Are my reno estimates reasonable?

Hi all,

Just after some advice from people who have done some renos before. I recently purchased a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment is pretty worn as it was built in the 70's. I was thinking if I can reno it for a reasonable price then I may do so given i can get back a decent rental increase on it. Below is what I was thinkin of doing and some approximations of what I think it will cost to do:

Kitchen:
Cupboards - Bunnings flat pack style - 2500-3000
Tiles - Standard plain white for splashbacks - 300-500
Sink - 150-200
Taps - 50
Oven, Stove and rangehood - 1500-2000

Bathroom:
Toilet system - 150-200
Bathtub- 100-150
Shower screen for bathtub/shower - 200-300
Vanity - 300ish
Taps - 100
Fan - 50
Tiles for floor and splashback above vanity - 500
Mirror - 50

Other:
Carpet - 1000
Paint - 500
Blinds - 500
Interior doors - 200
Labour to fit appliances in kitchen - 300
Labour to plumb sink and all bathroom stuff - 300
Tiler to tile splashback in kitchen and bathroom floor - 300

I dont plan to do anything extravigant. Just want to make it look a bit more modern but still keep it on a budget. I know its hard to say but do those estimates sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Kitchen:
Cupboards - Bunnings flat pack style - 2500-3000 - ok
Tiles - Standard plain white for splashbacks - 300-500 - work on $40sqm incl grout / adhesive
Sink - 150-200 - 200-250
Taps - 50 - 100 a set
Oven, Stove and rangehood - 1500-2000 ok

Bathroom:
Toilet system - 150-200 - if the pan is good just change the citern and seat. 100
it will cost a about 200 for the plumber to install a new pan. more if there are problems

Bathtub- 100-150 - if there is no bath already leave this one out, otherwise cost ok
Shower screen for bathtub/shower - 200-300 - I would budget 500 to be safe
Vanity - 300ish - 300-400
Taps - 100 - 100 per set
Fan - 50
Tiles for floor and splashback above vanity - 500 - see costing for splash backs
Mirror - 50 - ok

Other:
Carpet - 1000 - I have not been able to get carpet for under 100 per linear mtr layed - that includes rementants so budget 100 per linear mtr
Paint - 500 - ok
Blinds - 500 - ok decor to go are good buy off the self and have them cut to size $30 per blind - cutting them your self is a bit fiddly and time consuming.
Interior doors - 200 - ok if you hang them your self, 100-150 each to get some one to hang them
Labour to fit appliances in kitchen - 300 - do you mean electrician? budget 600
Labour to plumb sink and all bathroom stuff - 300 - plumber about 600
Tiler to tile splashback in kitchen and bathroom floor - 300 - dreaming try around 300-400 per day labour kitchen splash backs and a 2mtr x 2mtr bathroom (do not forget waterproofing in the shower and hobbing the bath) I would budget I week.

I dont plan to do anything extravigant. Just want to make it look a bit more modern but still keep it on a budget. I know its hard to say but do those estimates sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Hope this helps

Also dont forget costs to strip out existing kitchen/bathroom/ carpet and cost of tip fees and transporting to the tip.

couple of things i noticed missing - Kitchen benchtop and waterproofing in the bathroom...

Excellent info on prices from Celeste

Hi Zayne

Celeste figures would be pretty close to what you will spend for the items listed, but as the others have mentioned you may not have a complete list, the odds and ends soon add up.

Have you considered what value a complete renow. would add, allowing you to redraw a % of your increased equity plus increase the rent.

I bought 2x70's villa units in Melb. last year, gutted both and completely renow'ed each.

1st unit- April $390000 + $25000 Renow. (Interest for renow. 8.77%= $2192 p.a.)
Estimated rent before renow.= $14560
rent = $18720
---------------
$4160 rent gain $1968

Bank val. came in this week at $460000

2nd unit- Oct $450000+ $30000 renow. (Interest on renow. 8.77%= $2631)
Estimated rent before renow. =$16120
rent =$21840
-----------
$5720 rent gain $3089

Bank val. came in this week at $590000

Will redraw 80% of increased equity and leave in an offset acc.for future opportunities.

I may be biased but I think the vals. were on the conservative side.

regards

Peter

Oh I forgot

Best thing to do is grab a pen and paper and walk thru the apartment and make alist of everything you would expect in that room.

check window lock etc always a problem on old buildings. others door hinges and handles / toilet roll holders / towel rails etc etc.

Keep an eye on my thread I just started re a 1x bed apartment reno with costings as I go... keep in mind I am in Perth - labour etc really expensive.

Prices for your parts and fittings etc seem OKish, but I think you seriously underestimated the cost of labour and how many hours of labour can be req'd.

Also, there are always a lot of other things usually forgotten like cleaning, damages, unexpected extras/little stuff that can really add up.

