How far to push

Hi all,

Have you ever tried and tried to get something or start something only to have many set backs? How do you know when to give up and realise it's not meant to be? I have found sometimes with investing and life it's best to do nothing, as sometimes there is something better around the corner. I guess there is a fine balance between giving up and feeling lazy for doing nothing or flogging a dead horse and wasting time!!

I have always been the type of person to never give up but maybe sometimes that is just silly at certain times of your life!

When have you given up and something better has come along (investing or life)? Or when do you know it is time to give up and just be happy with the assets/income/life you have?

Interesting question tarah.

I have often wondered myself as to where the fine line is between steely resolve, and beating a dead horse.

Unfortunately, there is no real answer in my opinion.

Anyone who has been through this, if they were really honest with themselves, would admit that if they were successful after long periods of interruptions and setbacks, that there was an element of luck that got them over the line.

Some may disagree...:cool:

Boods

Hi all,

Have you ever tried and tried to get something or start something only to have many set backs? How do you know when to give up and realise it's not meant to be? I have found sometimes with investing and life it's best to do nothing, as sometimes there is something better around the corner. I guess there is a fine balance between giving up and feeling lazy for doing nothing or flogging a dead horse and wasting time!!

I have always been the type of person to never give up but maybe sometimes that is just silly at certain times of your life!

When have you given up and something better has come along (investing or life)? Or when do you know it is time to give up and just be happy with the assets/income/life you have?

Care to elaborate Tarah? You might get some better advice.

Is it easier to push than pull? Or, pull than push?

Doesn't this get into realms of vertical components...ups and downs?

I believe I have started with the end goal in mind, that is financial security, the independence that brings-'to me' and will pursue that.

I think along that quest? seeking to achieve that goal 'lots of stuff can happen'. That can affect our outlook on life, our goals-everything.

I'm not sure what challenges, (if any) you are facing, but I hope it all works out okay mate, sometimes a huge deep breath and time out can work wonders, sometimes it just helps to talk and share, but it is up to you...

Personally I haven't felt any need or twinges to not push or pull, but sometimes I do just climb over or go around it. Sometimes I give it a big kick in the guts and stub my toe, than forget what it was I was doing.

Take care.

Or when do you know it is time to give up and just be happy with the assets/income/life you have?

I think that if you are not so attached to the result then it doesn't really matter. It's the journey that counts. Every experience can help us develop into wiser people and this includes developing determination to overcome obstacles and seemingly negative situations. Have goals that benefit both yourself and others. Be content with what you have and any improvement will become a bonus. Learn to let go without giving up (easy to say all this but difficult for most to achieve!)

All the best, :)

Thanks all. I just kept coming up against walls with Westpac. I've been trying to get top ups on a few loans with Westpac so that I can start doing some projects and trading properties in the near future to increase cash. Never had any probs with banks in the past so it sucks to be told no! Oh well, perhaps it's time for another refinance!

Never had any probs with banks in the past so it sucks to be told no!

G'day Tarah,

Well you're not Robinson Crusoe when it comes to being told no by Banks at the moment !! They are clamping right down as you know, and without something special when it comes to income, the answer is an automatic no....then you have to work it.

Keep going mate, working, scheming, trying different things. You've got a decent support network there in Adelaide to lean on. Have another get together and work thru the different techniques to roll with the punches.

You'll get there Tarah - you seem like a determined, focussed lady. Good luck.

Hi all,

Whether to give up depends on the goal you have set and its relative importance. After a determined effort I grudgingly admitted defeat trying to buy a bottle of white after 7.00pm on a Sunday night in my neighbourhood a few weeks ago. My life is currently no poorer.

My failure was in not setting appropriate goals given (time) resources. If I had organized myself ealier it would have been easily achievable- no consolation when the bottleshop is shut.

My continuing search for replacement premises to run my office from continues and will do so as my business has such a big impact on all areas of my life. Much wasted energy but the search will continue inexorably.....

Good luck.

I agree with you Rockstar. The best thing to do is to make a goal and let it go in a sense. You tend to get the things you weren't really expecting or that fussed about! It's just hard seeing friends move forward while you feel nothing is falling into place for you. I guess I just need to feel productive at all times. I hate to waste time!

Thanks Dazz, yes very lucky to have a good network in Adelaide. Have always had the "there's always a way" mentality but it seems that doesn't cut it at the moment. Just want to able to keep the IPs I have and trade other IPs for cash. Very frustrating when you're trying to improve your situation and it feels like some external force is saying bugger you you can wait!!

Haha cu@thetop, pity about missing out on the wine!

My main goal is to own and live in a home on the esplanade and of course financial freedom! I have daydreamed about owning an esplanade home since I was a kid so I am quite attached to this goal but am aware this could take a while. I don't think having only B&H IPs are going to get me there so I need to do some projects.

Hope you find a new site for your business soon. Good luck :)

Back