How to know between Buyer or Seller market ?

Hi Everyone,

How does one know if the current market is in favour of Buyer or seller ?

is there any indicator to look to determine those condition ?

Thanks.

The newspaper keeps saying it's a buyers market right now... technically speaking it is ...but from my experiences it's an even market ( for Sydney anyway)

I find that property prices are still high, discounting still exists...but the prices are still high either way. What i find in fact are prices are stable, but "VOLUME" of sales is much lower...and with rate at 7% sellers are happy and comfortable to hold on a bit longer :(

Regards
Michael

Signs of a sellers market
  • Packed open homes (though you shouldn't confuse people "looking" and people "buying" - you've got to put pen to paper to create demand)
  • Days on market falling (a reduction in the average time it takes for a property to sell)
  • Multiple offers on properties (bidding wars)
  • High auction clearance rates
  • Properties under contract after (or even before in some cases) the first viewing
  • Talk in the media about a surge in the real estate market
  • More OTP sales

Signs of a buyers market
  • Empty open homes
  • Days on market rising (opposite of above)
  • Vendors becoming increasingly open to low-ball offers and / or "non conventional" offer terms and / or accepting offers with more caveats on them (just so they have something on paper)
  • Low auction clearance rates
  • Talk in the media about a slumping market
  • Increased signs of distressed sellers (mortgagee sales) - though this may apply more to individual properties and your ability to negotiate hard on them, as opposed to weakness in the overall market

It's overly simplistic to assume that reductions in any asking price are an indication (per se) of a weak market - they might be, or it could also be that sellers just got realistic about previously unrealistic asking prices.

It is also important to remember that no-one has a perfect crystal ball - the "market" at any given point in time (for any given type of property in any given location) can be extremely fluid. The best you can do is negotiate fair (legally) and hard, whether you're a buyer or a seller (it's basically a zero sum game, after all).

Today's bargain could be tomorrow's falling knife.

And today's "buyers remorse" (paying too much) could be tomorrow's "I'm a genius for buying that!".

Had agent ring me yesterday as a followup from an email I'd sent him months ago (and had forgotten about) about wanting to buy a particular type of property for our next PPOR. He had a property listed in the street we'd like but it had a brand new, dog ugly, mcmansion on it.

He rang about a property he's about to list later this week ... sorry mate, it's about 20% overpriced. I may be keen but I'm not stupid.

Will wait a few months to see if anyone else is gulliable - if not, will make a low offer as is deceased estate and the kids want it sold.

Back