How do they do it so Cheap?

Owner (O) has block of land of 7000 sq. m in a regional town of population 16,000.
Asking price of land is $295K.
According to agent, O is not in a hurry to sell, and would allow me - time to investigate development costs before sale.
At this point I'm thinking : option!
And then, Vendor Finance!.
O has expired council permit to subdivide block into 10 lots.
Regaining permission appears to be a formality.
I offered Owner $500 for an 18 month option at $295K + 5% of profit on development (around $8K in total).
Still waiting to hear back.

The value of the land is difficult to gauge. I first thought it was a good deal, but recently I discovered that Hickinbotham is offering a house and land package on 500 sq m for $221K. It's 4 bed, 2 bath and 2 lockup, 204sq m.
So to compete with that and still make a profit I'd want to be able to offer a better design for the same price.
I haven't checked out the cost of building a 204 sq m house, but it's got to be at least $150K.
So that makes their land worth $50K max.
On the block I'm looking at, my rough estimate of subdivision costs is $185K.
I want to build 10 New Age homes for a market where the competition is selling at $221K
So, land cost would be $295K + $185K = $480K = $48K per lot.
House construction cost, at $1100 per sq. m, would be 204 X $1100 = $224,400, say $225K.
Total cost of house and land package is therefore $225K + $48K = $261K.
So my cost is $40K above Hickinbotham's selling price!
Either they got their land really cheap, or the Owner of the block I'm looking at wants too much, or building is cheaper than I thought.
Anyway, the reason it's been on the market for 2 years is probably because Owner is asking too much.
There's a lot to do in the subdivision. Council wants a road with kerbs and guttering, etc, etc.
O well, even if it doesn't go through, at least I made an offer. If Agent says Owner can live with the terms there's still time to explore further before I'm committed to anything. And even then, the commitment would only be $500 + my time.
But I'll certainly contact Hickinbotham and ask if they can build New Age houses for me when I find some appropriately priced land.

I discovered that Hickinbotham is offering a house and land package on 500 sq m for $221K. It's 4 bed, 2 bath and 2 lockup, 204sq m.
House construction cost, at $1100 per sq. m, would be 204 X $1100 = $224,400, say $225K.

You have a problem even if your land was free!!! construction costs are already higher then competitor selling costs!

are you sure it includes land?

But I'll certainly contact Hickinbotham and ask if they can build New Age houses for me when I find some appropriately priced land.

I would be contacting them prior to ascertain ball park pricing for this style of property?

building sustainably with natural, non-toxic materials suitable to the local climatic conditions. This includes using materials such as wood, brick, rammed earth and adobe, as well as natural finishes such as clay stucco, marble, ceramic tile, natural fiber for carpets, curtains and furniture, and healthy, natural, non-toxic paints and glues.

Vedic (New Age) homes are not built near harmful electro-magnetic fields caused by such things as high-tension lines and microwave towers. Special precautions are taken, including shielding of all electrical wiring, in order to ensure that electro-magnetic fields are not propagated within the home. Ideally, all materials and appliances in Maharishi Vastus should be pure and healthy.

Increasing numbers of Fortune-Creating homes are being constructed with environmentally friendly, sustainable technologies, which more completely align the buildings with Natural Law. This includes growing numbers of buildings with small or zero carbon footprints. They use such technologies as solar hot water, photovoltaic electrical power, geothermal, daylighting and rainwater catchment.

Source

I would be contacting them prior to ascertain ball park pricing for this style of property?
/QUOTE]

Absolutely.
Their design and orientation wouldn't cost much to change, but using materials such as these
"building sustainably with natural, non-toxic materials suitable to the local climatic conditions. This includes using materials such as wood, brick, rammed earth and adobe, as well as natural finishes such as clay stucco, marble, ceramic tile, natural fiber for carpets, curtains and furniture, and healthy, natural, non-toxic paints and glues. "​
would be bound to add to the cost.
My challenge is to present a home that's superior in every way (except size maybe) at a price that the locals can afford.

Only 166sqm internal living area, not that amazing. After the usual upgrades/footings allowance blowouts it may come up 10k.

Adelaide is cheap to build full stop, combine that with some of the cheapest land around to build on, what more can you expect. :)

I would be very cautious when dealing with land developments in regional areas. First and foremost they have a smaller pool of potential purchasers which inherently means that stock takes longer to sell. The fact that this property has been listed on the market should give a fairly good indication of the depth of the market.

As a valuer, I have seen plenty of building contracts across all builders in Adelaide and can honestly say that once all the variations and post-contract works are added in, you won't have much change out of $1,100sqm on a fully established basis. They probably don't mention that there is a regional surcharge for building in the ad?

It would be worth checking with Council for their conditions surrounding the road construction. Civil works in englobo sites add $30-$50k per allotment due to sewer and water extension, however given the regional location you might not even have sewer available?

Given it's a ten lot subdivision, you would want to double check your finance options as most banks will consider you a commercial developer and LVRs will drop drastically if you try to borrow against the gross realisation value of all ten lots. You will also be considered a developer by the ATO so factor GST into your calculations, and as you will be a developer there is no CGT concession.

Very wise words, Derek, and I thank you for them.
I had sort of come to the same conclusion myself, but it's good to hear my thoughts echoed by someone with your experience.
You're right. There would probably be a lot of time between the first sale and the last in the Murray Bridge area.

Back