House with very steep internal stairs

Looking at purchasing a property that has had an additional level added on top. Stairs to the upper level are steep, and may not be compliant with current safety standards.
Wondering how to fix this problem if I go ahead with purchase, and if indeed it needs to be fixed.
Could close off the top of the house completely, due to the safety issues, or perhaps install the kind of steps that retract, but can be pulled down from the ceiling - if there is enough room.
Any suggestions?

Possibly spiral may work:

style to consider http://www.spiralstaircase.com.au/index.html

If your handy or know someone who is handy with a welder they are dead easy to make...its all about measurements.

Only decent option I can think of for you.

Also; I think you can buy spiral stairs in kit form once you give the manufacturer the full specs....shop the idea around though, prices will vary heavily Im quite sure.

The big bonus for spiral is that they are space saving.

Cheers

Good advice. Didn't think of spiral. Opens up the options quite a bit as the steps could even be installed in a different part of the room.

Thanks for the link.

It has been suggested that if the issue of the steep steps was detailed on any future lease, and a tenant signs off on the lease that they accept the property in that condition, then the steps could be left as they are.

Not so sure about that one though.

me neither, Id get a building inspector to have a look and detial whether they are within standard, or have council approval, and then b) how much it would cost to get fixed etc, and then use that to make your decision, or use as a bargaining tool in negotiations.

hi
to see if it is standard or not is simple
measure the distance from the floor to the ceiling
then go to a website with ready made stairs cases
they make them in metal
now it will tell you how many risers you need to make the stairs
then just count the number in your stair case
its that simple
its a standard I think its 300mm per riser
if you have to have a landing because it to high they give you that as well
so they will say how many risers and if a landing in needed.
also they are cheap if done this way

It has been suggested that if the issue of the steep steps was detailed on any future lease, and a tenant signs off on the lease that they accept the property in that condition, then the steps could be left as they are.

This won't help you in case there is an accident. After all, it may be a child or a visitor who falls. If the steps are unsafe then you may find your insurance won't cover you.

I suggest you get your building inspector to comment on whether or not the steps meet safety standards. If not, then they will have to be modified or replaced.
Marg

BCA VOlume two Housing provisions Class 1 and 10 Buildings=

Stairs other than spiral.
Riser must be max 190mm min 115
Going max 355 min min 240
With a slope relationship of 2R+G= max 700 min 550

The riser opening must not allow a 125mm sphere to pass through between the treads.

Hope this helps

Big Tone

Looking at purchasing a property that has had an additional level added on top. Stairs to the upper level are steep, and may not be compliant with current safety standards.
Wondering how to fix this problem if I go ahead with purchase, and if indeed it needs to be fixed.
Could close off the top of the house completely, due to the safety issues, or perhaps install the kind of steps that retract, but can be pulled down from the ceiling - if there is enough room.
Any suggestions?

Have you considered an Elevator?
The company I work for can install a two person lift into any type of home for around $25,000
No lift well required and no height above normal ceiling height required.
In fact, our Duet Elevator can be installed in a 800mm x 800mm square space.

http://www.homelift.com.au/Lift-Products/Elevators/duet.htm

BCA VOlume two Housing provisions Class 1 and 10 Buildings=

Stairs other than spiral.
Riser must be max 190mm min 115
Going max 355 min min 240
With a slope relationship of 2R+G= max 700 min 550

The riser opening must not allow a 125mm sphere to pass through between the treads.

Hope this helps

Big Tone

oooooh - i was waiting for this.

pity it's close, but no cigar.

what it fails to mention is that when the step 2r+g goes 900+ it falls out of the realm of "stair" and moves into "ladder" territory.

this may be how they got around the BCA.

The company I work for can install a two person lift into any type of home for around $25,000

get funky in a lift. i didn't know a lift could bring so much joy!

duets04.jpg

get funky in a lift. i didn't know a lift could bring so much joy!

duets04.jpg

Oh, you would be surprised what people do and leave in Lifts. (insert cheeky grin.)

The Duet on a serious note, is a very well designed and safety featured lift.
It's specifically intended for the Home-owner / Renovator.

it would want to be a flash home to spend 25 grand on an elevator........i dont think the poster would be considering that as a viable option...be easier on the pocket toblock the access especially if its a rental..

the poster who said 190mm for the risers is correct, that is standard across aust i believe and is legal.

thats why you should always keep your public liability insurance up to date..you just never know who will sue you these days...a little knowledge can be dangerous with regards to litigation...

Just wondering with Spiral staircases, how do you get furniture up to the next level? I would imagine a queen size mattress would be rather difficult!

Just wondering with Spiral staircases, how do you get furniture up to the next level? I would imagine a queen size mattress would be rather difficult!

I had the exact same thoughts :eek::):)

As far as the lift goes wouldn't you still need stairs. Just in case the lift broke down or there was a fire or something like that.

it would want to be a flash home to spend 25 grand on an elevator........i dont think the poster would be considering that as a viable option...be easier on the pocket toblock the access especially if its a rental..

the poster who said 190mm for the risers is correct, that is standard across aust i believe and is legal.

Really!!!
Well my Mother inlaw has one, and she lives in Bidwill 2770
Sometimes it's not always just about money, she can't handle the stairs any longer with bad knees.
I think for any type of two level home an Elevator would have a great added value appreciation. Rental or overwise.

for an incapacitated person or an older person its fair enough to run with a lift but as for added value when you sold, wont add a cent in my opinion..........in fact i think it may detract at times depending on the purchasers requirements. certainly is not a value added item that will guarantee an increase in the price of a home when selling. all smoke and mirrors stuff life this.

the thread is about a rental so best to keep on topic.

that's a MAXIMUM height as long as 2(190) + the tread depth = between 550-700.

otherwise it could be lower depending on your tread depth.

ie a 300 going and a 190 riser = 2(190) + 300 = 680 - so RIGHT on the limit for a stair.

but if your going was only 200 then 2(190) + 200 = 580 - again right on the limit.

generally tread/going is around 250-270 with a 170-180 riser. if you cant the going back about 2º, it changes the feel of the stair and is easier to transcend.

Lots of good information. Thanks. Can check with those measurements on next inspection.

...a little knowledge can be dangerous with regards to litigation...

Do you mean that if you 'advised' the tenants about the steep steps, that with 'a little knowledge' such as this they might even be more inclined to sue if something happened?
In either case, don't know if public liability would cover you if they suffered an injury because of the steps.

Recent court decision about repairs not made to current safety standards meant the court found in favour of the tenant, but not clear if the insurance company covered the landlord.

From Domain:

NSW court decision property safety $840,000 awarded tenant

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...vestors-and-rental-agents-20100922-15m7i.html

Back