How to completely fit out and renovate a whole villa for less than $7000

I am just about to finish my first reno on a unit of mine. Its a 2 bedder, but still quite small. It was a mess, with the old owners doing a lot of dodgy work which they covered up when i purchased the place. I should have taken a little more notice, but i was 21 at the time.

I painted throughout with a painter, he is a friend of mine so it was $30 cash/hr + i supplied paint. Guessing he could have knocked it out in 18-24, but due to there being a lot of patching needing to be done, it will stretch to about 35.

Floored through a family friend who owns a flooring business. Went expensive in the living with commercial strength vinyl planks, and end of roll carpet in the bedroom.

Chaned the configuration of the kitchen a little, painted it with a new sink and tiles. Putting in new blinds, lights, door handles, kitchen cupboards, and updating the bathroom by painting the tiles, adding some cupboards and a shower screen.

All up this has cost me about $7000, and 6 weeks to complete. The tradies were a pain, as i needed an electrician and plumber to come in, which did delay the completion by around 1 week. I basically had people do most of the work due to my time constraints, so if i were to have painted, i would have saved another $1000.

I think you can do what you have planned with $7000, but what i have learnt is to make sure you have as much as you can planned out beforehand. Thats where my mistake was made, and it cost me a lot of headaches and running around.

Hope this is some help

The round sink, have used them for few years now, I never go back to the properties but have never been posed this issue. The sinks are siliconed in and the benches are also siliconed in.

Should be sweet if all is siliconed in as you say Nath, though I rekon it would be a pain washing the dishes with one of these. You would need a tub or something to sit the washed items in. Otherwise you'd have water dripping onto the floor.

Benchtop material is pretty good these days. I have left my sink cutouts exposed in the open weather (rain and sun) for weeks without any sign of deterioration. A change from the original flakey chipboard days.

Back