how much should I expect to pay?

I'm looking at buying an older timber home and need to consider the improvements that will need to be done before making an offer. I'm wondering if anyone can offer some feedback/suggestions as to how much I would be outlaying for the following on a 3 b/room house:

- insulation
- basic ensuite (there's already a toilet)
- redo built-in wardrobes

We're also considering putting up MDF VJ sheeting on 2/3 height of the wall throughout. How does this stuff look? Would such a big amount of it look ok, or is it obviously fake? How expensive would it be to do the house (not kitchen or bathroom). I'm in SE Qld.

The big thing with an older queenslander is the electricity re-wiring and plumbing costs you will be up for.
How is the condition of the roof, is it rusty and need replacing?
External sanding and painting?
How are the stumps looking?

Why not engage somebody who actually knows - like a building inspection service.

Usually they can include a costing for rectification works in their conditions report.

However, this would be property specific as it is impossible to give a "one-size-fits-all" costing on site-unseen properties. They may be able to give you some broad rule-of-thumb figures but that's all they will be.

Yes, it's a further cost but you have the option of either guessing or knowing - one nearly always works out cheaper than the other.

Back