Hot water system relief valve?

I just got a quote for a repair to a HWS on one of my IP's and wanted to run it by you experienced plumbers, handypeople etc to ensure I'm not being ripped off. The HWS was leaning to one side and not working properly. Plumber has said it needs a new temperature pressure relief valve which comes to a total of $258. This seems expensive to me, but what would I know about plumbing? Anyone?

Jacque,That's a bit on the high side just to replace the pressure valve
the part will be no more than $75.00,but if the plumber has to reset
the hws, and reset the pipework because if the system is not level
it will not work .good luck willair...

I just paid for a faulty thermostat to be replaced. I would imagine that is a pressure valve? Labour was $50, part was $42. With the addition of GST total was $101.20.

new temperature pressure relief valve which comes to a total of $258. This seems expensive to me, but what would I know about plumbing? Anyone?

Jacque,
That price sounds about the same my friend got quoted when he had the same issue. $85 part + labour :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I just paid for a faulty thermostat to be replaced. I would imagine that is a pressure valve? Labour was $50, part was $42. With the addition of GST total was $101.20.

Hi Brenda,

Im an electrician and a thermostat is not the same as a pressure relief valve.

The thermostat works on the electrical side of the HWS.

It monitors the temperature of the HWS tank and switches electrical power to the heating elements when the water temperature drops below the thermostat temperature setting. Once the elements heat the water back up to the setting it switched the power off again.

The temperature cycles up and down even when you are not using any hot water, thus you are paying for electricity even when NOT using hot water.

The pressure relief valve works on the plumbing side of the HWS.

It is a safety device that lets water pressure release and stops the HWS blowing up off the wall should the thermostats fail to switch off the electrical power to the heating elements inside the hws tank.

The pressure relief valve has a small lever on one end of it and you should lift this lever up and down to let water through it at least once every 6 months so as to make sure it is working correctly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just replaced one on my PPOR, parts cost $98 and took about 5min to unscrew and screw the new one on. A plumber would charge another $100 for labour and call out fee.

On a similar topic I just replaced the HWS on an IP in Springwood, as the shell was corroded through. I paid a plumber to install and take the old one away. At the next council pickup I noticed that 3 houses to the left of mine also had just replaced their HWS and had the old one's out the front for collection.

Coincidence? or Something in the water?

Thanks for the replies folks. At least it gives me an idea that, though on the exxy side, the bill isn't unreasonable.

Rixter, as far as the relief valve leaking goes, the one at home constantly drips, despite me releasing it every mth to release the pressure. Does this mean I need a new one myself?

Rixter, as far as the relief valve leaking goes, the one at home constantly drips, despite me releasing it every mth to release the pressure. Does this mean I need a new one myself?

Yes. New ones will not leak constantly at all.

They start leaking when they get on a bit because of corrosion and valve seals hardening inside.

When they have been constantly leaking for a while you will see greeny/white water calcification marks where its been dripping.

Last edited:
These valves are a temperature & pressure relief valve. They release water each time the water heats up, i.e. the cylinder is full of cool water, as it heats it expands,the excess water escapes through the valve stopping the cyclinder bursting.

A conflicting view

Do not play with the lever on the pressure valve despite what it says about testing every 6 months, this may cause it to malfunction. Instead replace the valve every 5 years as recommended.

If you get a plumber on site get him to check the water pressure into the property and get him to set the thermostate at the correct temperature for the number of occupants living in the dwelling.

cheers

Last edited:
A conflicting view

Do not play with the lever on the pressure valve despite what it says about testing every 6 months, this may cause it to malfunction. Instead replace the valve every 5 years as recommended.

If you get a plumber on site get him to check the water pressure into the property and get him to set the thermostate at the correct temperature for the nimber of occupants living in the dwelling.

cheers

Mark,

What is your qualification in this field?

I'm in the gas industry and contrary to what the advice is on the PTR (pressure temperature release valve) it is advisable not to activate the leaver at all as particulates can, and do, lodge in the seat causing the drip, drip effect.

This is general knowledge in most technical sections of the industry however, for insurance and warranty purposes, the PTR/HWS manufacturer's cover themselves with the advice to activate the lever periodically. Is it good advice or not? Well that is up to the individual.

From a safety aspect the PTR is backed by a one shot non-resetable thermostatic fuse in the gas control, which stops the flow of gas to the burner if the HWS temperature exceeds the specified limit.

Even though it is probably illegal to replace the PTR unless you are qualified, it really is a 5 minute job.

PTR valve OUCH expensive

5 years ago i replaced my ptr valve, it had been leaking a little for a while. I asked around at work even asking plumbers "its normal to leak" they said. Eventually mine kept me awake at night. Paid $95.00 did the job of replacing it myself. What really hurt was the $350.00 gas bill followed by the $260.00 water bill. That valve was replaced again last year $119.00 for the valve and i did not wait for the leak to get too bad.

Thats super Mark. ;) Any formal qualifications in the plumbing/electrical trades?

Yes I have a QBE

Rixter, am I under cross examination here? I feel your question is loaded and you seem to be beating around the bush. Personally I would rather be watching the cricket than typing this.

cheers

BTW staring into a computer screen for too long can reduce a males IQ by 10;)

I am a design engineer, and I design these P & T valves at the moment (most likely they are a RMC brand that you are using)

Basically, when your hot water in in its heating cycle, anywhere up to 3-4L of water will come out of this valve as the water in the tank expands. If they did not release this water, your tank would build up stupidly high pressures, and probably take out half your house with them when they blow up.

So if they ever leak, just open the lever and let water escape for 10 -15seconds (dont do this while someone is in the shower, as they will loose all hot pressure, and have a very cold shower). Once you have done this ease the lever back, and wait 10 - 15 seconds and once the water has drained from the pipe, there should be no more drips. If its still dripping, then you have a faulty valve.

They should only ever drip when your hot water tank is heating, so if its off peak, then it should never be dripping during the day....

I think these valves also have a 5yr warranty, so if they are dripping, and the valve is under 5yrs old, then take it back to the place you got it from.

Ben

Hi Mark,

Yes I have a QBE

Pardon the ignorance, but in the words of a come back so called politician, could you please explain?

Rixter, am I under cross examination here? I feel your question is loaded and you seem to be beating around the bush.

No, not under cross examination. Thats the down side of web boards I suppose - posts can be read into and interpreted in more than one way.

Do not play with the lever on the pressure valve despite what it says about testing every 6 months, this may cause it to malfunction.

Sorry if you read into it as a personal attack - I was just looking to qualify your above statement made.

Personally I would rather be watching the cricket than typing this.

Is this equivilent to taking you bat & ball and going home? Sorry about the pun but the similarities were too good to resist :eek:

BTW staring into a computer screen for too long can reduce a males IQ by 10

Carrying on with the cricket theme, I think I will let that one go through to the keeper in attempting to interpret it - and I've only just logged on :confused: ;)

Back