how to read this forum at work

I learn a lot from this forum. But my problem is I don't have much time after work to read all the threads (I have 2 young kids and need to spend time with them). How do people read this forum at work without being obvious. Sometimes I copy & paste a thread in wordpad, but is there a better way ?

Cutting and pasting - wow, what an idea! :) Luckily, I just have so many sessions of all sorts of things open on 2 monitors, that somersoft blends in.... comsec is a bit harder to hide (colors are a giveaway).....

Cheers,

The Y-man

It might help if you change the forum skin.

This can be done through your User CP, go to edit options and down the bottom select the Somersoft plain forum skin.

It gives it a more plain look that hopefully wont be as noticeable at work.

Ruby :)

thanks guys :
Y-man, does that mean you minimize all the windows, I find it a bit hard to read
sorry sailor, I don't think I can squeeze in another hour in one day
Ruby, I changed to Somersoft plain forum skin and it definitely helps.
But I think what gives it away is the heading in the IE browser - Somersoft Property Invesment Forums, is there a way to remove/change it to something else, like 'Man Hard At Work' !

I just got into work. The first thing I do is read all the un-read Somersoft posts :) I have about 31 Somersoft browser windows open at the moment - I'll knock them off one by one :D I then have another Somersoft session around lunch time, then another one just before I knock off for the day. The work environment is very laid back here and people just do as they choose, so I guess I'm lucky.

Maybe try using Firefox? It allows you to open up many pages in the one browser window, all tabbed.

Alternatively you could maybe get a government job? :D

Cheers,
Ozi

Everytime there is an office move or I start a new job I ensure no one can creep up on me and see my screen. Screen always should face a wall.

I have been lucky so far ! My new job ( which I will be starting soon ) comes with an office. :D

Well, as an employer, I think you should read somersoft during your lunch break, but not on your employers time! Then you don't have to feel guilty or try to hide what you are doing.

I think that we reap what we sow, so if you are ripping off your employers time, then in the end it comes back to bite you!

Pen

Well, as an employer, I think you should read somersoft during your lunch break, but not on your employers time! Then you don't have to feel guilty or try to hide what you are doing.

I think that we reap what we sow, so if you are ripping off your employers time, then in the end it comes back to bite you!

Pen
Penny, I don't think it's a matter of ripping off the employer's time. My workload is not constant, when I am busy I don't go to lunch, I work 16 hour day several days straight, I work weekends couple of months at a time. In a modern work environment it is give or take. I don't know what business you are in but nowadays work balance and flexibility are the keys and it is a matter of accomplish as much as possible in a 24 hour day. I do not feel guilty or try to hide what I am doing, but by the same token I don't want to broadcast to everyone in the office that I am investing in property.

Try using RSS - I dont use it to avoid being caught at work but it could be used for this situation

It makes the forum text based and makes it look more work like. A lot of web sites are using RSS for forums and to distribute web page updates.

There are a stack of RSS clients out there - a good free one is Sharpreader

I do not feel guilty or try to hide what I am doing, but by the same token I don't want to broadcast to everyone in the office that I am investing in property.

LOL out of all the absurd comments i have read on this forum over the years that one would be right up there. Maybe you shouldn't have post this first...

How do people read this forum at work without being obvious. Sometimes I copy & paste a thread in wordpad, but is there a better way ?

Hey if it's such an issue for you and your working these 16 hour days why dont you have a chat to your boss who can get the IT department on to this problem of how to hide what your doing on the net lol

Or better still if you dont have enough work ask your boss if theres more you can take on!! :eek: :D

sorry to vent, but im also an employer and find the excuses here hillarious at best.

I just sit here and read it.
One of several forums I spend my hours a day browsing.

My immediate supervisor can see my screen, so can my line manager.
I still make no attempt to hide it.

As long as, when work needs to be dnoe, I do it, and they know I do, what I do in down time, as long as its not offensive, etc, they're not fussed.

I just sit here and read it.
One of several forums I spend my hours a day browsing.

My immediate supervisor can see my screen, so can my line manager.
I still make no attempt to hide it.

As long as, when work needs to be dnoe, I do it, and they know I do, what I do in down time, as long as its not offensive, etc, they're not fussed.

I agree, and anyway I am sure it would be easy if they (the evil employers ;) )were so inclined to monitor who was looking at what web sites and for how long straight from the server without even having to look at your screens.

Y-man, does that mean you minimize all the windows

No, I have multiple panes open (right now I am looking at 2 email inboxes, 3 CRM screens, one call queue monitor and 3 browsers....)

I can read the posts while I am telling my clients to restart their computer :D (joys of an IT helpdesk)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I agree, and anyway I am sure it would be easy if they (the evil employers ;) )were so inclined to monitor who was looking at what web sites and for how long straight from the server without even having to look at your screens.

yep. I know there are people in our organisation who can do that.
maybe not my line managers and such, but they can, if they choose, request a report as to what i'm browsing

Employers can monitor websites. It's in most employee handbooks that employers can monitor all email and internet usage.

Me, I just use it. Try not to stare at it for too long if my boss is behind me, but I don't care. They don't like it, fire me, because I feel they're paying me to do my job, not necessarily work every minute I'm there. I take the same attitude to people I supervise: I don't care if you talk or surf the net or whatever, as long as you get the job done and understand priorities. When things are busy you work flat out, but when things are quiet I don't mind if they lighten up a bit. I don't believe that a person should be working 100% of the time they are at the office. Personally, I believe in some 'down time' to think about tasks and time when I work hard.

There's an interesting article in www.cnnfn.com about this. The gist is that people need more time to think about what they're doing instead of just 'doing' stuff. In my field (accounting / finance) the highest pay goes to those who think up new ideas and improve stuff. People who just 'do' stuff and follow instructions without thinking aren't paid very much.
Alex

Although there is the matter of self-respect for employees (though some can rationalise it by saying they work hard at other times), ultimately responsibility comes back to the employer.

Maybe some employers employ 8 people when there's usually only work for 4 most of the time, but during busy times the 8 do the work of 12, so it evens out (and is more cost effective than constantly hiring and firing).

Some employers may lack imagination to use their employees effectively during slack times. Again responsibility for this is theirs. Though in theory employees should show initiative to make themselves useful when regular work is done (even if the added work is done at 50% productivity) in the end it's the bosses fault if initiative and time isn't used effectively.

Peter

Back