How to motivate a son?

My son 17 has been buying boards for skateboards from the US (and Sydney when the dollar was down) since the age of 13...

Just like the boy described in the op, who sells cans at school, this is awesome!

So what inspired/motivated your son to get into business Weg? Very impressive at the age of 13!

So what inspired/motivated your son to get into business Weg? Very impressive at the age of 13!

He didn't exactly go out looking for a product to sell.

After a couple of years of skateboarding he graduated onto jumping off ledges onto the skateboard, doing kick flips and other tricks that the $100 board would sometimes last only 3 to 4 weeks... on one occasion 2 :eek:.

Not being too impressed at giving him money so frequently he started buying cheap boards off Ebay for himself... then in bulk... and then to sell to others :).

I do give him credit though for seeing the opportunity and acting on it.

Hiya

My son comes back from his really "posh" private school yesterday and was musing his thots...

Apparently one of the school's "richer" kids is flogging off school cans for $2 each after school at the gates and making lots of pocket money in the process..
Apparently rich daddy is spearheading the whole attempt.

I thot; what a great idea....

So, i am going to provide seed money to my son to start a small enterprise; i don't really care if he makes a profit or loss; i just want to make him appreciate the value of money and hard work as well boost his self confidence...he has agreed to try it but i think the soft drinks/chips/lollies market is already cornered...

Any suggestions?

The spelling for thoughts is...thoughts.

Motivating my son

Hiya

Thanks for all your replies (plus the spelling correction! i stand chastised! ha!)

I am going to show this thread to my son, who btw is 14!

His Strengths: very quick minded; numerically literate (if there's such a thing!)
has a dogged attitude; very good looking (hey! that's an asset!)

His Weaknesses: quite "lazy"; wants to make money with the least physical effort (so any physical work is out).

He pulled in $150 busking on his sax for 2 hours at Westfields during Xmas time and then gave up because it was "hard work".

He then pulled in $100 over three weeks just by watering the neighbours' plants and collecting mail (that was too easy money)

He once also played some computer game till he reached quite a high level and flogged off at ebay for $20; that was hard work too!

Actually, i'm now veering towards some ebay stuff selling! Any suggestions for a 14 year old boy to sell anything over ebay?

Hiya

My son comes back from his really "posh" private school yesterday and was musing his thots...

Apparently one of the school's "richer" kids is flogging off school cans for $2 each after school at the gates and making lots of pocket money in the process..Apparently rich daddy is spearheading the whole attempt.

I thot; what a great idea....

So, i am going to provide seed money to my son to start a small enterprise; i don't really care if he makes a profit or loss; i just want to make him appreciate the value of money and hard work as well boost his self confidence...he has agreed to try it but i think the soft drinks/chips/lollies market is already cornered...

Any suggestions?

What's a school can, never heard of it :confused:

You didn't mention what age he was, but perhaps a local delivery round, where he can put great swaths of really annoying advertising material into every else's letterbox.

Great exercise for him on the pushie, no face to face selling and he'll definitely learn the effort required to turn a dollar.
I investigated doing this about 12 years ago, when I had a decent-paying job, just for the "compulsion to exercise". I knew I wouldn't make any significant money out of it, but the pay is so incredibly low that it wouldn't even have covered my car-running costs. I was happy not to make anything significant, but I wasn't prepared to pay to work. :D I have no idea how they find anybody willing to do it!
Dazz said:
Moved onto helping the local milko, running like a mad chook off the back of a ute.
My hubby also did this as a lad. The hilarious part is that his Mum used to feel so sorry for him at working so hard that she'd buy him Maccas for dinner afterwards, as a treat. She spent more on the Maccas than he earned on the milk run. :D

I worked heaps of jobs as a teenager. Pharmacy assistant, shop assistant in a takeaway, retail, tutoring (those were the good bucks!), and helping out with dinner at a local nursing home (dish up all the meals, take them to the old folk, once I delivered the last one, the first one was ready to collect, collect them all, wash all the dishes). Tutoring definitely was the cushiest; I had one family who paid me $60 for two hours of tutoring their 16yo daughter who had CFS, 20 years ago :cool: - but it was still exchanging time for money.
Apparently one of the school's "richer" kids is flogging off school cans for $2 each after school at the gates and making lots of pocket money in the process..
I think he meant soft drink cans. ;)

We live just a couple of doors away from a very large high school, and I've considered whether I could get away with doing something similar, without getting in trouble for "running a business" from my house. I may get away with it being a "hobby" to give the local kids a cold drink on their way home from school, and in return, they drop a "donation" in a box...

