How do you stop Dogs digging holes

Hi Guys

Some lovely stories here.

Our dog, Ozzy, is an 8mth old fox terrior.

He digs holes sometimes but he does love to chew things.

Anyway yesterday our daughter who was not feeling very well was getting a Panadol tablet from my wife.
Before our daughter could swallow the tablet Ozzy grabbed it and swallowed it.

My very concerned wife rang the vet and the dog ultimately spent the day at the vets.

The vet pumped out his stomach and found bits of fabric, plastic, tin foil and bits of wood.

The dog survived and is now at present asleep on the bed of our daughter.

Regards

Hi Guys

Some lovely stories here.

Our dog, Ozzy, is an 8mth old fox terrior.

He digs holes sometimes but he does love to chew things.

Anyway yesterday our daughter who was not feeling very well was getting a Panadol tablet from my wife.
Before our daughter could swallow the tablet Ozzy grabbed it and swallowed it.

My very concerned wife rang the vet and the dog ultimately spent the day at the vets.

The vet pumped out his stomach and found bits of fabric, plastic, tin foil and bits of wood.

The dog survived and is now at present asleep on the bed of our daughter.

Regards

I believe in if you're dog does the wrong thing give it a bit of a flogging (NOT A BEATING). After awhile they understand...........................or a bullet!!!

ps before anyone has a dig at me I have 2 dogs that I don't need to discipline because they don't do anything wrong it took a year of training though.

If I ever have to have a dog put down, I use a trained vet and not a bullet. Bullets can miss the vital spot and it is a terrible thing all round.

If you are responsible enough to own a dog, then it follows you should be responsible for appropriate care until the end. A dog usually lives from 10 to 15 yrs. You need to understand this when looking at that cute little puppy in the petshop.

As for digging holes, many breeds do not dig holes, or at least not very big ones.:D

Kingchevy - sometimes all the training in the world doesn't solve the problem. Our lab went through all the training to the top level and in most respects, was very obedient. For example, Labs absolutely love food but he would not start on his dinner until given the OK - he would sometimes be quivering with anticipation.

BUT he still would dig holes despite all the discipline (he actually looked guilty as soon as we spotted him if he'd done something wrong). I do believe it may have been because it was a lot cooler in the garden where he used to dig.

Anyway, I don't have any more holes now - but I'd rather have my Charlie back!

Cheers
Shirley

I agree with Shirley - some Labradors will dig and dig and dig, no matter how much 'discouragement' is given. Every time we moved house, our old bloke, Ned, always used to dig a big hole in the coolest spot he could find. If we filled it in, he dug another one somewhere else. Ned's owners eventually became well-trained enough to stop filling in holes, and - after his 'cool hole' he didn't dig any more. As long as he had a cool spot, he was happy! Sadly, he went to doggy heaven many years ago.

Our daughter bought her Lab, Charlie, about 3 years ago - we were relieved to find that he wasn't a "digger" like Ned. Instead, he turned out to be a "chewer"!!! And I mean he chewed everything in sight! One thing is for sure with a Lab - they do the 'guilty' look very well.

Cheers
LynnH

Just an update, my Westie is still digging holes but what a beauty, all is forgiven we adore our little doggie which has given our family such joy.

PS
We are now moving to our new home, cottage gardens, this should be interesting. LOL

MTR,

I really feel for you I went through the same thing. Bought a new PPOR with a perfect lawn and thought what would go good out here? ahh 2 Rhodesian ridge backs. By the time they were 1 the back yard was nothing but dirt and mud, the poo and chili thing didn't work as they dug in a different spot every time and they had way more energy than me so no matter how many times I took them for walks they still had energy to dig.

The only thing I found that worked somewhat was supplying them with other things to destroy. They seemed to like ripping my clothes of the line, attacking the pool pump and hoses, ripping up their mats, one time I left the laundry door open for them and they loved ripping the lounge to bits, chewing on the mudflaps of my car, tearing the vines down, knocking the bin over and eating whatever they could, and chewing the glass on the sliding door. My father in law thought he would give them some entertainment and parked his trailer in the back yard so they could rip all the wiring off it.

But even with all this stimulation they still found the time to dig, in the end I replanted my lawn and got an electric fence. I tried a chicken wire fence first but they either broke it down or jumped over it. The electric fence had a gate which I opened whenever I was around to watch them and closed when out or asleep. They had a small side garden they could poo in and plenty of cement they could try to dig up.

And for all the animal lovers out there don't worry they only got zapped once and learnt their lesson, I on the other hand got zapped about a hundred times.

Cheers Pablo.

Back