Hunter Valley

Guys,

It has been a while since I put money into my home state of NSW. I have dabbled in the Melbourne and Adelaide market. Now I am considering something closer to home.

Does anyone have a view of areas like Cessock, Kurri Kurri, Weston, Maitland, and as far out as Muswellbrook?

What do people think of the lower socio economic areas within these suburbs. People have told me to avoid them like the plague...but want to get opinions of people on the ground.

I also noted that the Dept. of Housing in NSW seems to be flogging a lot of homes here. These usually have histories.....but you can still pick up some for around 150k-170K.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am planning a scouting trip up there soon.;)

You might want to check on Medowie when you are scouting in Hunter. Read in a paid report (propertyvalue report I think) that Medowie was set to rise significantly.

Maitland had a 14% median price growth over the last 12 months to December 2007, I did not have to go to Brissy or Melbourne to achive this kind of returns...

NOT all the Hunter is a low socio-economic "farm", the wineries, the 4.5 star resorts, the coal minery and the proximity to Newcastle, the biggest coal port in SE Asia... ahh the golf courses designed by the Shark...

Lots of buses heading that way daily full of turists wanting t have fun too.

And yes, stay away from the housing comm stuff, cheap does not equal good. Hey there is housing comm in the most expensive suburbs in Sydney, The Rocks for example...

Jon Salvador
www.headinghome.com.au

Just got back from a 4 day break in the Hunter and there is certainly food for thought! How does 34 acres of land including 2 cottages and a winery for around $550,000 sound?

Lots of opportunities for multiple income streams around those winery areas!

PJ, Sparky

Thanks for the info....looks like things are starting to happen.

Will take a drive up and have a look.

Cheers,
Sash

Back