How much would you pay for a handbag?

I want our handbag carrying forumites to help me out here. I really don't want yet another useless $49 handbag that I have to tip everything out to find the phone or the keys or a pen, so I think I should get something decent. Thing is "decent" seems to run to $400-$500 . Is that too much for a handbag?

I'm working four days a week these days, don't I deserve it???

Go to Hong Kong and travel into Shenzhen! You will have a holiday and get some really lovely bags for much less than that!

How does the pricetag make things easier to find?

Does it have an indexing system or something?

Maybe if you kept less stuff in it and cleaned it out often you could save yourself a lot of money?

Maybe I am looking at it from a bloke's perspective here...

I'm working four days a week these days, don't I deserve it???
From this comment you obviously want to spend the money, so don't try and get us to justify your purchases. Just when you do spend it, make sure you are aware of what you are buying, an expensive piece of junk as opposed to a cheap piece of junk.

BR

Maybe I am looking at it from a bloke's perspective here...

seeing how you are questioning a lady's common sense when it comes to handbags....I would say yes.... I would almost think you were single as well :p

My wife just has a nice suede Esprit handbag for "the essentials" (has lots of zip compartments and pockets)... and a green woolies reusable shopping bag for the overflow.

As for me... I have two pockets :cool:

You know what? Its my husband that thinks I should get a decent bag with multiple accessible compartments (Mind you, I've been thinking the same thing for a while).

Lately, he has had to search for things in my bag, and I've had such fun watching him tear his hair out. He often gives up searching blindly with his hand and tips the contents out in complete frustration because he can't find what he needs. :D

I've heard "why don't you buy a decent bl****y bag" a few times of late.

I like Pushkas idea, go overseas and check out the copies handbag market.

You do all know that $1500 is about average for a REAL bag don't you? :cool:

For years I have bought most of my bags at Lifeline because I get sick of them so quickly. If I only pay $10 for a leather bag that has only been used a couple of times, I happily use it until I get sick of it, then put it in the next Lifeline bag I put together. I have a favourite few and tend to prefer leather ones that are soft and "cling" to the body. I actually hate having to hold onto a bag so I love my slouchy sling over the whole body type bags which leaves both hands free.

If you really have to have it, get it. But I love getting a nice bag for under $10. Last one I bought was a genuine Louie Vuitton shoulder bag with a broken zip for $2. It looks genuine, but for $2 I really don't care.

Personally I would never pay even $100 for a bag but that's just me.

Wylie

I don't think thats the complete story BR.

I think good design does actually cost. It just so happens that it's usually public figures like celebrities that can afford "good design" which is probably why you associate nice things with celebrities. :)

You do all know that $1500 is about average for a REAL bag don't you? :cool:

I paid 20 bucks for my wallet probably about 13 years ago now. Still going strong, I don't see myself having to replace it for at least another 5 years. $500 bucks for an oversized purse? They must see you coming from a mile away.

Mark

...$400-$500 . Is that too much for a handbag?...

Yes. It's a bag. You put things in it.

*edit: Then again, if you're one of the mystery people who selected the 20mil+ option on the Net Assets/Equity poll, you go right ahead. Buy a couple even. And a few extra for some friends. You've worked hard and smart for that bag!

Last edited:
seeing how you are questioning a lady's common sense when it comes to handbags....I would say yes.... I would almost think you were single as well :p

My wife just has a nice suede Esprit handbag for "the essentials" (has lots of zip compartments and pockets)... and a green woolies reusable shopping bag for the overflow.

As for me... I have two pockets :cool:

Common sense and handbags in the same sentence?

Lately, he has had to search for things in my bag....

Braver man than me ...

If you need a good bag then get one. I reckon quality counts and you should spend more to get the best you can that will last for years. I do that when I buy stuff. I am too old and too well off to buy crappy stuff. But I only buy stuff I really need.

The bit I don't understand is the collecting of them and the changing of them before they are worn out :eek:

I did hear once that a woman will buy something she doesn't need if it is half price whereas a man will pay double price to get something he does need.

A gross generalisation but like all of them it is true in a few cases.

Enjoy the handbag. I would love to see a picture of it. I hope it has more functions than a Swiss Army Handbag!

Now Simon......

Women change their handbags because (unlike wallets) they are seen and sometimes you need a small bag and sometimes a bigger bag. Sometimes you need a black bag, sometimes a brown one, maybe a coloured one.

Seriously, I tend to go for black leather, but you still get sick of carrying the same bag day after day.

At least some of us do recycle the bags. I grew up as the daughter of a chronic hoarder, and luckily I married the complete opposite, so I hate clogging up my cupboards with "stuff", even handbags.

Wylie

don't own a handbag - and haven't for around 15 years. i have a nice compact leather wallet, two keys on my keyring (house and car), sunglass on top of the head and maybe a mobile if expecting a call (otherwise it gets left in the car). no room for junk, so therefore i don't collect any.

and even better - if going shopping, it gives extra incentive to buy some, so i can put my wallet, keys and phone in the plastic shop bag. :D

oh, i do own a small, black vinyl backpack for when i need to carry snacks and drinks for the kids. cost about $10 at bigw 5 years ago.

now - if we were talking about coats .... ;)

Back