How can we help our son to choose what he wants to do at uni?

Our 17 year old son has a week to put in his choices (six?) for uni. He is unsure what he wants to do at uni, unsure even if he wants to go to uni, but we think he is better served to chose six courses and apply for them so that he has the option.

His issue is that he has no idea what he wants to do. He spoke to a friend recently who is studying law, but is now working full time whilst studying. He said if he had his time again, he would do a business degree because there are so many careers or jobs that would benefit from having a business degree.

He thought that with a business degree, in the first year, there was no need to choose which direction to head, but that one would get a taste of eight different subjects and one would hopefully "click" with one and decide to head in that direction.

The other degree I've heard about is an Arts Degree. I've heard this is the "Clayton Degree" or that it is not worth the paper it is written on. These are not my words, and I have no idea what is involved in an Arts Degree, but it seems to have a stigma of "didn't know what to do at uni... so did an Arts Degree".

I don't want him to decide not to apply, and then in five months decide he made a mistake but I'm not against him getting a job and deciding over the next year or so whether he wants to study.

We've discussed this over the weekend and jobs he has expressed some glimmer of interest in have been architect, town planner. But he really is just plucking things from the air. He also mentioned being a teacher, but again, I think he is just totally lost.

Any wise words, any advice about what he could do as a general "heading in the right direction" sort of degree.

Back in my day, I got a job in a bank, but could just have easily gone into the council, insurance company, state government. I'm guessing those "easy" jobs are not so easy without a degree these days? Do insurance companies, banks and government departments take on school leavers these days? I know they might want graduates, but what about the general back office work, telling as the entry point for these types of employers.

He isn't interested in doing plumbing or electrical apprenticeships. He is an average student, with study he could have been doing much better. He has a quick brain, but he is lazy, and my other concern is having gone through school with minimal work and almost no study, whether uni would be a huge shock to him. He has worked hard this year, but until this year, he coasted through on minimal work.

He's lost, and we don't know what to suggest to him.

I thought those here on Somersoft might have some insight into this little dilemma.

The first year of uni is usually pretty common amongst a certain career. EG. construction management and engineering, a lot of similar subjects can be exempted if you decide to switch.

Similarly, each course has 3-4 exemptions so regardless of what you do, you can switch over and not loose any time over the first 6 months.

The decision is his, and I've had friends switch over many MANY times and graduate in their 30's, whilst others knew what they wanted all along and finished quicker than everyone else. It really depends on the individual.

Whilst people may not know what they want to do, they tend to sit around contemplating the meaning of life. What helped me was doing 1-2 week internships in different career paths to figure out what I liked and talking with individuals who were graduating.

At the time, not going to uni didn't even seem like an option. I plucked engineering out of thin air to start, a guy came over to do some extensions on my parents place the week I needed to submit my choices and I just wrote it down. But I loved it in the end.

I had at that point however, realized IT, Law, Medicine, etc wasn't for me after dabbling in the industries (not sure I could have gotten in if I wanted though, lol).

The advice I've given my little cousin who is finishing year 12 now has been to think of the lifestyle she wants too. I'm a site engineer, can't work from home very effectively (aka at all). But if I was an accountant or mortgage broker I could work from anywhere.

If I was to do it again and with the direction I have now, I wouldn't have gone to uni. BUT if you are the average person just wanting to cruise as I was at the time, UNI is the way to go IMO. Increases chances of getting a cruisier, higher paying job.

I would think the best option would be to apply for generalist degrees in areas he is interestedin. Eg. Science, arts, business. Many of the subjects can be used for credit when he decides and switches over. And first year in many courses are pretty generalist anyway. Maybe a year at tafe would be an idea too. More real world learning which may be a break from the school mentality. You can do business and others you mentioned there. And in many courses you transfer over, get full credit for subjects done and have a huge advantage over the ones that do uni straight through. Plus it is cheaper.

Or if he gets to the end of year 12 and he still isn't sure. Maybe a gap year?

As to hard work, it depends on the course. Many have little contact hours and minimal homework. Others are pretty full on.

Hi Wylie.

I've got 2 arts degrees - it was an expensive way to study somethings I was interested in.

I would encourage him to look at all the subjects of a the uni he is interested in, and then work out what degree he has to enroll in to be able to study these.

