How much would you pay for a handbag?

don't own a handbag - and haven't for around 15 years. i have a nice compact leather wallet, two keys on my keyring (house and car), sunglass on top of the head and maybe a mobile if expecting a call (otherwise it gets left in the car). no room for junk, so therefore i don't collect any.

and even better - if going shopping, it gives extra incentive to buy some, so i can put my wallet, keys and phone in the plastic shop bag. :D

Need more women like you lizzie.

Mark

This is what MUST be carried.

personal mobile, office mobile, pager, ID card on lanyard, purse (with money and cards), comb, tissues, nail strengthener :D diary, last years diary (coz I haven't transferred the numbers yet), carkeys, hands free kit, pen, 2 batteries, parking change, camera (sometimes), 2 lipsticks, eyeliner, concealer :rolleyes: my sunglasses & case, reading glasses and case.

Now I can carry it all in a coles bag or I can buy something from Gucci to fit the bill. I think that on a continuum of choice, I am closer to the gucci end than the plastic bag end.

Same with putting all my money into IP's and doing without the occassional "lick of the marshmallow", I'm just not prepared to sacrifice some of the pleasures that are out there in life to be enjoyed. :)

i hear ya tiz....
wallet, mobile, sunnies, sunny case, camera, lipbalm, ipod...sometimes paper, book, work stuff...whatever else. and im a dinkum bloke!!:)

if i was a chick, id buy Oroton, and id spend $300. :)

Are you sure the $2 LV bag is geniune? The zipper on my LV pouch is broken :( It's about $300 but the cutest bag!

At international airport, there's often handbag sale on brands like Burberry etc

I also have a Gucci pouch, a burberry wallet, a versace purse and Valentino tote. Amazingly, they were all presents!

Unfortunately I don't use the pouches anymore coz I need a bigger bag to store sippy cup, snacks, a nappy, camera and wipes! If i want designer I'm gonna have to spend $800+ for a bigger bag.

I bought a bag from Target for $10 on sale which lasted only 3 mths before the strap broke!!

Esprit's quality is pretty good and they have some nice designs.

But I don't think that's too much to spend on a quality bag!!

Only thing with designer handbags is that they're so common nowadays that you can't tell the real from the fake ones. I have seen fakes which I thought were real.

My wishlist is the LV Musette Tango $850.00

I have no idea if the LV $2 bag is real or not. It looks real and the internal tags look genuine. I bought it in an op shop at Maleney and for $2 I thought I'd take the risk.

But I agree that labels are a dime a dozen, and the abundance of fakes makes having an expensive genuine one seem a bit silly, seeing that most people can't tell the difference. But I've never been a label type of gal anyway. I just couldn't go past such a bargain, real or not.

As Kim would say (from Kath & Kim) "I think I saved so much money today that I may have actually MADE money".

Wylie

wow, i didn't even know pagers were still around! What is the advantage of a pager over an SMS message on the mobile?

Ah probably nothing at all, but pagers are fairly standard issue in public hospitals. No way the WA Health department are likely to move out of the dark ages any time soon. :rolleyes:

"Bilum" is a good brand, not overly expensive and you wont see to many on the street's of Sydney/Melb etc.

All custom made one off's as well.

BB

This is what MUST be carried.

personal mobile, office mobile, pager, ID card on lanyard, purse (with money and cards), comb, tissues, nail strengthener :D diary, last years diary (coz I haven't transferred the numbers yet), carkeys, hands free kit, pen, 2 batteries, parking change, camera (sometimes), 2 lipsticks, eyeliner, concealer :rolleyes: my sunglasses & case, reading glasses and case.

Now I can carry it all in a coles bag or I can buy something from Gucci to fit the bill. I think that on a continuum of choice, I am closer to the gucci end than the plastic bag end.

I have to carry all that stuff too, but I carry it in a $50 handbag from a factory outlet cos that's all I can afford/justify right now. If you can afford/justify more, then go ahead and lick your marshmallow!

