How do I disable IE in XP?

Actually, talking about backup programs. I have used Ghost and Drive Image but I have now found Acronis True Image I wouldn't go back. Beautiful piece of software I reckon! I use a 160GB USB portable hard drive, True Image will image the drive from within Windows (even open files it claims), but I still prefer to do it raw from the boot CD. And the boot CD is excellent!

Jas said:
So, I'm back to testing on my machine.

Jas, you should consider buying a copy of VMWare Workstation - allows you to set up a virtual machine which works exactly the same way a physical machine would, with the benefit of being able to roll-back changes at any time, or test on multiple operating systems (at once !), it's really cool.

We live on this software at work - all our demo environments, class labs, and testing facilities are set up in VMware. We couldn't do our job anywhere near as effectively without it.

I spend most of my monthly ADSL download quota acquiring VMware images from other people at work :D

VMware is cheap these days too - US$189 ... much cheaper than running dozens of 2.5" laptop drives like we used to.

Re a need for second hdd in notebooks for data, here's how my laptop is set up.

I have a main working OS partition, that is used for testing new software as well. It eventually becomes dirty and is replaced.
A second backup OS partition which is used to replace the main OS partition when it gets dirty. This partition is updated when new progs are added, tested, and proven stable.
A third OS partition in case the second becomes unstable.

A lot of people might think this is overkill, but i hate reformatting and starting from scratch. Program tweaks, personalizations, patches, and OS updates can chew up weekends and Gigabytes of download.

As I said earlier, I haven't reinstalled in 2 years.

I use a partition manager called Bootit for all this. It allows me to boot into either of the three OSs and is a good partition copier and imager. The data is common to all as it is on a separate partition, even email, favs, IE history etc.

Every so often I copy the OS partition onto an external notebook drive via USB2 port and hdd case.

Data is kept on its own partition. Critical files are scheduled for backup to internet once a day, and onto local hdd backup partition twice a day.
Once a month I copy the data partition onto external drive and archive onto cd probably every 2-3 months.

Re keeping a partition clean, i use kerio or ZAP, adaware, NAV, and a reg cleaner like JV16 powertools.

It does sound like overkill to me. I'd much rather spend a weekend a couple of times a year than have to install everything twice and try and maintain multiple partitions in a complex set up like that (and you can do other useful stuff like cleaning the bathroom while drives are formatting / software installing / patches downloading etc :rolleyes: ).

But that's just my preference - keep it simple. It your set up works for you, then that's cool !

Oh, and reformatting and starting again is much easier when you have:

1. A second computer with oodles of drive space
2. A gigabit ethernet network between the computers
3. A high speed ADSL connection with generous download allowances
4. A systematic way of storing details such as installation keys, passwords, and configuration information

:D

Sim, I agree it sounds time consuming and complicated. However, it isn't time consuming. Most of the partition operations are one or two clicks before going to bed or off for dinner. The data backup is also auto scheduled except for external copying.

The initial setup of OSs requires some knowledge about multibooting, but it is very common amongst geeks who don't run Linux.

I also think multibooting setups are the only way to go when a family shares a puter. Let the kids have their own OS partition and trash it, but password protect Dad's.

Nevertheless, as you say, it is personal preference.

Hi all.

I promised Sim I would never post to somersoft again however he hasnt answered my personal message yet so I think I'll try and sneak one more in (extremely reluctantly and with sincere guilt and only due to the fact that the subject at hand is very relevant to my recent experience).

Everything sim says in the previous posts is correct. I have found out the hard way with corrupt windows files resulting in the need to fully format over the last few weeks. Re-installing windows over the top actually made things worse.

Since the new install the computer runs great - in fact better than new - but nothing works anymore when it comes to transferring from the D (formally C) drive (program and data wise).

I am extremely computer illiterate and its all too hard but fortunately I installed a cd burner (yes cd not dvd) 2 months ago and despite never backing up in 5 years i did back up family photos and data files recently. Thank god!

To give you an idea about how dumb I am with a computer- with the new install all 4 speakers now make noise rather than just 1 plus subbie. The computer boots up in 30 seconds rather than 3 minutes. The other drive is reading again and the TV card is also working reliably. No hardware repairs. All software related. Speed is dramatically faster. Almost unbelievably so. An incredible improvement despite the fact that I am normally very good with defrag, disk clean, adaware, norton utilities, zone alarm and other stuff that made me think I was keeping everything clean and pure.

