How many forum members are giving forum PMs their business?

So far have used four (I think)

Russell Peter for PM in Brisbane (far better than our previous one)
Rolf as lender (yet to do a deal but given we approached saying we're not yet ready for next step but how can we optimise to be in 12 months he's been fantastic - especially given the long pay back period and complications with this one)
GeoffW as catering for a few of our events in Canberra (we need you back! especially as the new one stuffed it up royally)
And depreciator for dep schedule (amazing job again)

Really really hoping we get a good prop manager from Canberra on here - not impressed with our one down there but seems best of a crap bunch (Weston creek so the positive northside ones don't apply)

I used someone who doesn't post

I recall doing a Somersoft search, and found Veitch Real Estate as a recommendation, in Seaford.

He does what he says, and he says what he does,
What a pleasure!

GeoffW as catering for a few of our events in Canberra (we need you back! especially as the new one stuffed it up royally)
That's a big pity. Unfortunately though mistakes can be made, and we've made a few in our time. There's a couple of the really good staff members at Dickson- Daniel or Erin should be able to do the right thing.

I've had a few people come over to me for management through the forum and recommendations from the forum. Had more discussions with people out of the area who need a bit of VIC residential advice. Happy to help where I can and why not take advantage of the free advice (as lil Skater mentioned earlier!). Although area specific I am (un?) fortunate enough to have worked in Frankston area for a few years giving me a lot of experience with some of the more horrid sides of the job so advice with this is freely given :). I've had a few properties that I've only managed for a few weeks to get difficult tenants out so the property could be sold and the owner was just too overwhelmed with it all.

I've actually found tenants from the forum in the past and also used the services of people on the forum!! I think it's a great way to find people. Why fix what isn't broken though? If I'm looking for someone from a certain profession this is the first place I'll look!!

I agree that words are cheap and easy. Having gone through a few tenants in 7 years, we finally decided to change PMs this year. Found him through Somersoft. Did a home visit and chatted about his company and how happy we would be.

7 months down the track and I've got a long list of emails where: specific questions haven't been answered, they got the water usage wrong (billed us, tenant hadn't repaid so I queried shouldn't tenant be in arrears by now), terrible terrible application reference check written up ....

Everything which I think they should have done right I have CCd to the owner but hardly get a peep out of him. He just leaves the running of the PM to the staff who aren't very competent.

BTW, when a tenant moves out, you would expect that the bond inspection is done almost immediately. But what about the Property Condition Report for the next tenant? When our old tenants vacated 7 Aug, we were in there for the next few weeks painting, getting the carpets replaced, pruning, weeding etc while the place was advertised for rent.

I asked to see the PCR recently (they said they don't normally send it out to owners) as new tenants had signed on 27 Aug. We had carpets replaced around 22 Aug. So the PCR didn't include the new carpets. PM said that PCR done on 9 Aug and then was updated a few times after that. But they had photos of the new carpets.

Wouldn't you expect the PCR to be done just prior to new tenants moving in?

I don't want to micromanage but it looks like I have to. This mob is NOR Perth and the property is SOR, thought they would have had some contacts and tradies down south but it doesn't look like it either.

Am I expecting too much??

I have heard while networking with Brisbane investors good stories about longterm Brisbane PM's on Somersoft. I'm pretty sure Jarrod was one! ^

How many forum members are PMs ?

I can think of at least a few....

Mattysavager (I think that's his username)
Sez
Russell Peter
Scott No Mates (? Commercial)
Belu (Not PM but owns REA in Bendigo)
Goofy (hasn't been around lately)

I'm missing a number there, but can't think of them right now!

I can think of at least a few....

Mattysavager (I think that's his username)
Sez
Russell Peter
Scott No Mates (? Commercial)
Belu (Not PM but owns REA in Bendigo)
Goofy (hasn't been around lately)

I'm missing a number there, but can't think of them right now!

Missing Lil Skater:D

And then there's Nathan, who isn't a PM, but has a PM Business.

Personally, if I wasn't happy with my PM, and there was a forum PM available, especially if they are personally involved with the management, then that is who I would get to look after my properties.

Being here, on the forum gives you a little insight into what kind of manager they would be too, something you don't get when you go interview them.

Personally I haven't picked up business, that's okay.

I have given my number to a few forum members over the years, some have called and made use of the free advice, others haven't.

As Jenni said, being in property management is an area specific business; my area is metro Melbourne. So whilst I can give advice to those all around Victoria, managing a property out in a regional area isn't practical for me or any clients.

I'm happy contributing whether I get business or not - I've been doing it for years! - and will continue to do so :)

Sorry to distract from the topic but I remember when your mum and dad just used to mention bits and pieces you used to say. Before you even became a member. Now you have your own business!! Where have the years gone?? Well done Lil Skater

Last edited:
Hi Guys...my two bobs worth...

Im new to the forum and am absolutely hooked!! I cant stop reading!

Anyway my PI journey is just beginning and after speaking to people from Destiny, PRE, binvested etc I thought it best to go it alone and leverage the forum, so I am utilising Rolf for finance and will be talking to other people on here as the need arises.

I certainly think a list of members (who have earned their stripes) and their services would be a welcomed addition to the site.

Anyway thats just my opinion and im new here but its nice to finally be able to contribute to a post!! :D

Sorry to distract from the topic but I remember when your mum and dad just used to mention bits and pieces you used to say. Before you even became a member. Now you have your own business!! Where have the years gone?? Well done Lil Skater

Thanks Petal!

It's getting close to 10 years now that I've been around!

I remember those days well. I also notice you edited to mention that Lil became a member one month before you. Well......she was around way before then, sitting on my lap reading my posts. Then, when she got bold enough, when my back was turned, posting as me.:eek: She was strongly encouraged to create her own account. She did, and the rest is history.

When she first started work as a PM, her bosses quickly learned that she knew way more than some of their staff that had been working in the industry for several years. So much so, that when she left her last employment, they repeatedly asked her back. Part-time, casual, anything that she could give them. Even going so far as allowing her to bring her child into the workplace, having someone else watch him, so that she could get on & do what she did best.

Back