Have a look at that Open Universities program too. subjects via distance education

(then I would encourage him to not go to uni at all, but become an apprentice builder and start earning money and learning a useable skill. Uni is for a hobby once you retire)

He's lost, and we don't know what to suggest to him.

I thought those here on Somersoft might have some insight into this little dilemma.

What are his passions in life? What are his hobbies? What gets him excited?

Perhaps he can make enquiries about current or projected shortages of qualified staff in various fields then consider which of those will take him to places he wants to see or give him a lifestyle he would enjoy.

At least this would narrow down the field of choice and give him a better chance of employment success after graduation

Get him to work out what he likes and doesn't like in regards to the type of work environment he wants to be in, ie. likes to work with people/alone, indoors/outdoors, a bit of each, with his hands, computers, drawing/designing, etc.

Then get out the course handbooks that the school gave him and make some lists of courses fitting different criteria.

my son also made out a list for 'degrees that lead to a job in the field'!

He included all sorts of degrees which led him to look more closely into less popular and less known courses which is how and where he found something that fit his criteria.

Fortunately for him it's worked out well and he really likes the course content and the job - presently doing a placement.

That said, he earned $570 on Saturday doing something completely unrelated that doesn't require qualifications and said to me that he's doesn't know why he's bothering with uni.

Last edited:
Ask him what he thinks he would like and get him to try it out, either through uni or through internship etc.

Very few uni students know what they want to do when they started, and human are inherently bad at predicting what they will like if they have not tried them.

I only know two people in my life who know what they want long before everyone else.
  1. My sister who decided to be an architect when she was in high school
  2. A friend of mine who decided to be a chef and skip uni - He is back to uni now to change career as a physio therapist. Still a very happy lad.

There are various way to go about it. And his life won't be ruined if he spend 1-2 years finding what he wants to do.

What subjects is he doing now at High School? (beyond the math / english core stuff)

Would he consider a Gap Year?

Fast forward 10 years does he have any idea of what he wants to do?

(Not that it is a lifelong decision because changing careers / retraining is very common these days)

Our 17 year old son has a week to put in his choices (six?) for uni.

IIRC it is up to 6 choices... doesn't mean you have to fill them all up.

He spoke to a friend recently who is studying law, but is now working full time whilst studying. He said if he had his time again, he would do a business degree because there are so many careers or jobs that would benefit from having a business degree.

Law, like accounting, opens many doors.... and it is just as well, because law enrollments have ballooned in the past 20 years and there are now more law grads than there are annual openings for lawyers. It is also an extremely demanding course (not mentally tough) - but you'd have to like reading hundreds of pages every week of (frankly) pretty dry crap.

The other degree I've heard about is an Arts Degree. I've heard this is the "Clayton Degree" or that it is not worth the paper it is written on. These are not my words, and I have no idea what is involved in an Arts Degree, but it seems to have a stigma of "didn't know what to do at uni... so did an Arts Degree".

The BA gets a bad wrap imo.

But, truth be told, this is about finding a job. a BA with a DipEd (or an MTeach as it will be) then he could become a school teacher...

Or if he did something like politics / economics on the side -> public service.

He thought that with a business degree, in the first year, there was no need to choose which direction to head, but that one would get a taste of eight different subjects and one would hopefully "click" with one and decide to head in that direction

typical majors in a "business" degree (including a BCom / BBA, etc) are:

Accounting -> always a door opener, but dry like plain weetbix in your mouth
Economics -> applicable to many situations, but you'd better like math
Finance -> applied microeconomics by another name
Marketing -> if you're creative...
Management -> Don't (really, don't)
HRM -> Did it but never worked in the field, was interesting (more the IR side of things)
IT -> useful
Supply Chain Mgt / Logistics Mgt -> also useful
International Business -> Like a mgt major with a world map thrown in imo

Last edited:
OP

I should have added...

I'm 37 and I'm still trying to work out what I want to do in life...

I did fill in all 6 options when I did my UAC form back in 1993 (I can still remember what they were btw) even though I knew I was only ever going to do #1 on the list since the TER cut-off was well below what I expected to get.

I went to uni, collected a degree (business).

Started a career I hated, quit and went back to uni and did another degree and a graduate diploma (despite having an attention span ostensibly barely longer than a goldfish....)

