how much have you lost in the stockmarket

at least some people here have done well in the past...I've never made a cent from the stockmarket.

Buy when I'm not buying and sell when I'm buying...you will do very well :p

A couple of houses:eek:

All up most probably about the 10% mark.:(:mad:

Cheers

PS - I should mention that my buy price is still lower than the current value so in real terms still up 1% not taking into account lost opportunities.

Last edited:
just got the call from anz margin lending... looks like i better top up the account

Interesting.....wonder how many margin calls there's been this week?????

Do you mind revealing what your margin utilization was on 1/1/08???
Would it have been above 50%????

i.e.

Margin Utilization = Loan Value / (Share Portfolio Value * Maximum Gearing Ratio)

where
Loan Value = Total Amount Bank is prepared to lend whether utilized or not.
Share Portfolio Value = total of bank's and your money in shares currently
Max. Gearing Ratio = average gearing ratio across portfolio

Had a chat with a friend of mine yesterday who got margin called for 750K.

That's a very big OUCH!!!

SMSF is down about $35,000, but not at all worried - have seen it all before! Not yet as bad as '87 - that was messy! There's a bit of lazy cash sitting around in the SMSF, so might be time to go on a little shopping spree ..... soon.

Cheers
LynnH

Our portfolio is down 5% since the peak of the market in early november.

I'm glad I sold the more risky stuff late last year.

Not panicking, taking opportunity to buy good value stocks.

Cheers,

I've only lost $2.5K so far.

Lucky I sold all but 1 of my stocks 6 months ago :)

I've also moved all of my super over to a cash fund because
I remember a few years ago we had exactly the same scenario and my super got hammered so I wasn't going to let it happen again.

Cheers

I got the jitters last August when the market started doing weird things. I withdrew my funds {most from UBS Property} Decided to stick with picking my own co's and plowed most of those funds into a speccy. Least that way, if things go pear shape, Ive only got myself to blame! My spec has more than doubled since August and if Im reading the signs right, its got a long way to go yet.
I was gobsmacked to read yesterday that UBS Property had a massive loss resulting in its value dropping about 25%. Needless to say....Im very happy.

I got the jitters last August when the market started doing weird things. I withdrew my funds {most from UBS Property} Decided to stick with picking my own co's and plowed most of those funds into a speccy. Least that way, if things go pear shape, Ive only got myself to blame! My spec has more than doubled since August and if Im reading the signs right, its got a long way to go yet.
I was gobsmacked to read yesterday that UBS Property had a massive loss resulting in its value dropping about 25%. Needless to say....Im very happy.

Sootygirl

Well done :)

You are sooo lucky, this was a difficult one to predict.
UBS should recover though, their losses are mostly due
to their involvement with the Centro chain.

Cheers

Haven't 'lost' anything, but by current 'market valuations' am down about 20k. ;) Got to expect and allow for some volatility! :)

I'm doing about $30k I think..probably more..didn't check Friday's prices.

I am thinking of selling off the plan and if I do I will sell my shares to offset CGT. I don't know at this stage. May sell some next week.

Just had my friendly call from Amy at ANZ Margin Lending again. Just pumped another $21K margin call to push me back into buffer. The full margin call was $55K and I might yet have to fork out the other $34K tomorrow. I don't like picking bottoms, but sometime soon would be nice...

Still :D but now :), soon :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Michael

I've had a good day :)

AGK up 13c
BKN up 10c
CXC (my biggest holding) up 15c
Closed out my BHP/RIO play up a few grand.
My short on MQG going the right way.
STO and BHP are my only downers.

Better than average anyway.

Back