how to deal with petty office politics

In an ideal world, the office is like a big family and everyone likes each other and treats others with honesty and respect. Ideal world doesn't exist, except on SS forum. There are backstabbers, yes men (or women), those who climbs the corporate ladder even if that means trampling on the coworkers - human nature at its worst. The main reason I seek financial independence thru property investing is I am sick of this rubbish. There is this contractor at work, not sure if he's trying to get a permanent position, all the below the belt tactics (belittling, putting down, boasting his work etc) he has me fuming all easter weekend. I just sent him and his boss an email to tell him off. Not sure if I've done the right thing. I saw these 2 men at work, both in their 50s, one can feel the tension in the air whenever they are in the same room. It has been going on for many years, just think two men get up every morning and anticipate to lock horns daily. The problem was not resolved until one moved to another department then left the company. I am not quite financial independent yet, but I just have enough, life is too short to put up with this BS. How do you deal with this some would call "a fact of working life" problem ? Do you just ignore difficult people at work, pretend they don't exist, tell them off, bail out to find a more pleasant way to make a living.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, the office is like a big family and everyone likes each other and treats others with honesty and respect. .

In an ideal world, everyone in a big family likes each other and treats others with honesty and respect :D.... funny how I seem to get more honesty and respect for each other in the office.....

I try to take office politics as fun... although yes it can be trying. It's a challenge like any other, and I try to tie it in with my position - i.e. as a manager, I feel it's part of my job to be dealing with the politics in my team, as well as that above me. I do tend to externalise it a bit - step back and observe from an academic standpoint.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yes it seems people have different degrees of tolerance. But I found as I get older and a bit more equity my tolerance for the rubbish is very low.

Last edited:
Yes it seems people have different degrees of tolerance. But I find as I get older and a bit more equity my tolerance for the rubbish is very low.

Companies these days are pulling the efficiency strings and life at work can be difficult.

I found that as our workload has got heavier we get stressed out easily and argue even about little things. Work and family commitments can be too much for some people and they get easily upset.

Take a step back and reconsider your whole situation and also consider your other options.

If you can't think of a solution take a long vacation and then try again :)

cheers

Yes it seems people have different degrees of tolerance. But I found as I get older and a bit more equity my tolerance for the rubbish is very low.

That's interesting - it's kind of been the opposite for me. As work started to mean less as an income source, and more a source of daily "occupation" (to keep my mind occupied and challenged), it also became more entertaining.

Cheers,

The Y-man

When you start waking up in the morning agonising about going to work, its time to find another job. Life's too short and I have found, that sort of situation never gets any better

Ideal world doesn't exist, except on SS forum.
lmao! Got any more jokes?

life is too short to put up with this BS. How do you deal with this some would call "fact of working life" problem ? Do you just ignore difficult people at work, pretend they don't exist, tell them off, bail out to find a more pleasant way to make a living.

Why are you making their problems your problems? Dont you have enough of your own?
It's a fact of all life, not working life.
Your paid to do a job, you do it to the best of your ability, and conduct yourself in a professional manner ignoring all personal issues.
You talk & refer to the work not the person.
If refered to in a personal way, then just ask questions like "Why do you think that?" "what makes you say that?" "is there a problem with the work?" etc Always going back to the details of the job.

They are clearly bored with their lives and have nothing else to worry about.
So far sounds like you been joining their club. But maybe life can be a little more exciting and fulfilling.
It's what YOU make it.

So from now on, go to work and tell everyone it's a beautiful day every time the ask "how ya going". And if they don't, remind them anyway.
Soon they'll avoid you like the plague.

Very good advice The Y-man, BV, celica, Piston Broke. My dislike of petty office politics has always been the main reason to invest in property (don't want to hear the dirty words share and super !). Now it gives me the option of running my own business and have a go.

Investing in property is'nt going to pay you bills for quite a few years, so need to get used to focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel cause there's going to be a lot of pot holes.

i had a job with a VERY annoying individual once. we used to lock horns every friday when he did a stint in our department.

one paintball gun, 100 rounds of ammo and 3 people in the same boat as me to say nothing happened made sure we were never harassed again.

best 23 seconds of revenge ever.

don't want to hear the dirty words share and super !).

Why do you say this?
My super is doing quite well atm.

If you had your super invested in cash it would be doing quite well as well
http://www.australiansuper.com/investments_performance-history.aspx

It's now a little late to change over to cash because the damage is already done and you'll miss the upswing but you could put some of your salary in super and only pay 15% tax (instead of 30 or 40%) and use that amount plus your 9% employer contributions to buy shares.

Now it's the right time to be doing these sort of things don't be upset about the recent super performance, take control of your situation and forget office politics

IMHO

Workplace politics is like a rattlesnake - best to be avoided.

It exists in every workplace on earth I'm certain.

Just do your best, ignore those that don't and be free.

We have a lot of idiots at work. Us smart ones are sick of fixing up their mistakes. If the coy employed competent people with good communication and organisational skills most of the problems, or issues as they are now called would not occur.
I know it is hard not to get involved. I call it being passionate about my job, but then I find I am still thinking about it at 7.00 pm. I am now trying to let go and just do my job and play dumb, it's easier...

I am now trying to let go and just do my job and play dumb, it's easier...
yeah look at it as a bit of fun, it would be very boring if everyone was perfect like us? ;)
In fact if all employees were good you wouldn't need as many and we would be out of a job :eek:

Back