries at McDonalds , they do however sell rice.

$100 per head is probably for standard food at a nice restaurant. ie you won't be ordering Cantonese equivalents of wagyu/truffles, which I guess are like sea cucumbers, birds saliva, shark fin, some plastic thing that floats around water (a living creature, not sure what it's called in English). goose palms etc.

How about this? Go to Sai Kong (or Sai Gong, not sure about the English spelling) and eat at the local restaurants there. They have all these seafood shops; what you do is go there and choose live seafood you like, and then tell them which restaurant you want to eat at and they bring the seafood there and the chef cooks for you. Be prepared to be ripped off though. Even I get ripped off there despite native Cantonese and Mandarin tongue because I don't go enough to know the prices. But you'll still come out under $100/head, probably more like $60/head. The same thing in Australia would cost you $200/head.

If you want really mainstream ones, maybe like Chairman (Sai Wan from memory), Fook Lam Mun (in Wan Chai), Lung King Heen (in Times Square), Yung Kee (in Central). Yung Kee is kind of touristy though, I've never rated it.

If you want really local things (like sub $8), there's like Wing Wah (I think that's what it's called) noodles, where this guy wakes up every morning and makes noodles with a bamboo stick at 4am. It's in Wan Chai opposite Southorn basketball court. Some dingy shop. There's a similar one in Yau Ma Tei too next to the "Australian Milk Company" (not sure what the real English name is, but that's where everyone goes every morning to queue up to buy Australian milk) and if someone understood English they'd know what you're talking about right away.

ive always considered HK,

I dont care for michelan man food

can it be like thailand vietnam or bali where you can pick up good local food for $2 per dish? or is everything cheap still at aussie prices?

$100 per head is probably for standard food at a nice restaurant. ie you won't be ordering Cantonese equivalents of wagyu/truffles, which I guess are like sea cucumbers, birds saliva, shark fin, some plastic thing that floats around water (a living creature, not sure what it's called in English). goose palms etc.

How about this? Go to Sai Kong (or Sai Gong, not sure about the English spelling) and eat at the local restaurants there. They have all these seafood shops; what you do is go there and choose live seafood you like, and then tell them which restaurant you want to eat at and they bring the seafood there and the chef cooks for you. Be prepared to be ripped off though. Even I get ripped off there despite native Cantonese and Mandarin tongue because I don't go enough to know the prices. But you'll still come out under $100/head, probably more like $60/head. The same thing in Australia would cost you $200/head.

That might be fun, but it sounds like too much work.

Why do you get ripped off, what's going on here?

Back