How to strata units

Hi all. We are fairly new to this forum and just looking for some advice from anyone who knows or has done this before. We own 5 units out west in NSW and are looking at changing them to strata title. Just looking for some input as to how we go about this and the costs associated with doing this. We only have one water meter and know that we need to get each one metered as well and not sure of the cost of this either? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Need to get it surveyed, plan showing common property etc to be submitted to LPI then a plan of strata subdivision.

Then would need to be lodged with Council for approval, unless it is a building that has been constructed in the last 5 years.

Fire separation, exits, lighting, smoke detectors, hose reels, fire doors, handrails, glazing, noise separation etc will all need to comply with current BCA conditions for the class of property.

Need to get it surveyed, plan showing common property etc to be submitted to LPI then a plan of strata subdivision.

Then would need to be lodged with Council for approval, unless it is a building that has been constructed in the last 5 years.

Just to clarify, even the 5 year drop dead for an active DA to do it as a complying development through a private certifier isn't carved in stone. I found a private certifier that would bend that rule when he found no reference to it in council's complying development documentation.

Didn't end up applying to me as I did a Section 96 new approval 12 months after the original DA approval which meant my Strata was still within the 5 year horizon for an active DA. The Section 96 acts as a new approval.

But otherwise all correct, and in most cases the 5 years is hard and fast too. Ended up costing me about $7,500 for the lot from the surveyor I chose.

Cheers,
Michael

Just to clarify, even the 5 year drop dead for an active DA to do it as a complying development through a private certifier isn't carved in stone. I found a private certifier that would bend that rule when he found no reference to it in council's complying development documentation.

Didn't end up applying to me as I did a Section 96 new approval 12 months after the original DA approval which meant my Strata was still within the 5 year horizon for an active DA. The Section 96 acts as a new approval.

But otherwise all correct, and in most cases the 5 years is hard and fast too. Ended up costing me about $7,500 for the lot from the surveyor I chose.

Cheers,
Michael

Sorry, just to confirm as I wasn't clear, that is if you are using the Codes SEPP - different standards may apply under council controls.

And you are correct regarding the S.96 application. That will teach me to shorten things on the phone :D

Back