I don't know if you are hands on or not, but if you are able to, manage all this minor stuff youself and keep the jobsite clean, and it will save you money.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually forgot a few things come to think of it such as towel rails, light fittings etc. And of course the cleanup. Will need to get a good list happening. Does anyone have a checklist of some sort which they use and dont mind sharing?

Hi. I would be looking at Ebay for the following items. You can save a lot of money. But it takes a little time. Lots of the items have "buy it now" prices so no need to wait or get into a bidding war.

Sink
Taps
Oven, Stove and rangehood
Toilet system
Bathtub
Shower screen for bathtub/shower
Vanity
Taps
Fan
Mirror

A lot of the sellers also have factories where you can visit and buy stuff cheaper. I hate paying full price for anything. I'm a bargainer.
Good luck.

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually forgot a few things come to think of it such as towel rails, light fittings etc. And of course the cleanup. Will need to get a good list happening. Does anyone have a checklist of some sort which they use and dont mind sharing?

Hi,

Got the pdf one from a friend. I have my own which i had made in XL. Am attaching both. See if this helps.

Cheers

Attachments

• Renovation Checklist.jpg
    Renovation Checklist.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 82 Collin - Reno activity sheet.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 132
Wow! My labor costs were way out. I started the reno last week and this is roughly what its going to cost me:

Kitchen:
Cupboards and benchtops - Bunnings flat pack style - $4300
Tiles - Standard plain white for splashbacks - $200
Sink - Keeping old one
Taps - Keeping old one
Oven, Stove and rangehood - Keeping old stove and oven. Replacing rangehood for $60

Bathroom:
Toilet system - $100
Bathtub - Decided to rip out and go for shower base and screen instead
Shower - $600
Vanity - $150
Taps - $200
Fan - Keeping old one
Tiles for floor and walls - 500
Mirror - $20

Other:
Carpet - Still to get but quotes of around $600
Paint - $200
Blinds - Keeping old ones
Interior doors - Keeping old ones
Labour to fit appliances in kitchen - 300
Labour to plumb sink and all bathroom stuff - $2300!
Tiler to tile splashback in kitchen and bathroom - $1800!

Plus all the odds and ends that arent on the list above. Looks like the reno is going to go over budget for sure. Then again, I did end up changing a lot of things from the original plans such as moving plumbing and tiling pretty much all of the bathroom walls. :rolleyes:

OK here,s a heads up on how easily these things go so out of budjet???
Vanity $300 thats great! we have the mixer/tap and spindle to purchase , nice plug and waste or the fancy one?? two easy hookers and changing the water to be able to fit the new style hookers, the trap may only be say $40 but what work do you have to do to get it to fit to the existing sewer, will you need a plumer for the fitting as well as the change over, green plugs, screws a tupe of silicon it just gets out of controll very easily and how many times are you going to visit the hard were stor for the wrong bits, good luck although i can see perhaps $600 on the vanity???

Vanity only cost me $150 off ebay. Was brand new. Actually most of the stuff such as tiles etc came off ebay which helped keep costs down.

craigb

Vanity only cost me $150 off ebay. Was brand new. Actually most of the stuff such as tiles etc came off ebay which helped keep costs down.

great savings and good luck with that, and note that my other reply was just an example of where it can get out of controll, looking forward to seeing the photo spread as you go.

I have a cheap@rse reno to do. Need lots of tiles for it ... local tiles are $25/sqm which is fine for the IP but for the PPoR that's like ridiculous overcapitalisation.

So where does one get really cheap white wall tiles? :D

If youve got time, check out Ebay. Thats where I got mine from. You get heaps of people who buy extras and never use them so end up selling them on Ebay. I managed to pick up about 15 sq meters of wall tiles for $80 or so and 9 sq meters of porcelin floor tiles for $70. Its good if you are not in a hurry to find them as they pop up now and then.

15! Geez that's what I call overbuying lol

I've ordered the floor tiles through a 'proper' retailer just cos I need 40sqm of them (bit out of leftovers league) but ebay sounds good for the wall tiles!

Well 6 weeks after starting, the reon is finally completed. I managed to redo the whole kitchen, bathroom, build BIR in 1 bedroom, sand floors, clean carpets, repaint and a few other bits and pieces for $9000 for materials and $6000 for tradies. Turned out being a bit more then what I expected but then again, I also ended up doing other things which wasnt planned in the initial reno plans.

Very happy with the results. Had the PM come in and take some pics for the advert for rental. They have advised that the rental increase would be approx $60-70 extra per week after the reno. See the following link for pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62405&id=625113330&l=e12d8

Well 6 weeks after starting, the reon is finally completed. I managed to redo the whole kitchen, bathroom, build BIR in 1 bedroom, sand floors, clean carpets, repaint and a few other bits and pieces for $9000 for materials and $6000 for tradies.

Looks great Zayne! How much of the work did you do yourself?

Back