There are no shops nearby, and certainly nothing between the school and the bus stop, and hundreds of hot and bothered kids walk by, wilting in the Brissie heat every afternoon. The local primary school, whose kids presumably have less cash, is next door to a 7-11, and that 7-11 absolutely cleans up with the after-school slushee trade. They're about $4 each, and I reckon he sells 30 or 40 in the half-hour straight after school. Not a bad little earner... maybe I should buy a slushee machine... hmmmmm

There are no shops nearby, and certainly nothing between the school and the bus stop, and hundreds of hot and bothered kids walk by, wilting in the Brissie heat every afternoon. The local primary school, whose kids presumably have less cash, is next door to a 7-11, and that 7-11 absolutely cleans up with the after-school slushee trade. They're about $4 each, and I reckon he sells 30 or 40 in the half-hour straight after school. Not a bad little earner... maybe I should buy a slushee machine... hmmmmm

I'm getting mental images of the cliched 2c lemonade stand with an umbrella over the top set up in your front yard :D

Yep (just my friends, not myself of course). And I will even admit to charging the year 7 kids to drink from the water bubbler in the year 12 area where we sat. :eek:

My older brother was the school pawn-broker. I remember his bedroom at home being full of 'stuff' that his school friends had hocked.

As a kid I used to live on a back country farm and at certain times I would catch baby goats ( Kids ) when they were a week old or so then I would advertise them in the paper and sell them as pets . The trouble was goats don't breed all year round so that was a bit limiting :confused:

Later when I was 15 or so I would hunt wild pigs and sell the carcase to the gamemeat guys for good money ! Had a hell of a time too :D

There are a lot of parallels between hunting and investing IMO :rolleyes:

My own son is 15 and he earns a few dollars cleaning windows and selling some doodads on ebay . Typically he wants to spend most of his earnings on more computer games but we are working on that ;) It aint right ....

He'll appreciate money if he realises that, if he doesn't try and make an effort to make a living ofr himself, there'll be nothing left for him because his parents certainly aren't leaving him anything.

Giving him money to start a 'small enterprise' achieves the exact opposite effect, and reminds me of my relative who recently blew some $80k just to get some architectural concept design plan in his first business venture (a bar) only to not go ahead because he doesn't like his dad picking on him (ie making sure he follows things up).

Easy come, easy go. Telling him it doesn't matter whether he makes a profit is the worse advice a parent could give.

drive him thru drossville on the way to a mercedes dealership for a look, demonstrate the diff between the haves and have nots. The rest he can figure out himself. he may not care one way or the other.

Funny, I thought of this thread yesterday, when I asked my son if the Pepsi Max I put in his lunch box had perked him up (he was up studying till 2.30am the night before).

He said no, because he'd sold it for $3.00 :D to pay back a debt :mad:.

That sounds quite enterprising of him Weg - encourage that! Buy a case of 24 cans for what $1 (?) each and get him to sell them off every week. ;)

Well actually, I gave him another today and asked him if he sold that too, and he said no :(.

Still, most schools don't sell any soft drinks now, so I'm sure there's money in it.

You can get cans for 40 cents each on special, or there's alway's that 'Right Price' place to buy from... 24 cans for something like $8. Mind you some taste funny, and don't have the 'right' colour (QA failures).

That sounds quite enterprising of him Weg - encourage that! Buy a case of 24 cans for what $1 (?) each and get him to sell them off every week. ;)

I have a small fridge next to my desk at the office where I sell cold cans of soft drink for a dollar each (the machine downstairs charges $1.50).

It makes about $100 every 6 weeks or so, and I use the money to take the team out to lunch at the pub!

I have a small fridge next to my desk at the office where I sell cold cans of soft drink for a dollar each (the machine downstairs charges $1.50).

is it your business? just wondering who is paying for the electricity and floor space? and time it takes to serve?

Back