How do I get the best result out of my PM?

We've bought our first rental property and are keen to get it rented out, not only as quickly as possible but to a tenant who is not going to wreck the place.

Trouble is the PM where is are are pretty slack. We have one prospective tenant at the moment but who are a young couple with 1 child and one very close on the way. Trouble is she put the application under her name (and has no rental history) and says that her partner does not have any history either. However finding out info about the partner is a little difficult. Apparently he lost his wallet and ID (ummm suss) and was previously living with his parents.

What should I do.

The REA is checking both there names on the rental register. Has rung her previous place of work.

Should I look for another tennant or should I force the REA to get more info.

Rentals are a little soft in winter and has gone from being a tight market 4 months ago to being a surplus at the moment. What should I do??

I think Islandgirl that you already know instinctively what to do in this situation. The prospective tenants are giving you no reason at all to confidently select them......quite the opposite! A bad tenant is far far worse than no tenant at all.

I think if you selected this tenant you would be doing so out of fear. Fear that you might not get another applicant. I don't think that fear is the best motivation to make a decision.

Before you select a tenant both the tenant and the PM must demonstrate clearly why they would be a good choice.

Go with your gut and common sense with this one! :eek:

Huge red flag with the lost ID.

Not good enough until you can check out their history with some degree of certainty I would say.

Trouble is she put the application under her name (and has no rental history) and says that her partner does not have any history either. However finding out info about the partner is a little difficult. Apparently he lost his wallet and ID (ummm suss) and was previously living with his parents.
Maybe start with a new PM,if they are slack now what it going to be like
in three months when the walls are kicked in,the plumbing jamed and
your sitting on the sidelines waiting for your problem to move out,
Lets face it everybody has history,if :rolleyes: i can check or the people that
i employ can find their history back to day one then why can't the Pm
do the same,listen to what the others have said,experience does
not lie...BTW what area is this property in?..
good luck willair..

Thanks all. I guess that was the way I was heading and just needed reassurance that I was on the right track. Will tell the PM to pull there socks up and make sure they do proper checks.

Back