How petty!

How petty have we become that we have to fine the winner of the Melbourne Cup because in the moment of his absolute delight he "blew a kiss" to the crowd. I mean, get real!!
Frizzle :(

$exual harrasment perhaps

Just read the article, why is it a problem anyhow? Does it offend some people? :confused:

The blown kiss may have carried with the wind toward the David Jones marquee and caused severe harrasment to occupants, both male and female and led to ensuing legal ramifications :rolleyes: :cool:

Hi,

The fine is because it was before the winning post, the race was still in progress. Horses are horses not machines, they can do the unexpected at any time and quite often do :)

If the horse had shied at all the noise the jockey may have fallen off before the post.

If he had done it after the post then no probs :D

Hi,

The fine is because it was before the winning post, the race was still in progress. Horses are horses not machines, they can do the unexpected at any time and quite often do :)

If the horse had shied at all the noise the jockey may have fallen off before the post.

If he had done it after the post then no probs :D

Macca, have you been to the races?? the jockeys scream at the horses all the way down the straight.

Might also have been a problem with fixing races, inside betting with jockeys, signaling someone in the crowd etc

They are very strict in this area. I remember a case a few years ago when a jockey shook hands with another jockey while still on their horses after the post and was severely reprimanded, maybe suspended.

What looks petty on the surface may - in reality - be not petty at all but regulatory.

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't I seen over time, jockeys waving their whips as they gallop up to and cross the finish line? Is there much difference in the recent scenario?
Frizzle. :confused:

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/racing/news/article/-/8247544/cup-winner-fined-for-kiss/20/

Americain jockey, Gerald Mosse, has been fined $AU300 for blowing a kiss to the crowd after taking out the 150th Melbourne Cup.

The Frenchman, whose horse broke away in the final stretch to take out the coveted race yesterday, was pulled up by race stewards after he was told it was an offence to make a celebratory gesture before the winning post.
Mosse was said to be apologetic after explaining that he was blowing a kiss to the Flemington crowd

"You know, I sort of got caught up with the crowd, the atmosphere, sort of. I really wanted to thank them for coming - they all got pretty wet but they kept cheering," the 43-year-old told Australian newspaper The Age.

This isn't the first time Mosse has been in front of officials.

He was suspended on his first Australian outing when he won the Geelong Cup on Americain for causing interference.

It's basically the health and safety, protocol as Macca explained, it sounds a bit unreasonable to folks that are unfamiliar with the sports rules, but in the actually race, even with yelling, screaming, buffering around, use of whips, there are relgualtions within that too.

It's about concentrating, professionalism, having as much control over yourself/the horse, for respect, concern of other horses, riders, the safety...all that (important) stuff.

The risk to jockeys as an occupation is quite dangerous and high, it has (proportionate wise) high death, serious injury rates.

Having said that I think his fine was $300, it wont break his bank, and it is understandable he was quite excited. But there are rules and regulations in racing, and for very good reason. Even at Melbourne Cup last few stride finishes.

Macca, have you been to the races?? the jockeys scream at the horses all the way down the straight.

Hi,

LOL only about 2000 times.

The fact is rules are rules, I have seen plenty of horses shy at "nothing" and if you have one hand in the air waving to the crowd you don't have proper balance.

Hugh Bowman was fined on Saturday for the same thing when he won the Derby, bigger exhibition, bigger fine.

The stewards weren't that upset because it was a small gesture so only a small fine but they have to act to stop it getting out of hand (like Saturday)

Next thing is the jockeys will be tearing off their shirts 100m from home like the soccer players.

NO; it must be stopped, because you give 'em an inch....

No kiss blowing for god's sake. :D

Last edited:
...and the other point of view is the first prizemoney of approx. 3.6 million is a nice haul, the owners have planned this runner for nigh on 5 years, the trainer does his utmost to get this horse as best he possibly can on the day, there is a lot of work, people and planning in this little venture, many folks take the horse racing industry/rewards/competitiveness quite seriously, very professionally, expressions of emotion by the jockey after the finish line is ok, while there is a job to do, see completed (apart from the other O H & S issues-regulations), why let emotion overcome you when you have not completed the job, risk it. There are jockeys that have cost themselves, (owners, trainers, ancillary staff, punters) - BIG races, huge prizemoney by incidents like these, dropping their guard, failure to ride out their horse. Let the emotion kick in after the finish post.

It's not rocket science.

(I have great admiration for jockeys, don't misunderstand me, we have jockeys in our family-I understand their lives, their pressures, their dedication, their work).

I also think 3.6 million is not to be toyed with because he got emotional and wanted to blow kisses, wave his whip or any of that stuff. He is paid to do a job, do it, then after the finish line I'll kiss him myself.

Back