How successful are you? -Napoleon Hill Foundation Success Questionaire

always_learning said:
.....oh dear, I bet the "yes" answer is "supposed" to be a postive indicator of success!

lol, yep.

I could have got a higher score by answering the questions the way they wanted them answered but honest answers got me a 61.

a. Do you have habits which offend others?
A. Yes
B. No

I can't help it, I have to admit I fart in bed...my wife finds it highly offensive!

b. Do you express "opinions" on subjects with which you are not familiar?
A. Yes
B. No
...Thats what this forum is for :D

d. Are you even-tempered at all times?
A. Yes
B. No
...I though only budda was able to achive this level of control over mind!

I failed to complete this questionnaire....

Too many of the precepts did not fit my definition of success.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I answered according to what I knew would be deemed correct according to their teachings.

Scored 73/75, which means that I am very good at identifying how they want you to answer or have absorbed their books well.

Real score with honest answers (if I bothered to do it) estimated at about 10!

Rgds, Peter

Well, there you go, I scored 68 - I'm surprised! Mind you, there were quite a few questions where it said "do you ALWAYS" and if I was honest I'd probably say 95% of the time or higher, which would mean I should answer no - but I answered yes.
Also, regarding the question
"Do you have confidence in the American form of government? "
It does say FORM of government, not the American government itself. So yes, I have a lot more confidence in democracy compared to other types of government. Doesn't necessarily mean I like the current American government or some things they've done!!!

This is a question put in to prove that you have read the book and uncritically accept its teachings.

If you haven't read it then it means you can't score 100% in success quizzes like these!

Such questions may tell more about the quizzes lack of rigour than the participant's chance of success.

Possibly the only area where it may be helpful is in gauging participants' adroitness in answering loaded questions!

Rgds, Peter

HI
I'm sort of confused.
Got a good score but I got this one wrong ?!
c. Do you know of anyone who has achieved success in any calling without doing more than they were paid to do?
A. Yes
B. No

I do, I really do and yet some computer system says I'm wrong.
How can that be. I know what I have seen, and heard. :eek:
Does this mean I will now be relegated to the failures and not succeed :rolleyes:
jahn

jahn said:
HI
I'm sort of confused.
Got a good score but I got this one wrong ?!
c. Do you know of anyone who has achieved success in any calling without doing more than they were paid to do?
A. Yes
B. No

I do, I really do and yet some computer system says I'm wrong.
How can that be. I know what I have seen, and heard. :eek:

I think that 'some computer system' is correct.

To achieve success you must 'do more than being paid to do', 'deliver service beyond expectations', 'go the extra mile' or whatever the current saying is.

Thus you get customer loyalty, deliver best perceived value for money and the world beats a path to your doorstep until you get so big that you become lazy, and the process repeats with new challengers delivering the better service and winning market share.

But doesn't this also mean that one way of succeeding is lowering job or customer expectations, but keep doing what you are doing now?

Then you will be exceeding these (lowered) expectations and thus be a roaring success? ;)

Dilbert meets Napoleon Hill (probably in an Ikea store)!

Rgds, Peter

Hi Peter
Please tell me how to go about - "lowering job or customer expectations," :eek: and tou will have a friend for life. :D
BTW, love your first part of the post. Want a job in motivation. You even make it sound easy :)
Dilbert must be smarter than I thought, if he can find anyone in an Ikea store.
jahn

jahn said:
Hi Peter
Please tell me how to go about - "lowering job or customer expectations," :eek: and tou will have a friend for life. :D
Dilbert must be smarter than I thought, if he can find anyone in an Ikea store.

You've hit the nail on the head!

I first entered an Ikea about 3 weeks ago. Despite having worked in retail, it was a real culture shock, and I felt genuinely disoriented.

However as I walked around, I reflected on it and realised that it was the product of a very clever and deliberate design process that sought to change the way the customer interacted with the store.

Such a design process appeared to include cutting staffing costs (by reducing the total number of staff) while lowering customer expectations of you being able to find a staff member.

Unlike other retail outlets, Ikea is brutally honest about this and tells the customer up-front (literally) with big boards when you enter explaining 'why they are so cheap'. They actually tell you that there are unlikely to be many staff and that all information is provided on little cards attached to each product. Providing pens, pads and a disposable tape measure is another example of getting the customer to do stuff that would be done by a staff member in a conventional store.

This is all lowering expectations of service, with the 'why we are so cheap' material trying to sell to the customer the advantages to them of the Ikea way. The aim is to ensure the customer feels they are getting something in return.

Other examples of conscious design include the 'pipeline' of funelling customes from entry to exit so they see all parts of the store and making the dock a public (customer) area that people go to get their stuff. This reduces staff labour in moving stock to the floor. (conventional store = 1. Receive goods, 2. Shelve in dock, 3. Put on floor, 4. Sell off floor; Ikea 1. Receive goods, 2. Shelve in dock, 3. Sell from dock). One step is eliminated.

Ikea has obviously read their Alvin Toffler, as it's not all high-tech scientific management. They have sought to counter their brutal efficiency by adding several 'high touch' human elements, for example the child minding facility, a cafe and a staffed front counter (not that blokes will tend to ask before entering).

These human elements are a bit like a nice street number or high-quality bathroom fitting on a house, they might be only a small part, but they might change the way the house presents.

Ikea is not alone in changing expectations; it's just that they are so blatant about it, so even people like me can pick it up. Supermarkets have been doing it for years, as have businesses who say 'we won't send you a brochure but it's on our website to be downloaded and printed on YOUR printer' and public transport systems with automated ticketing (instead of buying from a person).

It is fair to say some efforts have been more successful than others.

This probably has as much to do with success at lowering customer expectations (by telling them What's In It For Me) than exceeding a certain level of service.

But where customers attitudes are hostile and entrenched, then substantive change rather than the superficial marketing floss of 'communications' or 'perception management' may be required.

Regards, Peter

Back