How do random REA's find out LL contact details??

Got one of those pushy letters today where a random Real Estate Agency is telling me that they notice my property has been listed for Rent for a couple of weeks - telling me how much rent I am missing out on over weeks vacant etc, and trying to get me to move across to them. How do they get my contact details? I am sure the PO Box I am using now was not what I had when I bought this property. Do they have to pay to look me up at Land Titles??

This letter has given a few people a bit of a laugh this afternoon....it became a 'spot the errors' game for some! For starters, the property they list is not mine (not even same suburb), and my rent comes in less than 2/3 the amount they quote (that's not that funny for me I guess - wish it was mine!). They spelt my first name wrong in the salutation, there are multiple spelling errors in the text, they have repeated the exact same sequence of words twice in the same sentence and it has capitals, etc mid-sentence among many other things. I don't think the Business Development Manager who personally signed the letter proofed what admin had typed up before doing so! Really professional stuff - and this was what they sent me to try and get me to move my business to them. Apparently the Agency has rented 29 properties in the time mine has been on the rental market....makes me wonder if that is the 2 weeks it has been listed this time, or the 3+ years it has been rented out for! :rolleyes: Either way, it may explain a lot...all I can say is, thank you ** Real Estate for a really good laugh.... and next time I change PM's you have saved me some time by easily eliminating another one of the options I may have considered. :)

Yes, highly likely from RP Data which is highly illegal based on the Privacy Act. The legislation regarding direct mail is clear but often not followed and rarely sees a conviction.

as illegal as that may be, proving that they are using RP data would be a different thing.

I thought it was illegal to call especially if it has "do not call..." in red but sending a letter?????????:confused:
I myself receive letters all the time.........

Most likely it's straight from RPdata, especially if it's a PO box, phone the business owner and ask how they found your address and wait for their answer :)

I am sure the PO Box I am using now was not what I had when I bought this property. Do they have to pay to look me up at Land Titles??

The info comes from RP Data. It is not illegal to send somebody information via mail.Calling someone another matter, but there's nothing wrong with sending a letter.

We don't send direct marketing like the one you got, but many agencies in Brisbane do (I know, because my office address is the c/- address for many owners on the database). It's funny when Agency X sends a letter detailing all the things that are wrong with my marketing, and they address it to me :)

Usually the RP Data information is out of date when we do need it. The names are always correct but the addresses and phone numbers are usually no good.

RP data provides information that is publicly available (for a fee). It provides your address at the time of purchase or latest update to the land titles office, as well as your phone number if that's available. Your phone number appears in red if you are on the DNC Register.

Also, the Brisbane City Council will give you the postal address for any property owner in their jurisdiction. I regularly contact my owners' next door neighbours about fences/trees etc via this method.

Matt

The info comes from RP Data. It is not illegal to send somebody information via mail.Calling someone another matter, but there's nothing wrong with sending a letter.

Is this still the case? I've had a few letters in the past week because property has been listed 7 weeks, but today I had a phone call on my mobile number - and I don't know how they would have got that - it isn't listed and I don't recall phone numbers being involved when I bought the place? I missed the call and they've actually left a message saying who they were and for me to call them back, but didn't say what for. I'm guessing it's like the letters? What other reason would there be, I've never had anything to do with them...

Back