Take it from me- if you know nothing about computers (affects only 10% of somersoft regulars) then fully format hard drive at least once a year to get rid of all the crap AFTER learning how to back up everything to removable disk- NOT internal harddisk.

Thankyou to everyone for helping me achieve what I have achieved over the last few years. Thanks to my interest in property my family is in a very good position to weather the upcoming unemployment storm that will soon consume me (24 years employed but only 2 different jobs- still under 40 yrs old). Far better off than most of my fellow workmates who are not financially set.

I couldnt have done it without reading Jans first book as well as all YOUR advise and wisdom and I will be eternally gratefull. Thankyou all.

Promise me that in future YOU will go out of your way to encourage ALL VIEWS and OPINIONS on Somersoft. Dont let analytical and academic discussion - nor dominant personalities - confuse good old common sense.

Trust me- from my perspective the majority of people that I know who have bought an investment property in the last year understand nothing about even the basics of investing. Newbies (the future of this forum) deserve better than that- dont let anyone try and scare them away.

Good by and Good luck.

superted said:
LoL..Format every three months.

Why would you do that if you dont install that nasty freeware.

Seriously if you are that paranoid then may i suggest running an image program like Ghost it will save you lots of time. Infact if your real keen to format you could run it every night.

Ted,

From start to finish, it takes me 45 min to format and reinstall everything. As Sim said, it keeps my PC lean,

cheers,

GG

Gordon Gekko said:
Ted,

From start to finish, it takes me 45 min to format and reinstall everything. As Sim said, it keeps my PC lean,

cheers,

GG

Gordon, does that include updates and patches (XPP, Office XP, antivirus, etc), setting up software firewalls, security keys, and personalizations?

thefirstbruce said:
Gordon, does that include updates and patches (XPP, Office XP, antivirus, etc), setting up software firewalls, security keys, and personalizations?

Yeap, that is everything. After doing it for the past 5 or 6 years, you get good at it. Having broadband heaps too. :)

And when i am finished, i put my kids photo back onto the desk top.

GG

You must have a small hard drive GG - takes me 3 hours just to format mine :D

(I never do quick formats, and I have very large drives)

My system is beyond repair. I have run all these programs and brought the MS patches up to date, but the moment I try IE I get a promotional video for the Paris Hilton. I have no intention of going to Paris!

I go months without loading anything new and even on this old HDD I've only used 5gig of space with most of that being photos I'd guess. So what do I need?

A boot/partition/back-up manager........ What's the best?
Do I need partitions anyway if I'm dilligent in keeping all data in My Docs?
My only critical programs are Quicken and my spread-sheet. Should they be kept seperate from my web browser?
I'll set up Kerio and I'm using Norton's 2003 Pro.

Anything else?

Thommo

Thommo, did you reset your home page to what it was before? Even if you cleared all the crap off your puter, you'd still need to do that.

There has been good advice here about staying clean. To reiterate, install a firewall (may as well be Kerio), then use adaware (get the updates), and spybot, and NAV.

Why are programs free???

Hi All,

Why are these spybots, adaware....etc free?? Nothing is free. They want you to install their programs, so they can install other programs at the same time, without you knowing.

That is my opinion. All programs on my computer i have paid for, hoping this and formatting every 3 months or so, will keep my system clean :)

GG

GG - don't discount "open source" software (which is often, but not always, free). With it being open source, and you having the option to examine the code and/or compile it yourself from source, you know exactly what the program does (or at least, you can be sure someone else has checked it out thoroughly - particularly the popular programs).

I, like you, generally only put software I have paid for on my computers, but I do run some select software that was, in fact, free. OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Mozilla Firefox are three such examples.

Gordon Gekko said:
Why are these spybots, adaware....etc free?? Nothing is free.
As well as open source and FSF software being free for the principle of it, some commercial software also have free versions, usually with limited but useful features.

The intention there is to get you used to the limited functionality software and then hopefully, once you like it, you'll buy the full version to get all the extra features.

And it does work. For example, numerous people have bought the full version of the ZoneAlarm firewall after having used the free version - myself included, although I use the free version as well. Of course far more people would probably just continue to use the free version, but they'd probably never have bought the other version anyway. And if it's good software, they're likely to spread the word that it's good, prompting other people to try it and possibly buy the full version. Kinda like free advertising.

GP

Back