how much have you lost in the stockmarket

Interesting.....wonder how many margin calls there's been this week?????

Do you mind revealing what your margin utilization was on 1/1/08???
Would it have been above 50%????

i.e.

Margin Utilization = Loan Value / (Share Portfolio Value * Maximum Gearing Ratio)

where
Loan Value = Total Amount Bank is prepared to lend whether utilized or not.
Share Portfolio Value = total of bank's and your money in shares currently
Max. Gearing Ratio = average gearing ratio across portfolio

not exactly sure what it was to be honest... it was over 50% and to be fair I did 'borrow' some cash out so if I take that off of what I put in the call hasn't been much. I dumped some stocks that haven't made or lost me money e..g fosters but i see the portfolio overall is down abotu 4% today. Doesnt help when the big biys like Rio take a drop

Hate to be the big bear, but I don't see what news could possibly turn this correction around anytime soon. I think it will take at least 2 months before the emotion settles....

In that time, I wouldn't even try dollar cost averaging/trading into a stock...
Hasn't anyone ever heard of not trying to catch falling knives.....

It might be timely to point out that there is not a monolith "stock market". What we have is a market of thousands of stocks, all different. Some go up on the darkest of days, some fail in boom times.

OK It's hard to pick them individually, but you don't need to be much smarter than the average bear to pick the sectors you want to be in when storms hit. You must just read what the knowledgeable people so kindly make available, free on the web.

It does take time though, and many here are so busy making money they only have enough time to find a way to write off taxable income. (-ve property!) Stocks aren't for them. You do need a deep interest. Understanding, even if limited, will come.

The performance of BHP and ZFX have shocked me deeply but little else has.

to pick the sectors you want to be in when storms hit.

Yes, and I prefer this to stock picking, but so do hundreds and hundreds of active fund managers across the world who adopt this sort of investment approach...;) :p

It does take time though

Yes, a bit like a JOB isn't it...albeit perhaps a more profitable and enjoyable one (I think I've said that before in another thread)...:rolleyes: :D

so do hundreds and hundreds of active fund managers across the world who adopt this sort of investment approach...:rolleyes: :p
I think you'll find that most fund managers have little choice on sectors. It is clearly stated in their prospectus where they will invest, so, effectively, the individual's prejudices still make the market. He/she selects a fund operating in the sector of choice. Even the generalised "growth" or "income" funds will never stray too far from HVN, WOW, BHP, and a bank or two. (you know what I mean).

Years ago IBM ran ads that said something like "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM!" The ad did not say they were either the best or the cheapest, merely the safest. Nowhere is that logic more evident now than in the fund management world. They do not keep their job by giving 10% gains when everyone else misses by 10%. Just missing by 5% earns a bonus. :eek:

Joe Sixpack is still not electing gold/silver funds.

Interesting.....wonder how many margin calls there's been this week?????

Margin call rates shoot up
17 January 2008

The incidence of margin calls is increasing as the stock market continues to fall. Macquarie Margin Lending said that they made 72 calls yesterday but expects this to increase to 300 today.

Leveraged Equities reports that it made 282 margin calls yesterday, topping their record of 131 last Tuesday and well above the 20 to 50 calls a day before that.

CommSec and Colonial Geared Investments, which have around 80,000 margin loans between them, made nearly 500 calls yesterday.

By The Australian Financial Review

A Few more down days since this info came out... Interesting times

A lot of funds have trouble with liquidity with anything smaller than the stocks you mention. And they end up looking like the index, which is really what they are. And thats naturally limits their performance.

Even i sometimes have trouble getting in & out satisfactorily with the relatively small amounts i invest.

Even the generalised "growth" or "income" funds will never stray too far from HVN, WOW, BHP, and a bank or two. (you know what I mean).

Hi everyone,

I'm a relative newbie to shares but as I was reading this thread I was wondering....

When people are talking about losses are they real or paper losses?
Are people doing a buy and hold strategy or something else?
Are you investing in shares using your self managed funds?

We are trading in the US markets doing covered calls (I learnt it from a seminar and I'm following their recommendations :) ) and made just over US$2,000 (around 11% for what we invested). It will be less this month because some of our money is still tied up in the calls and we are not investing the amounts that some on this thread are talking about.

Regards,
Karen

Hi Kaz. I think I know the program you are using, PP?

Are you buying shares or CFDs? If the latter you might have a bad night tonight. I thought Daniel's system left you very exposed to these events and never followed it.

I was looking at the PP program as well as i'm a straight up long/short equities guy and i wanted to diversify.

It looks like a great strategy with plenty of upside with the CFD and downside protection with the puts. Is it as good as it looks on the surface.

I just didnt want to fork out 4k in the current market conditions so will wait and do a bit more research on the entire CFD/option strategy.

Hey, I've got one green. AGK up 1c. LOL

Just closed my Macquarie short but think I'll short some more banks before close.

I'm still heading south but these shorts give me something to trade with later, at least.

I'm still heading south but these shorts give me something to trade with later, at least.
Hmmmm.....tis a sad state of affairs when one goes from losing the shirt off their back to the shorts off their tooshie!!!! :(

Fingers crossed it doesn't go that far south Sunfish, wouldn't want you to catch a chill !!! :p

Has the market technically crashed ?
What constitutes a 'technical crash' ? > 20% lower than the 52 week high ?

Then you can't trade anyway. All these on-line brokers fall over on days like this.:(

Blessing in disguise.

I have been trying to close my shorts all morning, but you guessed it, Comsec won't let me in.

They are not even taking calls (well, I suspect it's more of a case that their switch overheat than not taking calls)

So my shorts just keep falling further south...., I hope to be able to get in before they rebounce.

Back