Since then I've worked in the halls of Canberra, and the high rises of the Sydney CBD, to the low rises of a regional city.....

I've flirted with everything from the idea of a law degree, to a PhD in economics, to school teaching, to a few other things....

..and now find myself surrounded by fields of Deer and Barley (literally)

And I am still not 100% sure of what happens next career wise....

C'est la mon vie ;)

Has he spoken to the careers advisor at the school? Often a good place to open discussions. Otherwise TAFE/Uni can assist with course selections.

Is he an indoors or outdoors person ie don't choose accounting if he hates office work or being stuck indoors?

There is also a glut of mining engineers at present but always something going in IT. Is teaching an option?

If he hasn't applied himself to date, what sort of mark is he aiming for at matriculation? Where will that get him?

I had a group of 10 friends at school, 9 of them went to uni and only 1 worked/s in a field related to their degree. One has gone back to study part time to do what she wants.

I think when you're in your teens it's too young to be decided what to do career wise then have to dedicate 3-5 years for something you won't necessarily won't to do by the end of it.

Can he do some short tafe courses or work experience to get an idea of what he wants to do?

What gets him excited?
While I was doing Engineering, Marketing or Phycology class rooms always excited me ;)

Like others said, the first year is common within a discipline. Doing a first year of a Maths or IT degree can be useful for many other degrees.
Sales related study can be useful in any field too. I recon technical capabilities take you to a certain level. You need the sales (or management) skills to go beyond that. May be this is from my personal experience :)

Have you been going to uni open days with him?

What are his passions in life? What are his hobbies? What gets him excited?

A few years ago, he was keen on working with wood and we talked about whether he wanted to try to get some work as a carpenter or making furniture. He was making small hidden opening boxes, cutting aluminium to make names to hang off key rings. He draws well and is funny, a great mimic too.

He used to say (a few years ago) that he didn't want to sit at a desk, but now he seems to have changed his mind. I just don't know if he feels like "everybody is going to uni" and therefore he must go too.

He's a latecomer to gaming, and loves x-box. He's only just got his first mobile phone and only probably a month ago joined Facebook, so he's not the normal "follow the crowd" young man. He cares what people think of him, hates that his white shirts are a bit grey, but doesn't care that his pants and blazer have sat on his floor for the holidays under the rest of his clothes and never brushes his hair... go figure :D.

We're going to a talk at his school tomorrow night and I've asked him to make an appointment with the career adviser at school, but I reckon he won't do that. We've not gone to open days because I felt like we would just wander around aimlessly.

I felt we made more headway after our discussion with the law student friend and his thoughts than anything. But I like the idea of him doing some tafe courses.

Thanks for the replies so far. Food for thought in many of them. I think I'll get him to read this thread to see what resonates with him.

Happy to hear any more ideas...

PS. We did go to the open days for QUT which was where oldest won wanted to study architecture (changed his mind from law). So we had a purpose for the day. He did 2.5 years and changed course, got a job, bought a unit, has now bought half a house with his partner, and they are looking at buying another house. He is 24. He is talking of doing a business degree part time to boost his earning capacity.

Next son wanted to do engineering, so we didn't need to do anything to help him decide.

Sounds to me he isn't very passionate about anything in particular and until he finds out what that is he'll just drift in a career until he finds out what he really wants to do (and that might be 10 years down the track...).

If he wants a really general degree that he can do a lot with I'd pick a commerce degree. And some of those courses can be used as credit for other degrees if he switches after his 1st year.

So many different career paths from that degree such as...

- Government
- Banking
- Finance
- Accounting
- Business Admin
- Etc

An Arts degree? lol, I know of someone who has just finished a PHD in Philosophy or something and after what would have been 10 - 11 years at Uni he now works in retail on minimum wage...

I'm with Mark on the gap year idea. If possible, work for six months and travel for six months. Europe and USA are where most people go, but the money goes a lot further in Asia and Latin America. Or he could get a working visa for Canada or England.

Daughter #1 went straight into uni- and that lasted a month. She was also working and enjoying spending, so there was not enough time left after working for study. She ended up travelling.

Daughter #2 worked like a trojan for some months, to get enough money for travelling. She's been away for 18 months now, travelling Latin America (she's 20). She has had a wonderful time, and has used her time to firm up ideas on what she wants to do. It may well involve her own business.

Back