House builders in Melbourne

Hi All

After a few searches I have only come up with a few names.
Burbank, Formula Homes, Henley Pioneer Homes in Victoria, now Devine Pioneer.

So can anyone help me with the names of builders in Melbourne, also your experiences good or bad with them, time frame to build etc.

I'm looking at single storey 4x2, double garage, open plan style houses around the 200sqm + size.

Regards

Regrow

Last edited:
Metricon
Simmonds
AV Jennings
NSD Homes
Grollo Homes
National Builders
Porter Davis
Hometec

We used Metricon for our PPOR took about a year from initial deposit to settlement for a single story approx 350sqm house

moneyscope

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have any prices?
Is 12mths build time quick/normal/or slow?

Regards

Regrow

using National builders currently

currently using national builders.

they started building in march. everything such as quotes, contract etc they have done within the timeframes they specified fromt he outset that they would do.

we held them up a bit with council issues on our end and they were pretty good about it. they helped me solve some of my issues which they really didn't need to if they didn't want to.

currently at tiles with them so should be complete soon.

been very happy to date. house we're building is approx 21 squares or so, so similar to the size you are looking at.

PM me if you have more questions

Actual build time was 6 months, it took them 6 months to begin building after initial deposit. Speaking to other people that seems about the norm if you are using a volume builder

Not really sure about prices for a 200sqm house sorry. If it helps our place was 180K before upgrades

Im a mortgage broker employed by a company owned by Burbank Homes. They are quite good value. Im happy to pass on your details to one of their sales sonsultants if you like.

If you want a quality product, bypass the volume builders and go with an independent who has been recommended to you.

Tools

Porter Davis

Hi Regrow,
i have built twice with Porter Davis over the last 4 years and the experience was great both times...i have been working for them for the last 2 years so take my comments as you will, i did committ to building with them before i started working with them though :).

Check out our website porterdavis.com.au and if you want to PM me i would be happy to answer any questions you have...if it helps i am currently helping a couple living in Mt isa build here in Melbourne.

Cheers,
Nathan

We are using Metricon to build a 24 square home (including garage). Single level, 3 bed rooms + study, 2 baths. We were quoted 12 month from start till completion.

As it turns out, the first six months (Dec 06 to Jun 07) were used to prepare building contract, material selection and application for permits. No work on the ground at all (except for soil tests). Metricon will not start work until all contract matters are sorted out, all colour and material selections are locked in. No further change is allowed. (Not even when you want to change a tile colour).

Once starting, work moves fast and efficient. In the four weeks of July, we have excavation work done, drainage & sewer pipes done, foundation done, frame starting to go up.

In term of cost, we have unexpected extra charge (putting in double glazing to meet 5 star energy rating on builders' initiative & $1000 late variation fee while finalising the floor plan). Did not like the fees at all, but we had little choice, take it or leave it.

Metricon staff we are in contact so far, professional and straight to the point. Good for business relation. However their process is so rigid, not good if you are unsure of something & requiring time / research to make up own mind.

For example, we had to lock in kitchen colour & material selection before being allowed to move on with tile selection. Tile selection is a once only appointment, where we were expected to lock in the selection on the day. Second appointment would incur charge & extend completion time.

Would we use them again?

More likely yes. Metricon has some of the best floor plan designs from a volume builder. Their slow & rigid process costs us a little more, but I see it as a premium price for a better & liveable design.

Overall, the cost we pay for this product is still cost effective, comparing to engaging independent designers for a custom design.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Plenty of info to sift through.

natedog... How would I go choosing all colours, tiles etc being in WA?

I want to be able to do everything from here, although this might cause a few headaches.

Regards

Regrow

mum used Formula Homes once, had a problem, not that type of post, they fixed it

a picture window on the west side leaked in the first big rain.
Rang the complaint line, got an answering machine, left message, and prepared to spend the night mopping up.
cartoon angry, lightning bolts from the ears, all the daffy duck tantrum images.
not a half hour later there was a noise outside, two Formula Homes blokes & a ute load of tools had come up the drive from the street at the back, they placed a tarp on a frame against the wall to block the weather, and went to work on the window.
took about an hour, then they waved through the window, packed up n left.
half past ten at night.
Next day a plastering crew removed the gyprock under the window, replaced it with new, that hadnt been wet, the painter come in no sign of a leak.

Thanks for all the replies. Plenty of info to sift through.

natedog... How would I go choosing all colours, tiles etc being in WA?

I want to be able to do everything from here, although this might cause a few headaches.

Regards

Regrow

Hi Regrow,

We just finished building a house in Point Cook with Burbank, which I have posted about elsewhere and they were adamant that we (or another person acting on our behalf) had to attend their office for the colour selection.

However all the selections were done at their office on the one day.

Back