How do you normally pay a painter?

Hi all, my mum wants to get the entire inside of her house painted and is about to request quotes. One thing we are unsure of is whether you normally pay up front, or with progress payments etc?
We are a little worried about giving a full payment or a large down-payment then the tradie not turning up!

Never pay upfront.

When they show up and start painting I don't mind paying for the paint and a bit as the job is done. Never hand over the full amount till job is complete. U will never see them again

On the radio they are adverstising some supply and apply mob all the time...

They supply the paint and the painter, and you get your house painted. Its a whole new way to paint they say!

Sounds like how every paint job for the last century or so has been run, but who am I to argue with the marketing genius they have employed.

On the radio they are adverstising some supply and apply mob all the time...

They supply the paint and the painter, and you get your house painted. Its a whole new way to paint they say!

Sounds like how every paint job for the last century or so has been run, but who am I to argue with the marketing genius they have employed.

Looks like with this mob, it's a paint manufacturer ( Ω) now supplying painters :confused:

Hi all, my mum wants to get the entire inside of her house painted and is about to request quotes. One thing we are unsure of is whether you normally pay up front, or with progress payments etc?
We are a little worried about giving a full payment or a large down-payment then the tradie not turning up!

You supply paint and materials (cant bring em on a plane either direction so you keep it all) and the plane fares from Adelaide and back and I will do it for $2800 no matter how long it takes but I sleep there while I do it !

eden

You supply paint and materials (cant bring em on a plane either direction so you keep it all) and the plane fares from Adelaide and back and I will do it for $2800 no matter how long it takes but I sleep there while I do it !

eden

How much paint and materials do you think would be required for a 3x2 newly built home (internal walls are brick with plaster on them, never been painted so prep is needed).

Get a couple of quotes and go from there,make sure you dictate exactly what you want,paint quality etc.
20% at the end of the first day,this is usually when they buy the paint so money needs to change hands around this time.
If the job takes longer than a week,a progress payment equal to the amount of work they have completed at the end of the week.
Full payment at end of job when you are satisfied.
Don't hold out or stall on that first payment,they will think you don't have the money and treat you cautiously.

Back