(I licked the marshmallow last week - $58 barramundi and tiramisu at a nice restaurant, not exactly tetsuya's but it was yummy and I felt special - and I have nothing to show for it. So maybe a $500 dollar handbag isn't so crazy...:) )

In a past life, when I was younger (much), single and had an extremely extravagent lifestyle (i.e. spent more than I earnt!). Gosh it feels like a lifetime ago now, I paid $200 for handbags. I would try to buy them on sale, (occasionally!):eek:

I found that the bigger the handbag the more I stuffed into it, cause you never know when I might need that thingamijiggi:rolleyes:

Today I have a $15 (on special) smaller handybag. Still fits the most important things - wallet, phone, tapemeasure and wipes, plus a little bit of room left. Amazingly it is now into its 4th year. Record in my books.

Handbags and shoes were my weakness. Now I am more than happy to spend my money on property.

I reckon if you can afford the handbag of your dreams - then you go and get one, be proud and loud, show it off and enjoy it.

Sunshine

PS What colour and finish?? I saw a beautiful pink croc finish looking one on sale yesterday, very large and oh so nice - 1/2 price only $190. I thought about it BUT I would need shoes AND the outfit to match. He he

A long long time ago I remember .....

I haven't actually gone to look yet Sunshine so nothing in mind as such (that action is a slippery slope). I just know that thats about the money I'd be looking at.
Luce I have looked around at the $50 market and I'd be more than happy to buy if the bag (needs to be black) had enough easily accessible compartments in a style I liked...but so far I haven't seen anything that would suit.It has to look elegant not slouchy or teeny bopperish or full of zips and metal that would look more at home on a bikers jacket.

The choice is a work in progress and I will savour the moment :cool:

How much would you pay for a handbag?

Depends on how much the matching purse, shoes, belt, gloves, umbrella came to!!! :p :D

But is it Christian Lacroix, Dahling?

For some reason, probably that large expensive leather bags are fashionably 'in', this thread reminds me of the BBC series Absolutely Fabulous. Christian Lacroix was Eddie's favourite designer (remember the birthday earrings?). Doubtless copies of Christian Lacroix handbags would be available on eBay, which is somewhat closer than Honkers.

Now where is my helmet, I'm off for the nearest dug-out to escape the flack.

How much would I pay?...Kinda wouldn't Tizzy....I'm just not a handbag kind of woman.

Phone, sunglasses and keys are enough for me to ever carry around, to be sure each of those have been misplaced:p

Long distance travelling involved over time: is a backpack or empty handed...or a horse on the end of a lead..:) that's just me though...you want it babe, you go get it!;)

Have fun.

I was thinking about my reaction to the original post today and realised I have a long way t go in regards to mindset. As is evident, my original reaction was akin to shock. However, I wouldn't think twice about dropping a couple hundred bucks on a record I really wanted and that would sit on the shelf and get pulled out occasionally for a bit of admiration.

I can just imagine Tizzy saying to me 'You paid HOW MUCH for that?' hee hee. Anyway, the point is that no one needs to justify any purchase to anyone. If you want it, just go out and buy it.

I've hit a few goals now and I'm learning to loosen the purse strings a little bit so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. I don't see the point in accumulating wealth if you don't do something with it.

So thanks for the thread Tizzy as it's made me realise which parts of my psyche need attention.

Mark

I haven't actually gone to look yet Sunshine so nothing in mind as such (that action is a slippery slope). I just know that thats about the money I'd be looking at.
Luce I have looked around at the $50 market and I'd be more than happy to buy if the bag (needs to be black) had enough easily accessible compartments in a style I liked...but so far I haven't seen anything that would suit.It has to look elegant not slouchy or teeny bopperish or full of zips and metal that would look more at home on a bikers jacket.

The choice is a work in progress and I will savour the moment :cool:

Sound's like you need another trip to Penang Preadhead.:D

BB

I think you might be right about that BB. A trip back to Penang would be lovely. :)

Thanks Mark, I learned from it too. It wasn't until I read the car thread & then asked about what is an acceptable amount to pay for a handbag that I realised how incredibly personal our choices are in life when it comes to consumable luxuries.

BTW, you are so right about those records. :rolleyes: What are you thinking!! hahaha. Maybe I should send over my Leonard Cohen records to add to your collection, personally I prefer the sound I get from his CD's.

Back