How many sets of keys?

Hi all,

As a landlord, if you lease your property out to 3 adults whom are all on the lease agreement, are you required to provide 3 sets of keys? Or is it up to the Tennant to organise getting copies.

Note: This is in Victoria.

Thanks

Sean

One set, tenant copies the rest if they want. There's nothing in the legislation that says you must provide a set of keys to each adult on the lease.

They're $2.50 each at Bunnings for the standard ones.

Of course if I have more than one set of keys (not including my office set) then I would give the extras to the tenants.

Hi all,

As a landlord, if you lease your property out to 3 adults whom are all on the lease agreement, are you required to provide 3 sets of keys? Or is it up to the Tennant to organise getting copies.

Thanks

Sean

Self-managed?

Different PM's seem to do different things? I had a few tenants through with first PM and only ever gave agents 1 set for tenants....then changed PM and when they needed a second set for the tenants I got charged for the key cutting on my next statement (5 keys, $20+)! PM's told me they'd need another set because 2 tenants on the lease and would organise to get one cut, but never mentioned I'd be the one paying for it...I guess it's there now for future use though so I never questioned it.

I always give my tenants at least the same number of sets of keys as there are tenants and even an extra set as a spare. Sets are normally 3-4 keys to cover all locks.

These sets are photocopied and added to the Entry condition report and must be returned at end of lease or they will be charged for replacement.

The last thing I would want is the tenant making multiple copies of keys because I hadn't provided enough. If I knew they were making copies this would necessitate changing lock barrels at the end of each tenancy as a matter of course.

nb: I realise tenants can always get more keys cut, however, my experience is that tenants are unlikely to add to their costs and any tenant who leaves on good terms is unlikely to be a problem in the future. However, if I had any doubts I would have barrels changed.

I've only used 4 different agencies in total. 3 in VIC, one for QLD and all wanted 3 sets; one for the office, one for the tenant and one spare.

If there weren't enough keys, they'd cut the extras and add it to the fees at a predetermined price. The last ones I went and cut myself as I had the time.

One tenancy I had was for 3 people on lease and I not only had to provide 3 sets keys, but 3 garage remotes as well (actually 4 of everything as the agent wanted a set too)

In Queensland each tenant on the lease gets a key to enter the property. Here is the detail lifted directly off the RTA website -

Locks and keys

Fast facts

A set of keys to enter the property are provided for each person named on the tenancy agreement.
A single set of keys should be provided for any other lockable area such as buildings, security gates, rooms, sheds, lockable cupboards and mailboxes.
Residents in rooming accommodation should be given keys for their room and if necessary the house or apartment building.
Keys include electronic key cards, swipe cards and remote controls.
All keys, including any copies made, must be returned at the end of the tenancy.
It is the responsibility of the lessor/agent/manager to supply and maintain locks to ensure that the property is reasonably secure.
Locks can only be changed if both parties agree, in an emergency or by order of the Tribunal.

Hi all,

Thanks

Sean

In NSW you are required to provide each occupant named on the lease a set of keys to access the property. It's in the standard tenancy agreement. Cheers

In Queensland each tenant on the lease gets a key to enter the property. Here is the detail lifted directly off the RTA website -

Locks and keys

Fast facts

A set of keys to enter the property are provided for each person named on the tenancy agreement.
A single set of keys should be provided for any other lockable area such as buildings, security gates, rooms, sheds, lockable cupboards and mailboxes.
Residents in rooming accommodation should be given keys for their room and if necessary the house or apartment building.
Keys include electronic key cards, swipe cards and remote controls.
All keys, including any copies made, must be returned at the end of the tenancy.
It is the responsibility of the lessor/agent/manager to supply and maintain locks to ensure that the property is reasonably secure.
Locks can only be changed if both parties agree, in an emergency or by order of the Tribunal.

In case the legislation isn't as clear as you'd hope;

You need to provide a key for every single lock on the property (ensure that unnecessary locks are removed), plus an "access" set for each tenant- which is usually however many keys it takes to get through the front door.

*Legislation may be different in Victoria. This is for QLD.

In case the legislation isn't as clear as you'd hope;

You need to provide a key for every single lock on the property (ensure that unnecessary locks are removed), plus an "access" set for each tenant- which is usually however many keys it takes to get through the front door.

*Legislation may be different in Victoria. This is for QLD.

I thought that was clear from the RTA info :confused:

I actually find it unreasonable to expect a new tenant to have to get keys cut.

Each lease holder should have a set of keys to the property. Occupants are another story.

Back