how much have you lost in the stockmarket

I had the strangest call from a friend on the day after the -400+ day asking for a loan of $10k to cover his brothers position further.

It seems my friend had already loaned him all he could and he had still come up short.

I guess he got sold out!!!

Cheers

i lost $20 (thats twenty dollars) on my false BHP start a few weeks ago.

other than that, i have been 95% in cash since october. i missed the confirmation signal for the short-term downward over the break because my computer decided to die.

ASX to fall further. just finished my own analysis - looking at a possible 4900 all ords.
Blue C,what do you think will happen over the next week,just goes to show how all the media can control investors mindsets,everybody runs on panic and hits the exit gate at the same time,while the old bulls who have seen this so many times before,just sit and wait then slam the gate:)..
..willair..

I believe the market will be very volatile this year so my plan is to wait for some stocks to recover then sell it so I am in a position to buy better quality stocks when the market crashes again.

I didn't sell any stocks this week but bought instead.

My paper losses on my property unit trust stands at $30k :( but I have received $10k in dividends and expect another $7k by end of financial yr. I'll stick with my initial plan of holding it for 3 yrs for yield an dhopefully the unit price would have also recovered a little. My LVR has gone up to 50% on this :eek:

I believe the market will be very volatile this year so my plan is to wait for some stocks to recover then sell it so I am in a position to buy better quality stocks when the market crashes again.

QUOTE]

i'm not sure i quite understand your strategy .. you want to hold pooer stocks for now hoping they go up quicker than better quality stocks .. and then sell them when they go up ... wait for the market to drop again .. then buy better quality stocks?

Did you consider just selling the dogs and buying 'better' stocks now, whilst they are relatively cheap?

I remember a thread a month or so back where someone asked me why i dont like to borrow for shares (margin lending)

Well thats exactly why. Imagine having to sell into this market? OMG:D

No offense but people should be employing their own stop-losses long before they get a margin call.

I had the strangest call from a friend on the day after the -400+ day asking for a loan of $10k to cover his brothers position further.

It seems my friend had already loaned him all he could and he had still come up short.

I guess he got sold out!!!

It's a brutal thing, the margin call.

I was having a bite to eat with a guy yesterday. He was in a few stocks that were still going backward. He got a call. It was a pretty short call. I'd say they just said: 'You owe us money. We're selling XXX and XXX.' He would have had similar calls on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Of course, today those stocks have come back up nicely. But he no longer holds them.

Scott

No offense but people should be employing their own stop-losses long before they get a margin call.

Oh Yes! This is lesson that I seem to have to learn again and again:eek:.
Though, I have not placed myself in a position to be forced to sell to avoid a margin call.

I have a tendency to collect things that I must work hard to avoid applying to stocks. I find it equally as hard to sell to take a profit as a loss.

I did just take the opportunity to sell some MQG at what was for me 10% down as opposed to the miserable loss they were showing the other day.
My crystal ball is not working so only time will tell whether that was a good choice or not.

Louise

i'm not sure i quite understand your strategy .. you want to hold pooer stocks for now hoping they go up quicker than better quality stocks .. and then sell them when they go up ... wait for the market to drop again .. then buy better quality stocks?

Did you consider just selling the dogs and buying 'better' stocks now, whilst they are relatively cheap?

no because i don't want to lose money or minimize my losses, i could have sold on mon and tues but I didn't and I'm glad because atm it's only paper losses.

I also believe there will b a lot of chances this year to buy quality stocks and the worst is yet to come..Especially once US is in a full blown recession.

no because i don't want to lose money or minimize my losses, i could have sold on mon and tues but I didn't and I'm glad because atm it's only paper losses.

I also believe there will b a lot of chances this year to buy quality stocks and the worst is yet to come..Especially once US is in a full blown recession.

Anticipating a recession is worst then a recession itself. So much anxiety and fear.

vla - maybe for some but for me, yes I'm worried but not stressed or fearful mainly because I've never experienced a recession first hand.....but I guess I can try my best to prepare for a recession.

with another 2 interest rate rises this year...cash is not a bad idea.

Anticipating a recession is worst then a recession itself. So much anxiety and fear.

I'm with Sue. It doesn't stress me, just makes me think. But even if you haven't got the time to study the market (there are many here dollar rich, time poor) following the simple path I've advocated for (must be?) 5 years now, of buying the resources, gold and silver you would have done well and continue to do so if you swing even further to the precious metals in the recession.

It's actually logical. :)

I have six friends who are full time traders (not day traders as such) and are very good at it but 5 of them are now all at 80% cash ..... which in all their cases is many millions each. All because of the uncertainity ahead. They are open to bargains but not getting in too deep with any species. Also, they don't all hold blue chip either ...

Exactly, the market hates the unknown and confirmation of something negative, can often result in a rise, just as confirmation of something positive may result in a fall, as it has already been factored in!

I havent clicked on this thread much because the losses in our Super Fund, which is quite aggressive, were significant. I did sell some of the more volatile shares (which have also been the ones who have made me quite some money over 12 months) and have now bought back in at a much lower price.

Goodness knows what the next 6 months will bring, but my tactics from now on (and to a degree in the past) will be to protect profit (which also means I protect capital)

The one share which made me really angry was MFS! In which I lost significantly, not because of market trends but because of ineptitude of the management. There has now been some blood letting too. Will be interesting to see if the Directors have acted legally in divulging their debts!

Pushka, you are not the only one here investing in MFS so please don't take this as a personal Q, rather one more generally directed. :)

What was the attraction?

Now the only reason I know it exists is via SS, and the chart tells me it had a good couple of years but reversed eight months ago. Don't count the fingers, that,s May.

Ignoring charts is one thing, pretending to diversify is another. :( I say this because property, generally, is leveraged to the health of the financial sector but so many here "diversify" property by buying banks, LPTs and other financiers. It isn't logical.

A few years ago I would have called those going for diversification "soft" and lacking conviction but I now know that there is more than one road to Rome and a little bit of real spread eases the mind.

Pushka, you are not the only one here investing in MFS so please don't take this as a personal Q, rather one more generally directed. :)

What was the attraction?.

Hey Sun, I took my eye off the charts with this one! As you say, things went off the boil some months ago but I didn't see it.

I originally held Breakfree (BRK) many years ago, then they merged :confused: with MFS and for quite some time (maybe a good couple of years) everything was going very well, with good dividend yield. Quite simply, I just forgot about them and was concentrating on chasing some more aggressive shares (FMG for instance) and well, I just never expected that to happen. I should have twigged when the subprime issue in the States was rearing its head, but, sadly, I didnt!

I actually thought I was diversifying by holding MFS, as I am heavily geared into Mining!

Thanks Pushka, Yes you can forget about an old fav, I held ZFX too long, :) and if you are into mining then you were diversifying. Fair answer.

Back